Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Ho @honeybee13,     Re the account number...Phew! Thank you for that...I'm normally pretty careful in redacting stuff but, did post this very late last night and then started working on...redacting some documents 🙄......in the early hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep, which was in preparation for bringing you up to speed with everything.   Re your question: that's what spurred me on to finally join the site: npower have been in so many breaches over the years, it's mind numbing. One of their latest series of breaches even involves the Ombudsman sanctioning those breaches 👿 Here's what he said about this:-   "The other aspect is in relation to the deadlock letter. You are unhappy that this was sent to your nephew, Mr Sxxxx, but addressed to you. I did seek clarification from npower regarding this and they confirmed what I suspected. Because Mr Sxxxx has been assisting you with your complaint and is a named representative on your npower account, as he is on your account with us, npower state that he had requested information from them, including a deadlock letter. npower therefore sent the deadlock letter to Mr Sxxxx but because the deadlock letter is about your account, the deadlock letter was addressed to you. This is a reasonable explanation from npower, and I do not class this as a breach of GDPR because npower has not shared your personal data with anyone they were not meant to."    
    • Thanks, I have only raised it the once and just took the chance to ask if he'd spoken to the chap and once done, fully intended to thanks both. No, I don't want all the hassle, saying I'd pull my big girl pants up and listen to advice given on here. It was he who began to shout at me so I tried to stand my ground. I know these things can get out of hand. What happens if I need work on the panel in future and for workmen to be at that height interrupts their signal? This isn't a hypothetical question as I've had to have remedial work done in 2015, two years after install with scaffolding up to the roof line?  I really dont want grief again at a later date. Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated.
    • That's certainly an avenue worth exploring. It's a shame when somebody's driving record suffers because of what is essentially an "administrative" offence. Unfortunately there's no difference in the penalty between what happened here and somebody tanking it at 120 on the M1 simply declining to name the driver in order to avoid the (almost inevitable) ban for that offence.   As well as that he may be asked whether he has any unspent convictions in (say) the past five years and whatever the position with his licence he must answer "yes" to that. Whilst penalty points become spent when they cease to have an effect (i.e. after three years) the accompanying endorsement is not spent until five years have elapsed. The problem I think the OP may face is that it is often the employer's insurers who set the conditions and they may not be easily swayed.
    • Would it be an option to appeal to the company looking to employ you, explaining the situation (why you have points on your licence) and highlighting that the index offence wasn’t committed by you, and now you are more aware of the need for company policies tracking drivers, to protect the other company staff?
  • Our picks


WTC overpayment

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 579 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi I am now a pensioner and not very good with computers .


My problem being

- late return of year ending WTC form.


I had a letter from HMRC that I had failed to return the form (which I had) .

I then contacted hmrc by phone and explained and apologised that at the time I should have filled in the form I had been in hospital where I was diagnosed with cancer , he was very polite and sympathetic and told me not to worry and ignore the letter as I had until January to complete and return it .


This is where I do get really confused

although he did say something with reference to the letter

and I cant remember what he said ,

one of the side effects of cancer is memory loss (not my words)

anyone professional within that area will confirm .


I then (again dates unknown) firstly receive from HMRC a letter stating an underpayment of around £153 , and a couple of days later another letter stating I owed the full payment that we had received for the 2016/17 year .


I contacted the "debt recovery" number on the letter and explained all the above ,

which the agent informed myself that there was nothing she could do but I would be sent an "appeals" form which I have received .

Could someone please advise regards roy.


Hi Just to clarify so as not to confuse ,

I retired at the end of the 2016/17 financial year = April.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Roy,


Write to them explaining that you were in hospital with Cancer and was therefore unable to fill in the relevant forms. Get a note explaining this from your consultant or GP and send them a copy. Explain that under the Tax Credits own code of practice COP 26 you would like the over payment cancelled.


For your own reference here is the extract from the COP 26 most relevant to you. I would say a cancer diagnosis is an exceptional circumstance.


If you need to discuss financial hardship with us, phone us to

explain this.

When you phone we may ask you about any family circumstances

that may lead to extra living costs. For example, if you’re looking

after someone who is chronically ill or disabled. In some exceptional

circumstances, we may cancel an overpayment altogether


Here is the link to COP 26 for your own reference



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and thanks ,

I contacted as said a few days a go and explained that I could not pay and explained the circumstances and if forced to do so would take the overpayment to the grave ,


the agent asked me did I have any other form of income apart from pensions

I told her no which is the case ,

she replied something like ,




need this sorting

because I do not want to leave my wife of 47 years with any debt.

PS sorry abut the capitals.

Edited by honeybee13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure such debts in your name could transfer to your wife on your passing.


I should have added that any debts in your sole name will be part of your estate on death and if you left anything, debts would come out of your estate.


So anyone dealing with your affairs is likely to have to deal with this and you might wish to seek advice about what you can do legally to ensure your wifes interests are protected.

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi , with reference to the alleged "overpayment" , having spoken with someone as said from HMRC debt recovery department , who informed me that I could make an appeal or , leave things as they are because as now both me and my wife both being retired pensioners , our income is "to low" to make any re-payment , the only setback being that we would receive correspondence from them every so often , and should reply informing them that our circumstances "haven't changed. Can this be true ???? , should I go down this line or make an appeal ???.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Not sure such debts in your name could transfer to your wife on your passing.


Working Tax credit claims are joint, therefore she would be liable for the debt (at very least, her half of it). Basically OP did not complete and return the renewal form, which is a legal requirement under section 17. If this is not completed all payments in the current tax year are an overpayment, because you failed in your legal obligation to complete the form.


So the first important question is when did you call the helpline? If it was within 60 days of the 1st Specified Date deadline, the agent should have taken your income details and sorted out the claim. If calling after the 60 days, you *may* have had "Good Cause" in which case it could have been sorted at the agent's discretion. Note: I say *may* have good cause because someone else could have completed the renewal on your behalf - your wife being the other claimant for example, but you could have argued the good cause case as you were both preoccupied and there was nobody else you could rely on to complete it for you.


What they probably said was if you provide your income figures before the end of January, we can treat it as "Good Cause" and fix the problem. If you never did that, it cannot be treated as Good Cause and the overpayment will stand.


So an appeal is pointless as the s17 decision cannot be appealed. To be honest I don't fancy your chances but the best course of action is to dispute the overpayment.


Now, to get around the 3 month timeframe for disputes, you must explain that this is due to “exceptional circumstances” which are your health issues, specifically memory problems, on the grounds that it should have been a “Good Cause case”, explicitly stating why neither of you could complete the renewal, why nobody else could AND why you took no action before January 2017 to rectify this. (Or if you did actually call within the 60 day period, that it is advisor failure, but still explain the good cause parts).


For reference: Good Cause Guidance - consider if the customer


  • could not complete the form or reply earlier due to exceptional circumstances.
  • could not make arrangements for someone else to handle their affairs.
  • was able to complete the form but was unable to post the form. You would then need to consider whether it would have been reasonable for the customer to ask a relative or friend to post the form on their behalf.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I have now replied to hmrc with ref to - "could not complete the form or reply earlier due to exceptional circumstances" as advised , with letters of support from both my GP , and the specialist who is treating my "C" , thanks for the advice AND concern , much appreciated , I will log on when I receive the reply .



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...