BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 697 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

I am UK based, a Brit and have recently received a new job spec which contains responsibilities much more junior to my existing job spec. Also, a number of my key job functions have been omitted.

Background: I have been working in the London branch of this large multinational US company for 10 years, have never had any performance issues, and the company put me through Harvard Leadership course in 2014. My career has progressed really well, under a number of managers, until the new boss SS (Based in the USA) stepped in.

The first sign of trouble was my performance plan drafted by previous manager included a goal to step up one level end 2016. Although I overachieved targets end 2016, SS declined to promote me, stating there is no concrete evidence for the promotion. I continued working, performing functions at times higher than that of SS (such as Board Presentations). By end 2017 SS stated he will not action the promotion because if does not fit into his team structure. I told him I'd be looking for another job within the company, and applied for one (no feedback yet for this posting).

Yesterday, SS discussed my annual bonus and salary increase, no problems. Then he said me new title has changed slightly, and pointed me to a new HR website where all staff roles are aligned along with job specs.

The job specification I have been given now, comes into effect 1 March and the responsibilities are significantly more junior than what I have been performing for the past 3 years. It is significantly more junior than my current job spec, and large portions such as my Program Management responsibilities have been omitted. My title, pay scale and job grade is the same though.

I'm not of the nature to start grievance or HR steps, but feel very worried. Could the US bosses simply not know much about UK employment law, or is SS taking a fat chance with me?

The Mozzie vs. Loans.co.uk / MBNA / Bank of America

in

Horsham County Court - Jan 2008

for:

Breach of Data Protection Act 1998 and Money Laundering Regulations 2003 - dont ask me I am still studying these up!

:D

Please PM any help, tipz or relevant case studies

Less responsibility's, less to do, easier job, less stress for the same money.....

Bonus! Id jump at it!

sgtbush, while some may think this is a bargain, I see this as a significant change to my contract of employment, without consultation or my consent. I didn't attain two university degrees and 20 years of corporate experience to be shoved into a menial admin role, and would rather resign to progress my career elsewhere.

The Mozzie vs. Loans.co.uk / MBNA / Bank of America

in

Horsham County Court - Jan 2008

for:

Breach of Data Protection Act 1998 and Money Laundering Regulations 2003 - dont ask me I am still studying these up!

:D

Please PM any help, tipz or relevant case studies

They can change your job role as and when they like. You work for them.

If you dont like it all they will do is make an excuse of " restructuring the company" and they will change your contract.

If your not going to be happy in your job then I think you should look for a new position.

You need to be happy in your work.

sgtbush, while some may think this is a bargain, I see this as a significant change to my contract of employment, without consultation or my consent. I didn't attain two university degrees and 20 years of corporate experience to be shoved into a menial admin role, and would rather resign to progress my career elsewhere.

So resign then. Promotion isn’t a right. SS has decided not to promote you. The explanation given is that it doesn’t fit the team/corporate structure. It might be personal, it might not. What you gonna do? By announcing you’re applying for other roles youve shown your hand, burned your bridges and there ain’t no way it’s gonna happen now.

As for the fact SS is a Yank... I’ve worked for US global and they have a different approach. They are generally very brash and very to the point. The Yanks also have a very different employment law structure which doesn’t have a bearing in your case but it does explain SS’ behaviour.

Ask for a formal meeting to discuss. Highlight the issues that you have raised here and ask for the meeting to be minuted. Ask in very straightforward terms why your role seems to be downgraded and why your roads to promotion seem to be blocked. This falls short of a grievance, but could be used in exactly the same way should it be required

Not worth going on about employment law -I see nothing in your post which contravenes it. There is no automatic right to a promotion, and an employer can quite easily change job roles and responsibilities as they see fit. If your remuneration has not changed, then there would be no real grounds for action, so it may well be time to push harder for other opportunities either within or outside the organisation

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

One question for you.

I've re read your reply to me and I know That tone and meaning are hard to translate into the written word but I think you think you above all those people that do " menial " admin jobs because you have 2 degrees and 20 years of corporate experience.

To me this says your "one of those" that make up corporate speech without actually saying anything.

Things like take it to the next level and don't paint the business into a corner....

What's wrong with the boring old menial jobs....

Think of the cleaner in a hotel. They are just as important as the CEO.

The sooner you realise that the better manager you are.

They in fact keep businesses running more than corporate bull speech.

However, I digress.

Promotion is not a right

They can change your contract

They can change your Job role

You work for them not them for you.

If your not happy then leave. Its too much stress. Stress is a killer.

I look at it this way, iif you get the same pay and conditions for less responsibility it will be much easier to show a significant change to get a promotion when you just do what you used to do. If there is a grading structure at your company this will be a doddle.