• Tweets

• Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
    • That's a shame but not unexpected.  I'm not sure about your assumed  questions because I haven't been to court but I'm not sure about not accepting a criminal record. It could be a language thing but it isn't your choice unfortunately.  HB
    • Have you previously requested the agreement by a CCA request ?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Accidently cancelling E4L gym membership

koshizee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am in urgently, need your help and advice guys.

Me and my mother signed up to E4L around July last year which we have been using fine for past four months.

my father noticed a strange direct debit leaving their joint account, which he didn't recognised so he cancelled it.

This we later found out to be from Harland or E4L, £11.99.

He cancelled this direct debit via bank and then mother got an email from them, stating the account is now in default.

A £25 admin fee has been added alongside the month where the monthly payment has not been released.

Additionally, my mother has not been well due to a heart condition so she not even had the chance to use their service around Nov/Dec.

I contacted the harland team and mentioned that mother been in hospital and my father accidently cancelled the contract.

They,

however, would not accept this and persist in paying the £25 fine and a months membership, which we decline.

We are OK to pay the monthly fee but not the fine.

I believe my father, recently, went back to the bank to reinstate the direct debit.

What is the best way on moving forward?

Any advice will be appreciated thank you very much

KoshiZee

cancel the DD

they'll take the admin fee which you are correct you shouldn't be paying.

its NOT A FINE!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Make sure you put in writing to them that you will not be paying the £25 admin fee – unless they can give you a detailed breakdown as to how they have arrived at that figure and how it reflects any actual losses.

opps thank shouldn't

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Koshi and thanks for starting the thread here.

My comments are about YM's gym m/ship - not your own.

Tell YD to cancel the reinstated DD or Harlands will use it to collect whatever they say is owed, including their admin fees.

Don't contact the gym or Harlands by phone at all as this will get you nowhere in resolving the issue.

We'll assist with a letter to the gym and Harlands once YD has cancelled the DD mandate so please confirm when this has been done.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you guys for your detailed response.

If my mother wanted to stay with E4L will she still need to pay the fine? If she rejoined would it be a new or an old contract?

Seem like she still wants to use the gym as it was canceled accidentally.

Is there anyway we can keep the DD without paying the admin fee?

where do they use the word FINE please?

dx

and they

Hi Koshi,

If YM wants to remain a member despite the health issue, she (or you) needs to contact X4Less Head Office at Leeds.

Simply tell them YD cancelled the DD mandate in error and she wants to stay a member but ONLY if they agree to waive any admin fees that Harlands seek to charge.

If the gym refuses to help, YM should cancel the DD immediately as Harlands will use it to claim whatever they want.

Keep us updated ...........

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi,

I am planning to contact them this afternoon.

In the meantime, i have received an email from Harland replying back to an email which I sent a week ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We thank you for your email.

The charges that have recently been applied to your account have been done so in line with your membership Terms and Conditions.

The amount of this charge is representative of the cost of the administration relating to your payment being returned unpaid. This includes collecting information from the bank, manually returning the payment, issuing a notice letter or email and dealing with any correspondence in relation to the payment from the member.

Once each payment has been returned unpaid, a letter or email is issued detailing the charge, the reason it has been applied and when we will attempt recollection of the initial monthly amount and the additional amount.

May we confirm, £25.00 is the amount deemed by our directors as representative of our costs in dealing with the administration involved with a missed or returned payment.

Upon agreeing to the terms and Conditions of your membership, you have in turn agreed to these charges.

Please contact our offices before the 20th January 2018 to avoid any further charges from being incurred.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

For all Enquiries Call Harlands : 01444 449033 () Quote Reference : xxxxxxx

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will see if i can get E4L to waive the admin fee if not I will get my father to cancel the DD immediately.

Hi,

I spoke to E4L representative and they have suggested either way if we stay or leave we will have to pay £25.

They have said if you stay - You will have to pay £25 on top your entire contract over £100 or £25 admin fee and missed payment £11.99.

I want to know - if we decide to cancel the DD, where do we stand and what do (Harland) have authority to do?

simple ans is they can do nothing

just lots of scary letters

then the powerless fake CRS DCA letters

DCA's are not bailiffs anyway and have ZERO legal powers on any supposed debt.

plenty of threads here to read

and as gyms don't do court

and neither appears on credit files

its all total useless hot air

and they

Get father to pay the Admin Fee. His cancelling the DD triggered it!

Harland's response is fair & reasonable IMO.

............ apart from the fact that Harlands seek to charge an admin fee which is effectively a penalty and therefore wholly challengeable.

Koshi,

If YM is happy to pay a £25 penalty fee for this error, that's entirely her prerogative.

If she's not happy, let us know and we'll suggest a letter to send the gym saying Harlands must waive the admin fee or she'll cancel.

Letter to the gym's Head Office in Leeds :-

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my membership at xxxx gym for which my DD mandate was cancelled in error by my husband.

I want to remain a member but am not willing to pay the admin charges which Harlands want to charge.

If you confirm in writing that you'll instruct Harlands to waive their admin fees, I will reinstate the DD mandate.

Or if you prefer, I can start a new membership as long as you confirm Harlands will not use the new DD mandate to collect the old admin fees.

Yours faithfully,

I would certainly cancel any active DD until you get a written reply from the gym.

Ignore any demands or contact from Harlands/CRS.

NO NEVER USE EMAIL

we said WRITE A LETTER

you've simply given them a free way to harass you now and they'll ignore the email too

and they

Send a hard copy to -

Xercise4Less

1, Kirkstall Industrial Estate

Kirkstall Road

Kirkstall

Leeds

LS4 2AZ

Get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO as proof.

If they reply to you by email, let us know so we can advise further.

quick update; they have replied with the following via email:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email

Unfortunately we will be unable to remove the charges applied as you have agreed to the terms and conditions of your membership in which advises you that if a payment is missed, you may incur an administration charge of £25.00.

Kind regards,

----------

What is the best way to proceed from here?

you block and bounce their emails back as undelivered.

nothing you need to do at all.

and they

Is this from X4Less or Harlands ?

Is this from X4Less or Harlands ?

This was from X4Less

Membership Enquiries

Head Office

Head Office

Xercise 4 Less

Unit 1, Kirkstall Industrial Estate

Kirkstall Road

Leeds

LS4 2AZ

Via email.

You now have 2 choices :-

1. Write to the gym saying YM will pay Harlands admin fees (they may now want more than just 1 x £25 admin fee) to resume the m/ship.

OR

2. Tell the gym they are wrong to allow Harlands to charge unlawful admin fees so, consequently, they are in breach of your agreement which you now consider terminated.