Scottish Power opening meter read incorrect by 6000 units

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

last year I helped my grandmother switch from EON to Scottish Power to save some money on her energy bills,

in October of last year when they requested meter readings we noticed that the previous meter reading showing on their website was in the region of 6000 units lower than the reading we had just taken.

We contacted Scottish Power using their online contact form and explained the situation,

they requested a photograph of the meter showing the serial number and current reading,

then confirmed that the serial number was correct and that the meter read was indeed anomalous.

At this point they requested we take photographs of the meter reading every day for a week to check if there was an issue with the meter reading too fast,

we provided these

at the end of the week the usage seemed normal,

Scottish Power determined that the previous supplier had given them an incorrect opening meter read.

On 2nd November Scottish Power advised that they would go back to the previous supplier and request that they amend their final meter read to a correct one and that within 28 days the opening meter reading on the Scottish Power account would be corrected.

Shortly after my grandmother received an amended final bill from eON for £90 which showed they had amended their final meter read to the one specified by Scottish Power.

After this was paid we just assumed that the issue would be resolved.

Come late December Scottish Power sent an automated mail requesting meter readings so we took these,

upon logging in to the website again we found that the online account still showed a meter read 6000 units too low.

I replied to Scottish Power's e-mails on the matter on 25th December and received a response on 2nd January apologising and stating that they would once again get in touch with eON to have them amend their final meter read and that the issue would be resolved within 28 days.

I immediately replied to this e-mail on the same day,

advising Scottish Power that the previous supplier had already amended their final meter reading and that the issue was with the Scottish Power opening read, and that any changes needed to be carried out by Scottish Power.

I never received a response to this mail.

I sent another mail reply on 13th January,

beyond the automated

"We will respond within 48 hours" there was no reply forthcoming, and the online Scottish Power account still shows a meter reading 6000 units short of what it should be.

As far as I can tell what's happened is that either Scottish Power have made a mistake when opening the account,

as it appears from the amended final bill that eON did provide a correct final read originally,

or shortly after opening the account a Scottish Power meter reader came to the property and read the meter,

because the meter is at floor level they mistook a 6 for a 0 and then amended the meter read downwards themselves.

We just want Scottish Power to amend the meter read on their system so that we can submit accurate meter readings without running the risk of being charged for 6000 units of usage that has already been paid to previous suppliers.

Long term this issue also prevents switching providers as the new provider will be given the incorrect meter reads and the problem will start all over again.

All communication with Scottish Power so far has been in writing via e-mail and we'd prefer to keep it that way so that everything is recorded/documented.

I was planning on following the Scottish Power official complaints process this weekend,

before that I was wondering if anyone here had an e-mail address for the Scottish Power CEO that I could try and contact on my grandmothers behalf and see if they can get this issue sorted out faster.

Exhaust their complaints procedure first, then when that fails, as they do, then complain to the CEO and have an adult correct the mistake.

Not only should you be emailing them, you MUST also follow it up with a hard copy, and keep a record of events, obtain ''proof of posting'' which is free from the PO counter.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks.

Given that they seem to be ignoring e-mails

I think what I'll do is go and see my grandmother this weekend

and we'll call them up to log the complaint

(I'll get a call recording app on my phone to do this)

since I won't be able to talk to them about her account without her present to authorise me.

Once we've done this I'll see about also sending a letter to them stating the reference number we were given on the phone, stating in the letter that this is just a written follow up of the complaint for both our and their records.

I might also tweet them and ask why they're ignoring e-mails about my elderly grandmothers gas meter issues in the middle of winter.... :)

Exhaust their complaints procedure first, then when that fails, as they do, then complain to the CEO and have an adult correct the mistake.

Not only should you be emailing them, you MUST also follow it up with a hard copy, and keep a record of events, obtain ''proof of posting'' which is free from the PO counter.

Do you not mean " have an audit to correct the mistake."!

Andrew

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!

no BB meant adult...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Logged the complaint via the phone,

so should be getting a call from a complaint handler at 1pm this afternoon.

(The initial call was recorded and the one from the complaint handler will be as well)

To make things a bit simpler the call handler checked the log of communication between Scottish Power and the previous supplier and confirmed that both suppliers had agreed that the opening meter reading is what I said it should be

(But that is still 6000 units more than what Scottish Power have down as the opening meter reading, and about 5700ish units more than the current meter reading on the My Account section of the website when estimated usage is taken into account)

so at least there's no argument over the numbers from the looks of things.

If the complaint handler tries giving me a different story

I'll take great delight in saying I can send them a recording of the call where Scottish Power told me this :)

Of course that begs the question of why Scottish Power never did anything with this final/opening meter read if they had received it and agreed it was correct!

I'll get to work on a follow-up letter as well after speaking to the complaint handler this afternoon.

Well no phone call, but did get an e-mail at about 12 saying that they have now gone back and amended the opening meter readings for 31st March 2017.

Logged onto the online account and the submit meter readings does now show the correct value.

Looking at the billing history what they've done is nullified all of the previous bills and refunded it as credit to the account,

then generated a brand new bill to cover all usage since 31st March 2017,

which looks correct and still actually leaves the account in about £130 credit.

They've asked us to submit actual meter readings using the online tool after a 48 hour period, so I'll do that this coming weekend.

Glad to see they've got this sorted seemingly before I even had the chance to send in a letter as a follow up to the complaint, and at least their resolution has been given in writing via e-mail (Though would've been a recorded phone call regardless).

Just amazes me that what this one person could resolve in less than 5 minutes couldn't be resolved in over 2 months of contact with their customer services.

2 months of customer diservice, that's all you ever get with rip of energy companies.

Well done though, good result! Vote with your feet now and move to another energy company.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yep, as soon as her fixed price term is up at the end of March and there's no exit fees I'll be moving my grandmother to another supplier :)

And getting some Quidco cashback out of the deal going through uSwitch :whoo:

And after singing their praises a new issue arises.

Have just received an e-mail that, despite the account being £132 in credit after being rebilled with the amended meter readings, the direct debit is insufficient and needs to be increased from £66/month to £93/month.

Have replied to the e-mail from the complaint handler telling them to take it as official notice that the increase is not authorised and asking them to reply and confirm it won't increase. I suspect this is just some automated process that's happened due to them refunding all the previous bills to the account and then re-billing, but it's something the complaint handler should've expected and stopped before it happened.

Cancel the DD NOW! And set up a standing order for £66, they ALWAYS pull this stunt with me, offered me £38 a month energy bill on accurate usage figures, then bumped it to £48, and now they're trying to swindle me for £81 a month, never going to happen, I simply pull the plug on them and set up a S/O and argue with them later.

Managed to get the Direct Debit back to the original price through the complaint manager

I understand the advantages of the Standing Order, but for my grandmother the Direct Debit is just easier to manage.

One crafty thing I noticed, in the e-mail when they told us that they were increasing the direct debit it was basically just a notice implying "We're doing this, it has to be done, tough"

The notice that the direct debit was being reduced however had a link to the "Direct Debit Manager" which allows you to go online to increase/decrease your direct debit at will.

Odd that Scottish Power have this facility, but only tell you about it when they're lowering your payments along with the implication that you can use it to increase your amount instead.

Oh, and Scottish Power did finally respond to my tweet 5 days later, after I'd already made an official complaint :)

A big thanks to everyone though, especially Bazooka Boo for the great advice!

Think we can mark this one as resolved. Now where's that donate link....

Excellent WELL DONE!! :thumb: Just keep a close eye on them....... I'm sure they'll behave, but you just don't know....