Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Please answer the questions that have been put to you above – particularly as to the identity of the company. Also please confirm that the installation and supply has been done by the same company – although the draft letter that you have uploaded seems to suggest that. The letter is okay but it really would be much better if it referenced your six month right to reject the goods subject to an opportunity to repair. In other words you should be invoking the consumer rights act – as you have done but you should point out that is the defect has materialised within the first six months of the date of the contract you are now asserting your right to reject the goods subject to their right to make a single attempt to remedy the situation. On the basis that there seems to be some resistance from the installer, you may as well set out now that if they will not honour their statutory obligations under the consumer rights act that you will then get your own inspections carried out to see whether either the situation can be remedied or whether there has to be a completely installation and then a purchase of a new system elsewhere for reinstallation. Point out to them that although you will keep them notified that all times, if there are any costs incurred as a result of independent inspections that you would look to them for reimbursement. Furthermore if you are obliged to incur expenses to address the defects in their installation you will be looking to them to reimburse those expenses as well. Finally point out that if independent inspection eventually decides that the entire installation has to be removed and replaced that you will be looking to them to reimburse these costs as well. I think it's important this point for us to understand who your contract is with.  
    • I'm wondering whether you would be interested in spending a small amount of money bringing a legal action against this company in order to test the water – a sort of Pathfinder. We want to minimise your losses in the most likely event that you would not be able to enforce the judgement that we would want to maximise the risk and liability for them. It is clear that you are the owner of the vehicle and it is clear that they are depriving you of the use of it and by withholding it from you they are treating it as if they were the owners. There is a tort called "Conversion" which is where you do somebody wrong by treating their goods as your own. It is pretty well the civil equivalent of the crime of theft. "Conversion" refers to the act of converting your ownership into their ownership. It seems to me that that is what is happening here. You could bring a small claim in the County Court for conversion. Damages for conversion are awarded effectively for the insult of the fact that your ownership has been interfered with. This means that the damages don't necessarily have to reflect your actual losses and when one makes the claim in conversion, one generally identifies an upper limit for damages and asked the court to exercise its discretion in making its award. You could bring an action in conversion for anything from, say maximum damages £50 – to thousands of pounds if you wanted. Bringing an action for a large sum would incur greater costs. I don't see any point because as I said, the chances of enforcement are very slim. However, it might be interesting to sue for conversion damages not exceeding £650 in the discretion of the court. If you are awarded £600 or more then you could instruct High Court enforcement officers to enforce the judgement. These people have enormous power and they don't stand for any nonsense. Also the cost of enforcement by High Court enforcement officers is expensive but this would be borne by the defendant. Although this wouldn't provide any instant solutions for you, it would be interesting to see what the response of the seller might be – if anything. It might even prompt them to refund your money – although don't bank on it. The cost of bringing an action for conversion for damages not exceeding £650 would be £70 to begin the action and then a hearing fee of £80. The cost of attempting to enforce the judgement would be £66. As I said, you may consider that this would be throwing good money after bad but it might produce some interesting results. If they defended the claim then you are probably be risking all of this money – about £210. If they didn't defend the claim then you wouldn't pay the hearing fee – although the rest of the cost would have to be incurred. Please think about this. Frankly as far as I can see it is the only way you might be to make some kind of progress.
    • When she died us 3 wives of her sons were offered to choose a piece from her vast collection.  I chose this piece. When I told my husband I wanted out, I asked if I could keep the piece and he said no.  He still has a key to my house and I did say he could come whilst I am out to collect his things but I may just rethink that! 
    • I think we need to see the RAC report We need to see the advertising which was used to sell the car We need to see the exchange which you have already had with the dealer.   We will also need to see this invoice or other evidence that people are relying on to suggest that it is a trade sale. Please can you post these documents up in PDF format - single file multipage. The right way round and in the correct order   Also, it is likely that you will have to litigate on this. Are you prepared to do so? Are you happy to do it on your own with our assistance?
    • Read carefully as it is a badly formatted document.  It says weekly total for whole year and that from April 2021 you will be paying £111.60 per week in total.   Seems quite reasonable to me £101.23 rent per week and £10.37 services charges per week.   For this type of Housing they have agreement with Government that the increase in rent including services charges will be below a certain percentage.     
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

    • Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 32 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

  • Recommended Topics

PIP assessment-Assessor made false claims

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I received my PIP decision and I so upset at the false information that the assessor has stated. I have been awarded standard daily living and ZERO award for mobility.


Just briefly

1.The assessor claimed that I could get on and off the medical couch with ease.

(This is a lie! She had to lift my legs on and then off the couch)


2.She claims that I can walk 200 metres with no difficulties with a normal walking gait!!

(This is a lie! How can she claim this, when there wasn't even 200 metres to walk in front of her, the waiting room to the assessment room is 12-14 steps that I was severely struggling with)


3.She claims I had full mobility in my lower limbs

(This is a lie! I clearly showed her that I cannot move my lower limbs, very limited with severe pain)


Mentally, I do not know if I have the strength to dispute all this but I feel deeply annoyed and the fact that the assessor has made false claims.


