Leeds Building Society "admin cost" £27.50 arrears letters fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

so you are miles down the road from what we thought then..

cant see meeting doing anything constructive.

so can we see all this communication already bounced to/from

one pdf please read upload

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no guidelines

god do it formerly stop using the ruddy phone

you have no papertrail to even goto court nor the FOS

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

they are not laws they are guidelines produced by regulatory authorities

be careful upon the words you use

as it will make you look like you have no idea what you are really going on about..

per s

i'd start the whole process again in writing.

do a spreadsheet etc as post 12

write your complaint letter

await their formal response

and they

no post it here suitably redacted its a forum not personal help one to one

as that helps no-one bar you

and they

Dear Sir/Madam,

Request for repayment of charges: £XXX.XX

I am writing to ask you to refund the charges which you have levied from my account in respect of late payment fees to the sum of £XXX.XX, plus the interest charged on said charges up until the point of the house being sold.

Please find enclosed schedule of charges detailing dates and amounts. I now understand that such fees are unfair in line with recent Consumer Regulations.

In the case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract as oppose to a charge which represents a penalty.

This law was confirmed and upheld in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. A charge will be held to be a penalty if the sum stipulated for is extravagant and unconscionable in amount in comparison to the greatest loss that could conceivably be proved to have followed from the breach. A penalty clause is void in its entirety and unenforceable.

Your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). My account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) as I am a consumer.

Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under Schedule 2 of the said Regulations which provide an indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair. Under paragraph 1(e) of schedule2 this specifically includes terms which have the object of requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation. I would vigorously contend that this is the position regarding the fees of £XXX.XX which you deemed fit to apply to my account.

I would futher like to bring your attention to the following statement by the former Office of Fair Trading:

A term in a mortgage agreement which requires the borrower to pay more for breaching the contract terms than actual costs and losses caused to the lender by the breach (or a genuine pre-estimate of that) is likely to be regarded as an unfair penalty and to be unenforceable both at common law and (in a consumer mortgage) under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

The Financial Conduct Authority updates it at follows:

A firm must ensure that any regulated mortgage contract that it enters into does not impose, and cannot be used to impose, a charge or charges for a payment shortfall on a customer unless the firm is able objectively to justify that the charge is equal to or lower than a reasonable calculation of the cost of the additional administration required as a result of the customer having a payment shortfall.

I believe that the charges you have levied of £XXX.XX far exceed any true cost to yourself as a result of my breaches and any genuine pre-estimate you could conceivably reach. If you disagree, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put to as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your charges really do reflect your costs.

I really hope that this matter can be resolved amicably and without the need for redress to the Small claims courts. Thus I am asking that you refund the charges which have unfairly been levied on my account.

If this went to court there would be an extremely good prospect of success, this is backed by case law. However, I am mindful of additional costs that such action could incur both on my part and on yours, so I trust you will give consideration to my request.

and they

no you haven't...

I don't think you even understand what you have done to date or are doing....

everything has been done by phonecalls to date

then you came to CAG for after help...

go read up

cag is self help too...

and they

:high5::high5:

and they

did you click mcobs?

it's the code of conduct they must operate under

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/MCOB/

and they

Yep I will be including the following in my letter:

A firm must ensure that any regulated mortgage contract that it enters into does not impose, and cannot be used to impose, a charge or charges for a payment shortfall on a customer unless the firm is able objectively to justify that the charge is equal to or lower than a reasonable calculation of the cost of the additional administration required as a result of the customer having a payment shortfall.

Anything else i should?