• Tweets

• Hi.   I think you may need advice from a wills and probate lawyer on this, to make sure everything is right. especially given your father's problems.   If you want to do your own research, the CAB website is quite good and there may be others I don't know about.   One thing I can see a potential problem with and we're asked this a lot if you look around the General Legal forum, is your parents' house being transferred to you and your mother continuing to live there if she doesn't pay you a commercial rent. Have a read online about Retained Interest.   HB
    • and further referring to wasted money It would appear that the PPE bill for contracts awarded to Tory populist mates without either competition, basic requirements suitability vetting, or proper reporting to parliament is actually around 18 billion pounds rather than 12 billion pounds ..  despite Johnson 'the Liar' repeatedly lying about it to parliament .. all for about 2-4 billion pounds worth (still at inflated prices) at best of usable PPE   Including it seems things like: Paying a Tory populist pal middleman with no experience 27ish million pounds (20%+) 'finders fee' to get some mostly unusable PPE at 4 times the normal price or more - about 127 million pounds for about 25 million pounds worth of PPE .. if it had all been usable   https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-covid-contracts-court-b1813003.html     heres the Tory populist accounting basics instruction page https://www.rankred.com/biggest-financial-frauds/
    • Not sure if the above issue is covered in this group but if so I am after some advice.   My Dad is in his late 90's and on his death leaves everything to my Mum, also in her 90's but housebound. It is our intention and the request of Mum that when Dad has passed that the property she is currently living in is sold, we sell our property as well and we purchase a property with an annexe and self contained toilet / shower facilities where Mum could live out her days with us. There is no way on this Earth that she would go into an old folks home and it's certainly not on our agenda. Our daughter is their registered carer who currently looks after them.   Mum's Will as it stands at present states that I inherit her estate on her death.  She is talking about transferring the property she  currently resides in to me so that I can handle the sale of both properties. As her Will currently stands, the property she is living in will have already been sold so the Will won't be applicable. Could she change her Will now to state that on Dad's passing her property passes to me or can she gift the property?   The simple thing would be for Dad to change his to state that the property transfers to me but he is currently suffering with dimentia. He hardly knows what day of the week it is and gets very confused and agitated.   Any advice would be grateful. Thanks
    • One very useful admission to obtain from them in a recorded call would be to get them to admit that they hadn't informed you in advance as to the cost of the car rental. So for instance – "I'm just calling to find out what the cost of the car rental is because when you first approached me, it wasn't explained. I'm just want to find out so I can start arranging to pay how much I owe you." Something like that. The point is somehow or other to get them to acknowledge that they hadn't told you the rate at the time. It's an implied term of any contract the services that where no price has been agreed – then a reasonable price will be implied. Clearly you are not being asked to pay a reasonable price
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies
  • Recommended Topics

Someone elses EE Signal Booster Box is causing interference!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1141 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

The Issue

One of the neighbouring offices at my place of work has recently added an EE signal booster box to their office, which effectively acts as a 3G mast which then routes all calls though their internet connection. You can't opt in or opt out to this like on Vodafone or other networks, if someone has one on EE, your EE phone will simply use that connection when in range.

I used to get a moderate 4G signal in my office without any call quality issues, but now my phone has a full 3G signal instead. Their internet connection is terrible and my mobile internet often cuts off and calls drop off frequently.

Ofcom

I've done a bit of research regarding these boosters, and have found that 3G booster boxes are only legal for consumers if provided by a service provider such as EE, as long as they don't cause interference to other people / customers.

My complaint with EE

I called up a few times, and was told that there is nothing I can do about it, apart from turn on WiFi calling. I can't use WiFi at work. Eventually after speaking to the cancellations department, I got through to someone who seemed to be genuinely interested in helping me. He said I can't cancel without paying the rest of my contract. I quoted the Ofcom document I found, he literally read half of it while I was on the phone to him. We ended the call with him saying he would find out more information.

The next day, he calls and says he's spoken to lots of people internally but as it's a brand new issue they've never faced, they went away to look into it more. Eventually coming back with that there is nothing I can do, and nothing they can do about it. They did suggest I speak to the people that have the signal booster, but there is literally around 20 offices that it could be. I suggested about proving me with a signal box but they said they wouldn't because that would cause interference :lol:

(My phone cut out around 5 times while on the calls with EE due to this bloody signal box and WiFi calling)

Possible resolution

As my job requires me to be contactable at work, I got permission to use WiFi at work, and so I could use WiFi calling at work, the next time EE called, I told the guy this, and he agreed to end the complaint, and credited me with 1 month free.

WiFi calling simply doesn't work

I've made several calls at work, and with WiFi calling on, the line is dead on my side, but the other side's phone rings, and is also dead when picking up. I miss a lot of calls now where my phone just doesn't ring.

Why I'm posting this

I cannot use my mobile phone in the one place I use it the most which is in the office. I need to be contactable as often as possible. I feel like they are breaking the law by having providing a signal box which is causing interference to other devices. I feel that EE should have an opt out feature to allow my phone to avoid using other peoples signal boxes on bad internet connections, otherwise there is nothing stopping anyone from connecting a signal booster to a internet connection designed to drop out every few seconds.

Am I overreacting or are EE breaking the law?

why not approach the firm that's installed the new EE box?

it might be near your wall etc or beaming you way

a slight re orientation or a tin foil bag or A4 covered tinfoil sheet could be used to screen the signal your way.

we used to install Wi-Fi repeaters throughout multi floored building

an extremely simple box covered in tin foil where required solved inter floor / room roaming perfectly.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Depending on your phone, in settings you may be able to tell your handset to ignore 2g & 3g networks, meaning that it only connect to a 4g signal.

Of course, that'll be a pain in the neck if you're not getting a 4g signal, and you might have to change the settings when you get to (and leave) the office (if the 4g signal isn't too great in your area), but it would at least solve the immediate problem.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

One of the neighbouring offices at my place of work has recently added an EE signal booster box to their office, which effectively acts as a 3G mast .......

They did suggest I speak to the people that have the signal booster, but there is literally around 20 offices that it could be.

why not approach the firm that's installed the new EE box?

it might be near your wall etc or beaming you way

a slight re orientation or a tin foil bag or A4 covered tinfoil sheet could be used to screen the signal your way.

we used to install Wi-Fi repeaters throughout multi floored building

an extremely simple box covered in tin foil where required solved inter floor / room roaming perfectly.

Which of the 20+ offices should the OP try first?

How will the OP know that the person at that office (if they say “not us guv”) actually has any idea what a femtocell is......