I have medical evidence from my GP (who has issued me with an indefinite unable to work certificate due to arthritis,severe spinal injury and poor mobility), I have confirmation from my spinal surgeon that I have a crushed spinal cord,nerve damage etc and need urgent surgery and walk with a wide gait) and the rheumatologist who confirms that my mobility is effected by my arthritis and sciatica.


The decision has been made that I scored 8 points for daily living (standard rate) and 0 points for mobility.


I am slightly confused how I challenge this. The letter states I have three options:


1.Ask us to explain why

2.Reconsider a decision



I would like to


1. Request an in-depth report, so that I can analyse each section & challenge it, can I request this before I ask them to reconsider?


2.Would I then reply back to them asking them to reconsider based upon the points that I have challenged?


3. If I still disagree with their reconsideration, is that when I would appeal?


The one month notice, is this to request an in-depth report or does that include challenging the report aswell? I do not want to request they reconsider their decision at this stage until I see the full report.


I was with the assessor approx. 20 minutes in the assessment, how can she make such claims during this time and false ones at that, I am so so stressed by this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No expert on pips but from what I've read they are [redacted]

Outsourced and not medically trained.


Get all your evidence and appeal.

Edited by Mr.P
Remove obscenity.
Link to post
Share on other sites



Please read the above link, you need to get a Mandatory Reconsideration in even if it's as simple as saying you ask for a mandatory reconsideration more to follow and they acknowledge it. (you need to keep a good paper trail as well)


Something also to consider asking is remember you were assessed by DWPs nominated contractor but how do you know if that assessor was qualified medically you don't, so this is just my opinion only I would ask the following:


You require further clarification on exactly what medical qualifications (XZY Assesor) that carried out your PIP Assessment on XX/XX/XXXX at (Insert Time) at (Insert Address)?.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

I rang PIP this morning to request an explanation in writing,

the case worker advised me that they were not able to offer any further explanation other that what was written in my decision letter.

He advised that he would send me the assessor's report today, 1st class.


Will the report tell me the assessor's qualifications?


Could anyone direct me to the link where certain medical conditions cannot be assessed by nurses and ONLY specialists/doctors.


I believe she was a nurse and i vaguely remember reading somewhere that my particular medical condition can only be assessed by a senior medical professional.


One of my long-term conditions is that I have multi-level cervical spinal stenosis with myelopathy.


Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the previous requirement for certain conditions to be assessed only by a doctor no longer applies.

The report will give the assessor's name from which you will be able to discover their qualifications.


Please try not to take this personally,

the assessment system is set up to fail as many people as possible and anyone getting the correct award at the first attempt is very lucky.


When you get the report, go through section by section and point out every single error/omission, but don't leave it too long to get your Mandatory reconsideration in.

Decision maker's have a target of 80% of MRs being refused,

so it's unlikely to get your decision changed at this point anyway,

however nearly 70% of appeals are upheld so don't lose hope, just go along the process and treat it as a necessary evil.


If you can, please submit a formal complaint to the contractor involved.

Again, it will go through each stage of their complaints procedure and they will decide the assessor was perfect,

but you can then take your complaint to the Independent Case Examiner who may well uphold it.


Be warned that it is not a quick process though

- it took more than 12 months for my complaint to be allocated to a case worker as they are a bit snowed under due to the 880% increase in complaints over PIP assessments.


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is shocking! It is causing un-necessary pressure on individuals


Could someone suggest the best link for me where i can see the scriptors and relevent points system for PIP please?


I am shocked they have given me zero points for mobility.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Part 2 covers each descriptor with details on how they should be applied.


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pay particular attention to the 'reliability' criteria.


If you're not sure, post again and I'll do my best to explain - I've become a bit of an expert on PIP descriptors through necessity!


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please explain this?


I received my assessor's report and she is a qualified nurse.


I read sometime ago that nurses are unable to assess specific conditions, is this still the case?

If so, could someone post a link where i can find this info please (i should have saved it )


The assessor claims it took her 50 mins to complete my assessment,

this in untrue,

i was in with her for 21-22 mins.

Should i mention this or is it irrelevent and seen as 'nit picking'?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that a short assessment should be mentioned as it's unlikely she could do a thorough assessment in 20 minutes - there is no longer any requirement that specific conditions are assessed by a doctor, all PIP assessments can be done by either nurses, midwives, paramedics or physiotherapists.


Now you have the report, for now go through everything she has written and note any and all errors. If you can, copy the report and just use a highlighter or note down errors/omissions.


After you've done that, for each of the criteria, read the handbook information so you have an idea of what descriptor she should have selected. At the beginning of the handbook there's information on how to assess if a particular activity can be done reliably - repeatedly, safely, and in a reasonable time and to a reasonable standard, which should be applied to each of the descriptors. For example, if someone can walk 100 metres before stopping but then has to rest for half an hour before they can walk that distance again, they will be deemed not to be able to walk 100m because they can't do it repeatedly. Another example would be if someone is physically able to walk but doing so makes them so breathless that they're risking a collapse - again, they're deemed not able to walk because they can't do it safely.


You may find it helpful for each of the criteria that you think apply to you, do a version of the following:-

(this example is washing and bathing)

To use the shower I have a stool to sit on as standing for long enough to wash thoroughly causes too much pain in my legs and back. Using a stool I can shower reliably as it doesn't take me any longer than average, I can do it safely, to a reasonable standard and as often as I need to. (This would meet descriptor B.)


To use a bath I have to use a bath lift which I need someone else to operate for me as my hands are to weak to operate the controls. I also need someone to be within earshot all the time I am in the bath in case I feel dizzy. I cannot bend enough to wash my lower half so someone else has to do that for me. It takes me much longer than average to have a bath because of the preparation needed. If someone is within earshot all the time, it is usually safe but they still need to check on me every few minutes as I have once fainted with no warning. I would like to bathe every day but I can't because it takes so long and because the effort involved means I can do very little else on days when I do have a bath. (This would meet descriptor G because although the person can bathe with assistance, they cannot do so reliably - they take longer than average and cannot bathe as often as they need to.)


To summarise, say what you can do, what aids you use or whether you need assistance from a person, say which of the reliability criteria you do or do not meet.


When you've done all that, you should have two pieces of paper to compare - one with what the nurse wrote and one which is what you can actually do. From that you can pick out the most important errors - the ones that are most likely to score you some points if corrected - and start putting your reconsideration request together. You might start by writing something like (where applicable)


'Having received the report prepared following my face-to-face assessment, I would comment as follows:-


1. According to notes made at the time, the assessment lasted for only x minutes, not the xx minutes alleged.


2. In completing the first page of the report, the nurse has omitted mention of xyz condition and the fact that I am under the care of abc consultant


3. The nurse has not referred to any of the medical evidence submitted with my form, nor explained why her opinion of my functional limitation differs from that evidence.


4. In particular, when considering the criteria for washing and bathing, the nurse says that I am able to bathe using aids or appliances. This is correct in so far as I use a bath lift to get into and out of the bath, however I cannot operate it myself so my wife has to operate the controls, and also my wife has to wash my lower body. I cannot bathe every day because it takes me so long to wash the bits of myself that I can reach and the effort involved means that I am not able to do very much else on that day, therefore I cannot bathe as often as necessary.


5. For mobility, the nurse has written that I can ....



There may not be any need to mention every error, only ones that will score you more points. Check the information on the first page very carefully - she should have listed all the evidence she considered in a way that the decision maker at DWP can identify it, so just saying 'a letter and two reports' isn't good enough for example, and she must not omit any condition or illness mentioned on the paperwork or during the assessment, it's not her decision as to whether a particular illness is relevant or not. If there is any fault with factual information such as this, put it at the beginning of your request as provable factual errors should prompt the decision maker into looking at your case more carefully.


That's everything I can think of for now, good luck and let me know if you need any of the stuff in the handbook explained a bit more.


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently, my PIP decision is that i have been awarded daily living (standard), for two years (with a review in 12 months), am i entitled to SDP?


I am currently receiving UC and awaiting an atos medical to try and be placed in their non-work related group (i am dreading that battle next!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Currently, my PIP decision is that i have been awarded daily living (standard), for two years (with a review in 12 months), am i entitled to SDP?


I am currently receiving UC and awaiting an atos medical to try and be placed in their non-work related group (i am dreading that battle next!)


There's no SDP within UC I'm afraid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thank you for your reply


The assessor claims i can walk more than 200 metres, this is untrue. I the descriptor two applies to me:


(e) can stand and then move more than a metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided- this is on a good day, albeit, with pain & discomfort


(f) Cannot, either aided or unaided-stand or move more than 1 metre-this is on a bad day


I would say my pain/discomfort ration is:


70% bad day

30% good day


I am confused with what descriptor to select, any suggestions please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

After considering the reliability criteria - remember if you can't do it safely, within a reasonable time, to a reasonable standard and as often as you need to, then you can't do it - whichever descriptor applies for at least 50% of the time is the one that you choose. There are worked examples in the assessment guide which may help you.


From the brief details you've given, I would select (f).


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Thank you all for your advice and help. I received my mandatory decision back and I have now been awarded the 'mobility' component that I disputed. I have now been awarded both care and mobility for two years.


At the same time of my PIP assessment, I was also in the process of claiming UC. the decision maker has concluded to award me the 'Limited capability for work and work related activity' for 12 months, the letter states that this will be reviewed in 12 months or 'thereafter'. I requested a copy of my medical report and the assessor has suggested 'review in the medium term'. Does anyone have any guidelines to the timeframe of medium term? As I inclined to put in a mandatory reconsideration, as 12 months seems quite short-term to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on getting your PIP award amended.


Regarding the UC claim, 12 months or thereafter could quite easily be considered medium term - short would be 3 or 6 months and even people with incurable degenerative conditons rarely get more than 3 years respite. Whilst it probably can't hurt to ask for a reconsideration, it's also probably a waste of your time.


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...