• Tweets

• the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Excel/BW Claimform - PCN 14/12/2016 Cavendish Retail Park Keighley - *** Claim Dismissed with Costs ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, I just wondered because on a previous forum thread, the defendant had had a letter also offering to drop the claim for a reduced payment and was given this advice:

does the letter say "without prejudice"?

Even if it does you can use it against them as they are too late for such communications not to be considered as evidential.

take it with you to show that the claimant clearly acknowledges that their claim is for a ficticious amount

So I wondered whether I could use it to demonstrate that the amounts they are claiming are not reasonable?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggested that you ask them to pay you money and ask them how much they are offering!

ignore them as they know they are going to lose again and hope that you dont know anything about the previous case.

As for without prejudice letters, they can be used as evidence of certain things but dont constitutes a binding offer so if you ignore the letter and then tell the court that they said they would settle for £50 it wont be taken into consideration.

I suggested that a letter of this sort if sent at a time very close to the hearing would indicate that they know they don't have a claim in the first place.

I would expect them to discontinue at short notice once they get to know what your defence is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just received a letter from the County Court to say court date has been adjourned.

When I rang to ask if there was any specific reason the woman was initially a bit shirty with me as it is technically my husband's case.

I explained that I will be acting as his Lay representative and that I am dealing with it for him. She asked whether I had written to the judge and informed them or requested permission.

I said I hadn't as this was not mentioned in any of the info we have received and that I understood that the point of the small claims court was that people did not pay for legal representation and did it themselves.

Then she put me on hold to check coming back to me to say that if he was attending it should be ok but had i informed the court.

Please can anyone confirm

- do i need do inform them in writing that I will be doing the talking and that my husband will not be giving evidence as he will tie himself in knots and undoubtedly say something unhelpful.

Thanks

T

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

dont have to inform that a lay rep is presenting, same as the opposition doesnt have to say they will be using a solicitor. Read and take a copy of the stuff about lay reps, it will be linked via the parking pranksters blogspot or website

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Thought I would give an update and brief outline of how my case went in Court – hopefully might be of benefit and reassurance to other people who are being taken to court by Excel/ BW.

I can see a couple of other cases relating to this car park and would be willing to share relevant photos and the witness statement they sent to me.

Court date was 18th July case was heard by DJ Wright.

The representative sent by BW Legal was a Miss Kayani.

She introduced herself and asked if we wanted to go and have a discussion in a private room, I politely declined, this threw her a bit, she explained it would be more private. I advised her we were happy to discuss anything in the waiting room.

She stated that obviously the client intended to proceed with the claim for the full amount and proceeded to list of sums of money including her fee of £160 for the day, apparently “its 50/50 so could go wither way”. I politely smiled and said yes well let’s see what happens (im not sure how she came to that conclusion).

She then asked why I was representing my husband

– I said because he didn’t feel confident to do it himself.

Had we sent a request into the court

– no, we have not been instructed that that is necessary.

She then explained the process;

I will outline the case, you can’t ask me any questions.

I stopped her there to say that was not strictly true was it.

The Judge introduced herself and then asked who we were, she explained that if I was representing my husband then she would direct questions to me, if we wanted to have a quiet chat before responding that was fine.

Judge invited Miss K to explain her client’s case.

Their witness statement stated they would not be relying on POFA, instead they would be allowing on Elliott Vs Loake and CPS vs AJH Films. Great!

DJ Wright asked if Miss K had brought these cases with her for the Judge to read – she hadn’t as BW had only supplied the WS.

DJ Wright also asked if Mr. W had been supplied with these documents if they intended to rely on them in court – they had not.

So without having to speak DJ Wright said that she would give an indication:

-The purpose of POFA was to address situations where private parking companies were unable to ID the driver

- Excel/ BW WS did not follow POFA therefore they sought to rely on caselaw which they have not brought to court

- They have relied on the two cases on many occasions but they do not assist me

– the facts are different, they do not support the claim registered keepers have liability for other drivers

- Mr W cannot be liable for this on basis of being keeper therefore they need to rely on establishing Mr. W as the driver

- Burden of proof is on claimant to prove this, no legal obligation on Mr W to ID driver. No inference in law

– indeed the introduction of POFA suggests that this would be wrong otherwise POFA would not have been required.

The Judge asked what specific evidence Miss K had to prove this……

. tumble weed……..

she asked if the Judge wanted her to go into the signage.

- The PCN did not outline the basis for which the PCN was issued and no evidence was provided with it to show who was driving.

- The WS does not give any factual evidence

– they are merely submissions

I had also raised the fact that we had not been given any evidence to show that we had not paid and displayed, the print out of registration numbers was missing data from a machine and the overhead photos of the car park provided by Excel had conveniently missed off one of the machines.

Excel and BW have lost several cases based on this point.

I remarked that they are aware of this and so in their witness statement to me one of the machines appears to have disappeared.

The judge remarked that if it is correct that the court has been provided with information that is untrue and only partial then that is very concerning and the defendant may wish to consider whether or not to take this further.

Case not proven and therefore dismissed.

She then went on to say she could now consider costs

– I was ready with a schedule of costs

– literally every penny I had had to spend.

We went through it.

She then outlined what she could award costs for and then that she could only award certain costs if claimant had acted unreasonably.

I argued:

- Correct info was not included in particulars of claim as to the alleged breach, we could not reasonably defend something we had no knowledge of.

Miss K tried to argue that money claim online only allowed so many characters however DJ Wright stated that they should have used the characters to better use and

- Claimant did not provide complete and correct info as requested under CPR 31:14 in the time allowed.

