fox

Employment Support Allowance Contribution conditions

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 737 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Did not pay NI conts in 14/15 and 15/16 as I was below lower earnings limit.

I am now unable to work due to a health condition.

If I opt to pay the contributions for both these tax years is it likely I will then satisfy both of the contribution conditions for an award

(I know I am not entitled to income based as my partner works).

The second condition is really confusing me!!!

The guidance online says:-

You qualify for contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have paid sufficient National Insurance contributions.

There are two contribution conditions you must meet:

First contribution condition

- in one of the last two complete tax years,

you must have paid Class 1 or 2 contributions on relevant earnings at the lower earnings limit for at least*26 weeks.

This means you must have worked for at least 26 weeks of the last two complete tax years; and

Second contribution condition

- in both of the last two complete tax years,

you must have paid or been credited with,

Class 1 or 2 contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.

Anybody?? Please

Fox

I'm afraid you cannot buy NI Contributions only Credits, these can be used to meet the Second Condition but not the first.

Hi thank you for your reply, I was working in those years , I didn’t pay conts because I was below the threshold but had the option to pay no conts at the low earnings level so if I did this would they be class 2 conts , I’m very confused 🤷*♀️ x

Sorry should say ni conts not no conts

No they would be either Class 3 Contributions or Class 1 Credits but not the Class 1 Contributions that you need to claim ESA.

Oh ok that’s a shame, thanks for your help

If you have care needs or mobility issues, might you be able to claim PIP?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Oh thank you for replying, I’m going to look into that I feel I should be able to get something even if it’s the low rate x