Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,


Story so far

- myself and ex business partner owned a business back in 2011-2013.

Business was closed in 2013 and


this July i received a letter stating that i owe business rates.

I contacted council and explained that it was not me personally liable for rates but company and provided all profs (bills, registrations, etc).


They lost my first letter.

After a months or so i posted a second letter with all proofs and explanations.


Based on tracking it was delivered to them and signed.


Council kept it quiet for 6 weeks after which i received a Court Summons this week.


I have tried to call them and email - no reply or response.


What is the procedure if i have to go to court as i haven't been in one and dont know what to do.


Thank you in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

these sessions are bulk sessions so there will be no actual time slot and no hearing like there would be if you sued a neighbour for something they did.


As you have a date if you turn up they expect you to either tell them you have paid or you want to make an arrangement to pay.

They sit in front of the court with big reams of paper with lists of sinners and no other real information


if you want to put a stop to this ( at least temprarily) then turn up with your paperwork and show the that you have tried to deal with this matter and should they continue ( they can) then you are minded to use the same court to recover the monies in a separate action.


Before this though you should try contacting the Chief Exec of the council and tell the that they have failed to correct their records and address this matter properly and would they put it on hold until someone with half a brain revisits it.


You then have to go through several stages o the complaints procedure before you can complain to the local government ombudsman.


They have the power to tell the council to stop being silly and to order costs or nominal compensation as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...