Homer67

CCTV question

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 612 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

don't think DPA covers domestic systems?

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

One of the main DPA exemptions is 'Domestic Purposes", which would include CCTV used for domestic purposes. So if CCTV is being for domestic purposes only you cannot request any data from it. There's more about it on ICO site here.

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/

Note this para...

What if my camera captures footage of individuals beyond the boundaries of my property?

You must consider whether it is necessary for your camera to operate beyond the boundary of your property.

If your camera covers, even partially, any areas beyond the boundaries of your property, such as neighbouring gardens or the street, then it will no longer be exempt from the Data Protection Act (DPA) under the domestic purposes exemption. This does not mean that you are breaching the DPA but it does mean that you might need to take some steps to comply with it.

That's interesting and a shame, I could have charged £10 every time someone asked for some footage from my CCTV.

I would think that every domestic CCTV system catches part of the neighbouring properties and the street, I know mine does.

When I installed it I invited my neighbour in and showed them what it caught and that I'd used secrecy panels to hide their windows - no problems there.

Mine does view directly along a shared alleyway which is actually classed as no man's land in that no one owns it and the local authority has no interest or ownership either but all abutting properties have a right of access, there is no public right of way.

that is interesting, as you say most cctv catches all within its wide viewing angles.

if i get a few spare tenners i might make a few ico complaints re all the domestic cctv when walking down a residential street, just to pee off the residents :)

IMO

:-):rant:

Spare tenners are welcome in my house!

Feel free to ask for as much footage as you like - in seperate requests of course :wink:

Interesting one on Domestic CCTV especially if the CCTV views outwith the Boundaries of your own Property.

There is not just the DPA to consider as there other factors that should be considered.

1. Do you need to have clear signage stating CCTV is in operation

2. The Human Rights Act Article 8 states that an individual has the right to respect for their private and family life, and of their home.

3. Could it be classed as Anti Social Behavior.

4. Could it be classed as Harassment.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

As far as I am aware it can be covered by all of those points stu007.

The only laws in the UK that can be used to govern domestic CCTV are those regarding privacy.

I have heard of cases brought before Courts that claim invasion of privacy but only when the offending camera was focused on the neighbouring property.

I have also heard of cases of neighbours objecting to CCTV but being told there's nothing to be done as the focus of the camera is on the camera operator's property.

Spare tenners are welcome in my house!

Feel free to ask for as much footage as you like - in seperate requests of course :wink:

rather than giving snoopers a tenner, maybe will just tip off the neighbours being snooped on. they can then contact the authorities. whilst technically the human rights act is re an individual v a public authority (as defined), once such an authority gets involved the 'horizontal effect' of the HRA should kick in. that will save me a tenner(s), whilst the snoopers get 'told off'. :)

IMO

:-):rant:

And 'told off' is about all they will get, if the camera focus is on the camera owner's property then it is not considered snooping or invasion of privacy unless of course you are expecting everyone to only ever use their eyes to observe their own property.

I went to a Police attended Community Meeting last night and spoke to a PC (Sarg) there who started to say that you can't use CCTV to overlook other properties then admitted that there was nothing that could be done unless the complainant took civil action.

Seems a bit unfair but otherwise every domestic CCTV system would be illegal.