Housing Benefit and working (what are the rules)

debtfred
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Short version :

Just looking for the rules when it comes to claiming housing benefit.

I have been on benefits for years and am desperate to get away from them so I started a business a few years ago.

I am the director of a ltd company, and pay myself min wage at just under 16 hours a week.

What I want to know, is at what point am I no longer entitled to housing benefit?

They are requesting a copy of my accounts now and I have to keep sending in pay slips to prove I am only taking min wage for 16hours a week etc.

I don't know what other qualifying info you would need to help determine when the point is that I need to stop claiming, let me know if there is anything you need to know. I look forward to any replies.

Let me know if you really wanna hear the long version, trust me its long!

Thanks in advance for any help!

HB is income based, not just applicable to those on benefits.

If your income is MW then you are entitled to some HB but it wont be full relief.

Councils and the govt dont understand or like the self employed,

it is difficult to monitor them remotely and tax then on a weekly basis

they like to think they are all up to no good and for that reason they allow themselves to make assumptions and it is for you to challenge these and prove they are wrong.

Sending wage slips wont convince them that your income is not £100k a year,

they are entitled by law to assume it us until you prove it isnt and always will take that position.

Your tax returns arent evidence,

nor you wage slips

or even your own accounts

unless you get an accountant to sign them off.

they wont believe you dont have multiple bank accounts and so on.

If you still receive other benefits that is helpful as it shows that the DWP accepts your figures

So, what to do?

use the online HB calcultor and get a figure you should be receiving based on your income, CT bill and you councils payment thresholds.

When you have these just reassert your claim using the figures and invite them to put up or shut up

let them know that you will appeal to a tribunal once you have been through the lower stages.

They have to do the earlier stages of consideration and rejection in a certain timescale

but once it gets to the tribunal they can delay things and will do so.

You will be expected to pay the full bill until a final decision is made