unadopted private Rd..sign says 'will receive a 'penalty' of £60. - Legal signage?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just a general question, there's no hidden agenda.

A private road close to me has a no parking sign at it's entrance stating that anyone parking in the road will receive a 'penalty' of £60.

My question is are they allowed to use the word 'penalty'?

Thanks

The answer is really going to depend on if it's a proper "private" road (as in unadopted) or whether someone has knocked up a sign because the road only serves a few houses and they've decided that that makes it a "private road".

If it's the former (which it sounds like it is) then no, you can't be given a "penalty" charge notice for parking on the road. It'd be interesting to see them try :lol:

If it's an adopted road (maintained at public expense) then as long as there's a valid TRO then the council would probably be able to issue a penalty charge depending on the wording on the TRO etc.

It would be interesting to see the signage, but it sounds like someone might just be getting ideas above their station :wink:

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Thanks for the quick replies.

It is a private unadopted road and people going to the local mini supermarket opposite park on it.

I'll take a photo but that won't be until next week when I go that way again.

Thanks again.

Then they've got absolutely no chance of ever slapping a penalty charge notice on to anyone's windscreen, they wouldn't even be able to issue a valid parking charge with that signage :lol:

I dare say that the sign alone though puts an awful lot of people off from parking in the road, so I suppose that's it's effective even it's complete bunkum :thumb:

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Its like a lot of places around by me. Putting up signs saying they will issue a fine, or theyll clamp you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

interesting, as they arent offering a contract for parking then yes, any money claimed will be a penalty.

However, it will be an unenforceable unlawful penalty for a number of reasons, the chief ones being it is set out to deter and it isnt an offer of anything so no "performance".

Clearly someone has just wasted a few quid on a sign because unadopted roads may have an owner but generally they also have rights over them that would make it impossible to stop anyone using them without an injunction against that individual so I estimate the total cost of enforcement at around £280 million. A lot of money to spend to get the occasional £60 back

LOL. Well, can we all come and park there? Go on, can we? :lol:

Where to start really. "Penalty", "Fine" and to top it all off, not only were VP Parking Solutions turfed out of the BPA in 2013, the company was also 'Dissolved' the same year. As shown by Companies House.

That road would be a free for all for anyone that knew the above :wink:

Hi

I would think that the sign has been there a while as there is no longer a company called VP Parking Solutions. As mentioned, the sign fails on at least two factors. If you park there for an hour or so and see if you get a ticket, that would be funny.

You never know, one of the residents may have taken it upon themselves to enforce parking which is a no-no.

Basically, it is an advert with no meaning.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE