AOL - Can they do it?

RichK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, new here so please bear with me :)

Searched all over so far so here goes.

I've been paying AOL for my broadband connection for 18months or so now in the same property and have recently noticed that they have been providing the same connection for £10 a month less than I'm paying!!! (new customers!)

I've contacted them and they are finally willing to "chage my tariff" to the lower price but they insist I have to sign a further 12 month contract to do so.......

I do not see why I should sign this extra commitment just to change to a different tariff that provides the same product.........

Should I have to agree to this?

Unfortunately they can do this. I, personally, wouldn't touch AOL with a barge pole. As you are outside your initial contract I would consider looking for another ISP if you do not wish to stay with them.

Does remind me of the Halifax (i think) ad. where the manager sits and says "sorry, new customers only"

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Good thinking, just a little dubious as to the hassle that seems to be involved in chaging ISPs?

I'll have to do a little more research into who to go to and how quick and easy it will be. Heaven forbid being without internet for enev a day lol :)

Good thinking, just a little dubious as to the hassle that seems to be involved in chaging ISPs?

I'll have to do a little more research into who to go to and how quick and easy it will be. Heaven forbid being without internet for enev a day lol :)

Having heard some horror stories connected with AOL, I'm pleased I'm not connected with them at all (intentional pun there!). Although I'm far, far from being a 'puta expert', I also understand that removing AOL from the system is by no means easy.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

its not aol its aohell, their software they used to ship ruined my laptop...grrr damn ppl

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

its not aol its aohell, their software they used to ship ruined my laptop...grrr damn ppl

Luckily I've only got the software on my tower, not on my laptop.... Deffo think it's time to show them the door.

Thanks for the review site, some research to do me thinks. :)

I'm in basically the same position, I can only get a 512k connection but I've been paying for AOL gold which is £25. There was no cheaper option when I signed up a couple of years ago. I want to change to silver for £15 a month (which is the only speed I can get anyway) and they said the same, that I would have to sign for another 12 months. Obviously I said no.

This was on live help, so I haven't actually rung them yet. I'm going to this week and say unless they reduce my package without signing another 12 month contract i'm cancelling altogether.

I'm not really sure why so many people are unhappy with the actual service, I have been with them 8 years and have never had a problem at all until this one. 3 of us use the internet a hell of a lot and unlimited access and downloads are invaluable.

As for AOL 'taking over your computer' like I sometimes hear, i'm not sure what is meant by that either. AOL starts when I start it, it doesn't interfere with any other programs on my PC or laptop.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Just remembered, I looked at the options to sign up to AOL a few days ago, there was an option to sign up for 12 months and get a free wireless router etc, or no router and no minimum contract. I've looked today however and it's not there. It would have been ideal as I would just have cancelled and restarted under the no minimum term deal.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!