• Tweets

• This was my first (and last!) experience using Hermes to deliver a parcel. I learnt the hard way...    I posted a valuable item (my precious & perfect guitar) with Hermes that was delivered damaged. I paid for insurance and after an absolute nightmare getting in touch with them, then waiting 28 days, they said it is not covered.   However the recipient stated there is signs of rough handling to the package, therefore Hermes are still at fault. When I responded with this to them they replied:   ..."I assure you that any damage is not a lack of care from our couriers; they take great care of all our parcels in transit. Any damage done to parcels within our delivery process will have occurred whilst being sorted by the automated, heavy machinery within one of our large depots."   Surely this does not absolve them of liability?!   I sold my guitar on ebay for £265 and have had to refund this plus the £20 postage I paid in good faith that my guitar would reach the buyer intact.   I now am out of pocket and with my once pristine guitar damaged.   I am heartbroken about it, plus the stress it's caused, was only even selling due to being a new mum and not currently working, I could cry (well I have several times). Anyway was just looking for any advice re: attempting to take further cheers.
    • Pleased we can at least agree on that.  
    • I will await the final confirmation tomorrow I also attach the Draft Order, please can these be checked Andyorch and BankFodder before I submit these online tomorrow I of course will amend the details to add the names etc before I send this. In the Leicester county court Claim No. ... Before District Judge ……… Dated 23//10 20… Claimant/s Mrs XXXXXXX   and Defendant Goosedale Draft Order     IT IS ORDERED THAT: 1. . Pursuant to CPR 19.4.1 and CPR 19.2.2 (a) it is requested that a second claimant Mrs xxxxxx be added to this claim. It is desirable to add the new party so that the court can resolve all the matters in dispute in the proceedings. 2. The proposed amended particulars of claim be reserved Pursuant to Practice Direction 19 ( 2.1 ) ###### End of Order ######     Amended Particulars of claim for N1.   The claimant and second claimant joinder seek reimbursement of £7700 paid to the defendant on XXX date 2019 in respect of a frustrated contract for a wedding venue booked for the XX date 2020 and which was cancelled by the defendant as a result of implementing government restrictions in respect of Covid 19 Legislation.The principle claimant makes this claim pursuant to Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. The defendant has refused to refund the contract price. The claimant seeks £7700 plus interest plus costs.     N244_web_0818 COMPE.pdf
    • The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is again urging consumers struggling financially during the pandemic to seek help - after discovering that 12 million people have "low financial resilience" View the full article
    • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WrcF2oEOydGXCZYwhZcYB7QmnP_9jNaQ/view?usp=sharing I think I have figured it out. Sorry   
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Barnsley Premier leisure gym not harlands **WIPED BY THE GYM**

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 985 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hello. im just wanting a bit of advice please.

august 2016 i entered a 12 month gym contract - in october 2017 i went in to my gym and asked to cancel my membership. the receptionist took my details but it now seems she failed to cancel my contract. she did inform me to keep my direct debit open for one month, which i did, for any last payments to be obtained.

on the 1st of november a gym membership amount of £24.50 left my account and therefore i cancelled my direct debit. i believed this to all be sorted. i have had no contact from anyone in december or january - they have my mobile and house number, home address and my email address should they need to contact me.

i have today recieved a very nasty email from the CRS (not Harlands) saying i am in debt to the amount of £448!!! even if my membership had not been cancelled correctly, the amount i owe the gym would be £49 for both december and january. they have told me an admin fee had been added to the debt and the admin fee is £118 - the two gym payments and the admin fee come nowhere near the £488 they have quoted me.

i have had no contact from my gym or harlands prior to this email from CRS. i went straight to the gym to demand what was happening and they seemed as shock as i was.

do i need to pay anything? do i pay for december and january? im in shock right now about being so much in debt for absolutely no reason - should i not have recieved something earlier from the gym or harlands showing a problem on my account?

i really dont know what to do now. my gym only took on harlands group as there collection agency in january and they have had no dealings with them. the manager of the gym has offered to call harlands in the morning for me as nothing is showing up as a debt on my membership which for some admin reason is still classed as being active.

im at a loss of what to do - any advice would be appreciated

vicky

no you've done it correctly

1 month after cancel you paid

you are safe to ignore everything.

as you've read a few threads

you know they cant do a thing to you.

a DCA's in NOT a BAILIFF

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

its just a little scary

- never been in debt in my life and to receive such a strongly worded email knocked me off my feet.

im going back to the gym tomorrow as my children have swimming lessons there and im going to show them the kind of company they are dealing with.

do you think it matters that my membership is still showing as active??

this is also something im going to sort out at the gym tomorrow

many thanks for your speedy response

- panic and fear had set in straight away!!

wouldn't bother

you'll just get stone walled.

not their problem.

if its by email block them and bounce it back.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Bh and welcome to CAG

Other threads here will show you that Harlands/CRS (they are one and the same) threaten lots but do nothing.

By all means, tell the gym you're not happy that either :-

1. They failed to process your cancellation properly or .......

2. Harlands are trying to [problem] you out of nearly £450 !!

So, in any event, you could tell them they need to get Harlands/CRS off your case in the next 7 days or you'll make formal complaints about this naming the gym as jointly responsible for fraud and/or harassment.

Let us know what they say. If you want to take this further, I'll suggest a brief letter to send Harlands seeking info on the ludicrous amount they say you owe. I doubt they'll even dare reply.

Can you please confirm that this is a single m/ship for you at £24.50 per month.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

hi

spoke to the gym

they were as disgusted as i was with the letter.

they've spoken to harlands & i now have a letter from them confirming that no further action will be taken.

turns out they've only recently taken them on & it doesn't look like they were aware of the reputation beforehand.

i've pointed them in the direction of the many posts on here to help give them an idea of what they've let themselves in for!

thank you for all the advice :)

Hi Bhwarg and thanks for the update.

An excellent result for you.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)