Miss K referred to the bundle of c#*p that we eventually received, but I argued that it did not even contain a copy of the original pcn, parking data or photos as I had requested.

- BW Legal sent a letter in which they threatened to hand us a CCJ if we did not respond to their letter

– argued this was threatening and intended to frighten into paying

- Excel and BW have brought this action and yet failed to turn up to answer questions about their evidence

The judge said she had to consider what was unreasonable:

- POC did not identify legal and factual basis for claim and this was only apparent from the evidence the defence filed.

- Strange for a Claimant to choose not to rely on POFA when they may be entitled to instead relying on criminal case law which they must know are not persuasive

- Claimant has made the defendant come to court despite knowing they had no reasonable prospect of success highlighted by previous cases brought to the same court.

Costs awarded £448.05 payable in 14 days.

Miss K argued for 28 days as it was a large amount of money…….

Denied.

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Excellent stuff, TDRW and very well done. I'd be happy to let you represent me. :D

I'll update your thread title and see that you've already added it to the successful cases forum. Thank you for letting us know.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

What a shocking outcome- how dare the judge question the superpowers of Simon Renshaw-Smith and his lackeys.

Seriously though, well done for holding your nerve and getting the procedural points across that wre their undoing. Glad you also got the unreasonable costs order.

I would also like to think that as the court has dealt with Excal and their lazy useless lawyers before thsi will make Ms Kayani want to consider whether she takes any more of their duff masterpieces to present to the grown-ups.

Oh dear. Poor old Simon.

*wanders off chuckling*

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

The judge made comments about considering whether we should take the issue further regarding them bringing the case to court when they know they have failed to win in the past and also giving incomplete/ incorrect info.

I thought probably not a good idea to start accusing them of lying or being purposefully dishonest in regards to the submissions they made.

Any thoughts on this

- where would it be appropriate to take this and what would prospect be of any changes occurring as a result?

The judiciary like the term disingenuous. A polite way of saying lying gits.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

ha, the parking co does as they are the ones making the claims. Mopre foo them for believeing the soft soap fo the parking worlds second best solicitors. Funny how they seem to rely on the same FAILED points about Elliot v Laoke and AJH films. I would give them zero marks for their plagiarism.

Who pays costs...

BW Legal? Or Excel? I hope its BW...

as they havent followed the POFA then you have grounds to sue them for breach of the DPA as they lied when they accessed the DVLA database to get your keeper details. See VCS v Philip, Liverpool CC dec 2016. That sets the bar for damages without showing a schedule of loss and is based on Vidal Hall and others v Google that sets the principle of damages for unlawful processing of data.

Your claim would stand a very good chance of success where others suing for example PE over incorrect timings of ANPR cameras woudl find it harder because PE by and large use the POFA even where their claims for money are wrong for other reasons.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Seriously tho... I might get my knuckles wrapped for this but...

Prankster Notes

BW Legal has been awarded “Legal Team of the Year” at the CICM British Credit Awards 2016. The Chartered Institute of Credit Management (CICM) is the recognised standard in the credit and collections industry and is Europe’s largest professional association for the credit community

It is incredible that such an incompetent no-hoper legal firm like BW Legal are apparently the best of the legal teams in the credit industry. This means there are worse legal teams out there**

BW Legal CEO Sean Barton claims to be a solicitor but his team seem to fail to understand the basics of litigation, including how to obey practice directions when filing particulars of claim or signing a claim. Sean Barton's team file template witness statements with incorrect facts and with matters clearly not in the knowledge of the witness. His understanding of the legal situation around parking is deeply flawed and the advocates Sean Barton uses are poorly briefed. His team send out letters deliberately misrepresenting the situation and provide false information to try and bully motorists into paying charges they do not owe. On the phone, Sean Barton's operatives lie and provide false information.

Sean Barton advises his clients to file claims they have no hope of winning if properly defended apparently in the hope that the victim does not realise the true legal position and so pay up rather than defending the claim.

His operatives are so incompetent they expose their clients to large counterclaims and to extra costs under the unreasonableness rule.

Sean Barton therefore appears to the Prankster to be a particularly incompetent solicitor, who is bringing the legal profession into disrepute and it is poor reflection on the legal regulators that they allow such people to continue in practice.

It is an even worse reflection on the legal regulators that there are apparently many more incompetent people than Sean Barton people in the credit industry, as the 2016 award clearly show.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Well we received a cheque from BW last Friday, paid from their office account

- I wonder if they get paid by Excel on a no win - no fee basis!

I was expecting to have to send them a reminder.

Discontinuation notice from the court also received.

In response to the "Legal Team of the Year" award, i might nominate myself next year.

In all seriousness the professional standards are shocking

- I can't believe they are allowed to practice and refer to themselves as solicitors!

Would a Complaint to the SRA come to anything?

Are they interested in companies like this and the way they practice?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

As for a complaint to the SRA.... You could, but it's probably a waste of your own time to be honest. If the SRA were serious about 'regulating' the industry, Gladrags et al would have been struck off years ago :lol:

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

yes i was expecting the cheque to come from Excel. Although BW Legal letters kept referring to out "account" with them as though they had taken over our supposed "debt" so maybe Excel have already received their expected costs from BW?

nah, BW now bill Excel for £210 on top of what the court order said had oto be paid to you. however, as BW also send out successful threatograms and collect those £160's and pass on the flat £100's they probably have a few quid on account in their coffers for such eventualities.