BankFodder BankFodder

whyowhy1

Please help - Pension policy and death

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 791 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Sorry if this is on the wrong forum,

can i ask, My father in law as just passed away, he as a large amount in his pension, he has been getting monthly payments. My mother in law as got this transferred to herself now but before my father in law passed away he spoke with the pension company and they basically fobbed him off and wouldn't tell him the amount he as or how he can get it or his wife when he dies. he lasted 3 months from getting cancer.

could my mother in law request a SAR on his behalf now she as access and it in her name now?

thanks in advance

yes she can do a SAR, will probably need to send details of death cert.

Now how long was he receiving a pension and what are the terms for a spouse's pension.? Oftne it is 50% of the pension unless he has only been receiving it for a short while then she amy well gte a lump sum settlement.

Need to know the scheme rules to give proper advice becasue she may end up with nothing if the rules say so.

Thankyou for replying. He as been receiving his pension 34 years into his bank. He died at 58. His wife gets 50% as of 6th dec onwards.

Well done for tracking that down, it sounds normal for a private pension. Is your MiL happy with that?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Well when he was diagnosed he asked if the payments could be increased but they brushed the question under the carpet. Can she get more or will it be this now?thankyou

We would need to know what type of policy it was [or the name of the plan] and which company to have a chance of checking out the contract. Did your FiL buy an annuity when he took the pension?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

he has been receiving his pension for 34 years? so ill-health retired at 26?

If you mean paid into the scheme for 34 years then say when he started to take the pension as some schemes have an enhanced death rate for spouses if the person dies within say 5 years of retirement. The 50% pension is otherwise normal for most schemes. There will be no cash equivalent value as it is a defined benefit scheme. If it was a money purchase scheme (unlikely from what has been indicated) then unless he took it within the last 2 years then there will be no pot to claim either.

Thankyou for replying. He as been receiving his pension 34 years into his bank. He died at 58. His wife gets 50% as of 6th dec onwards.

Thankyou for your help everyone. I will look further into this with my MIL.