Owned car less than a week... losing coolant due to head gasket. What can I do next?

aqueousdan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there guys,

Last Saturday 16th December I bought myself an Audi TT Mk2 TDI.

I had a test drive and all seemed good so I went for it.

Two days later the coolant light came on on the dashboard.

I topped it up and drove home from work.

The next morning the light was on again.

I took the car to a local garage as I bought it around a hundred miles away from my home I thought it would be easier to fix if it was just a cracked hose.

They did a test which indicated that the head gasket is on its way out and that that's where the coolant is leaking to.

They also said that the fans are on all the time and the exhaust is blowing up near the manifold end at the engine.

My partner phoned the dealer who didn't want to know.

He spouted a load of legal mumbo jumbo at her and has left us confused, saying he isn't liable to fetch the car since he doesn't know if anything is wrong with it.

We are under the assumption that we are able to reject this car and get a full refund but he seems to say otherwise.

He wants us to go through the warranty system that came with the car (it goes away to a garage they deal with as they are only a showroom) which looks to only cover up to £500 of repairs. I don't want to be out of pocket at all for a car that I cannot drive after three days!

We spoke to the warranty garage and the guy said that it did sound serious and that it would need picking up. That would be into January as they will be shut for Christmas.

At this point I would rather just get rid of the car.

The car is going into our local garage again to get these faults checked over and they will put it down on paper for us on their letterhead. We will also take photos.

The car will then be sat off road doing nothing as I don't want to put any miles on it.

I haven't put anything in writing to them yet so later on I shall email them with a formal complaint.

At this point what can I do?

I have read that I need to wait for them to have a look at fixing the car but I really don't want the hassle as all this has already put me off it.

Is a failed head gasket and blowing manifold a good enough reason for a refund?

Many thanks for your help guys!

Its gone wrong within 14 days

Under cra you can totally reject it and get a full refund

Nothing to do with any warranty

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I had a similar problem with a Vauxhall Zafira, but I left it too late to reject after agreeing to go down the dealership repair route to try and fix it and had to go through the Ombudsman eventually to get back almost £3000 in repairs after i had to eventually replace the engine after everything else failed.

Regardless of what the dealership/garage tells you, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have a 30-day right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund. The clock starts from the date of purchase,

They'll probably try to argue that the fault is yours as you drove it with a coolant leak which led to the failing gasket issue, so be prepared.

Your local CAB will be able to help.

Not fit for purpose

Reject it

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Correct

A warranty does not waive or replace your legal statutory rights under the consumer rights act

It is in addition to them

and they

There is a basic assumption that any defect which occurs within 30 days of the purchase date existed at the time of the sale.

Give them a written letter saying that you are rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act and that you want a full refund immediately.

They may attempt to negotiate with you will to give you a discount – I suggest that you reject it. The only way should continue with this car is if you get a full independent inspection and they confirmed that it is in generally good condition, that the MOT is genuine and then you won't need any work for the foreseeable future. In that case you might want to think about accepting some deal – but frankly you should steer clear.

Write to them now. Don't hang about. Even if maybe you change your mind later, by writing now you have reserved your position and that is very important.

Hi there guys, thanks for the replies, they really are massively appreciated!

I have now heard back from this guy and he is saying that we agreed to giving him one go at repairing the vehicle.

At the time of speaking to him we thought maybe our only option was to have the car fixed under warranty.

Even if we did agree to this, we have the right to change our mind surely?

you reject it

dx

and they

doesn't make any diff

and they

doesn't make any diff

absolutely correct within the first 30 days. Write the letter which I have suggested above. Refer to the alleged verbal agreement and tell him that that is not able to affect your rights under the law which you hadn't understood of the time. You are rejecting the car.

Make sure you get the letter in. Don't expect your refund to be coming back to you very easily – but at least you will have asserted your rights and that is essential.

That’s fantastic help thankyou guys! I have it all in writing. I have an email trail between the guy and myself and have also sent it as a letter recorded post.

Regarding rejecting the car using my credit card, would proof of the problems from our garage not be enough to tell them to do their bit?

Thanks again guys, you’ve been such a help!

under section 75 they are equally responsible

however.

the 30 days rule applies to the retailer

section 75 using the card will not resolve to a full refund.

only CRA can do that.

and they

It doesn't? I was under the impression that Section 75 was able to refund me all my money.

This is a total nightmare! Dealing with this awful person has completely ruined my Christmas and new year.

Thanks for your help anyway guys and a happy new year to you all.

ignore that

whatever I meant it does read right,

and they