Close to being caught at M&S

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I must admit that I was a frequent lifter.

Usual method is self-checkout at many groceries stores.

I have not been caught before but came very close today at M&S.

I am a student who's currently working at a mall during winter break to make some cash.

After work, I decided to head to M&S to grab groceries and pocketed a piece of steak and paid for other items.

When I exited the store, I felt someone was following me and quickly turned a corner and ran to hide

- it was an M&S LP who followed me.

I managed to lose him.

Although I didn't get caught,

I am very certain that they will look over CCTV and try to ID me.

I paid for some of my foods with my debit card as well which could be traceable.

Not to mention I work in the same mall that the store is in.

If any of you could give me some information about the likelihood of getting caught then please let me know.

I will now go to work via a different door and wear different clothes to avoid suspicion.

Gonna get a haircut as soon as possible.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

I have decided it is not worth it to save money by lifting.

A 7 pounds steak could have costed me my degree and a prosperous future.

If you are young and are reading this:

please stop before the odds are against you.

Regardless of the reason why you steal,

the LP will not want to hear it.

I wish you the best of luck quitting this toxic habit.

A Mall? Are you American? Or are you originally from the UK?

What is an LP?

STOP stealing is possibly the best advice,

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If you are daft enough to steal £7 of Steak from the 'Mall' you work in, then you probably deserve everything you get.

What's your Degree going be in?

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

LP stands for "Loss Prevention". They are the people who observe/deter you when you lift.

Thanks for the advice, Bazooka Boo, I will do my best.

Yes I get it now ta.

Is this normal behaviour for you?

Where about in the country, not London by chance?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I live in somewhere in South Yorkshire.

It started from the beginning of this year and gotten worse as time passes.

The adrenaline you get from bluffing to staffs and LPs as you pretend to scan items for CCTV or walking out whilst smiling was intense.

As the thrill fades then guilt starts to wash over.

The more someone lifts successfully, the more arrogant they will become.

This is what Lps prey on I think: If you succeed once, you are gonna come back.

They will catch you when you are at your most vulnerable.

What's your Degree going be in?

H

I would prefer not to say to avoid giving personal information.

As for the choice of lifting from the "shopping center" that I work in, I must admit it was stupid.

I do know that you shouldn't take a dump where you eat, but in the heat of the moment you lose the ability to make the best judgement (although I should have made the judgement to never lift in the first place).

I do understand that my action is morally wrong and I am not denying that.

That is why I want to warn others before it gets too late for them.

It only takes one time to really ruin your reputation.

Hi

CAG does not condone this type of action and you need to stop.

You need to consider that if caught and they decided to take this to court and you ended up with a conviction how this would impact your intended career.

You say international US student also are you here on a visa could you clarify?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I understand that CAG doesn't condone lifting - it's a terrible habit that myself and a lot of others get trapped in.

If you have any advice on how to fix my problem, I would be very happy to listen.

I'm registered as an international student in the UK with Tier 4 visa.

I've been in an U.S-speaking curriculum for my entire life which explains why I use words like "mall".

Hope the explanation cleared things up for you

even if they did trace you

which they wont

wouldn't be police etc involved

simply scary letters from the likes of powerless RLP.

go see you doctor.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The adrenaline you get from bluffing to staffs and LPs as you pretend to scan items for CCTV or walking out whilst smiling was intense.

As the thrill fades then guilt starts to wash over.

The more someone lifts successfully, the more arrogant they will become.

This is what Lps prey on I think: If you succeed once, you are gonna come back.

They will catch you when you are at your most vulnerable.

I don't think the successful 'professional' shoplifter becomes more 'arrogant' as their 'career' progresses, nor that the 'buzz' increases for them.

Those (to my mind) are indicators that the shoplifting is becoming an illness, and one where the offender will get caught, as their illness escalates the offending.

It almost seems like you considered it 'a game', and one where the LP staff 'prey on' shoplifters : I don't think they prey on them, rather that they are paid to prevent loss, and are doing their job!.

If you hold a visa granting you entry to the UK : you have an additional reason to seek help, as a conviction could result in immigration woes for you.

Oh my, when I first started reading this thread I did think there was an element of boasting but as I read further it does seem that you want to get of this particular ride. The ONLY person who will help you to stop...is YOU.

Wanting to stop is only the first stage. Identifying the reasons behind your thieving is the second stage. Getting a 'buzz' does suggest that something isn't right and you feel sad, leading you to want the thrill, the Adrenaline rush and this helps you but the feeling falls away quicker each time.

Absolutely talk to a GP. They have a duty of confidence to you unless they are in fear for your wellbeing and they may just be able to direct you to appropriate help. Is there no suitable guidance counsellor on campus?

In recent weeks, there has been news that police will not normally take action against anyone where the value of the goods stolen are less than £200 except where multiple cases of offending behaviour is spotted or where violence is used. If you have been identified by the store, the police may send you a letter but as to what that may enclose, I don't know.

What I would ask is that you stop stealing as otherwise you will be just wasting our time. Just be grateful you didn't shoplift in the U.S as their civil remedies are very costly.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE