DWP sharp practices

Jaybee in CF
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, sorry if this is already a sticky but I thought it'd be good to have a central list of all their sly methods, so we can just look up one list and be on the lookout.

1) Pressure to allow access to UJM;

2) Offer of 'Digital Meeting' - I had this very recently as part of a deal so I wouldn't have to come in weekly, only fortnightly. Of course, this 'deal' is just a covert way of intruding into our lives (a LOT more often than fortnightly) when not signing, I didn't fall for it as I knew it'd just give them an unwanted vector to try contact me impromptu, then sanction me for not 'responding promptly';

3) Offer of job search to be emailed; I deliberately print out my search just so there's no reason for them to email me - and then claim I haven't 'responded promptly' as above.

So basically with both the above I am minimising their opportunities to contact me.

4) "Expectation" to spend 37 hours a week jobseeking - I don't think this is sanctionable if you can prove you applied for jobs every day. But if you happen to not apply for any on one given day, they may try probing into why.

4) "Expectation" to spend 37 hours a week jobseeking - I don't think this is sanctionable if you can prove you applied for jobs every day. But if you happen to not apply for any on one given day, they may try probing into why.

Christmas and New Year's day both fall on a Monday this year. You will be expected to be spending your time looking for work on those days.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Christmas and New Year's day both fall on a Monday this year. You will be expected to be spending your time looking for work on those days.

There's a part of me that hopes I'm still out of work by then JUST so they can try to sanction me for that :)

It is absolutely ridiculous. Job sites don't update much day to day so if you say applied for 4 or 5 on say a Monday the chances are there won't be any left to apply for on the Tuesday! If I am lucky enough to find four I leave two to the next day rather than put four then zero down and it seems to keep my lot happy'ish. My favourite is that after being declared fit for work and being told that "of course someone will employ you" I have made several applications for jobs with the DWP and Ministry of Justice. Three I didn't even pass the online test, didn't hear back from several others and had two interviews, both failed. The funny thing was is that Interview two had exactly the same interviewee as Interview one so same answers given to same questions!!! I do like mentioning my applications to the DWP when I am signing on!!!!

It is absolutely ridiculous. Job sites don't update much day to day so if you say applied for 4 or 5 on say a Monday the chances are there won't be any left to apply for on the Tuesday! If I am lucky enough to find four I leave two to the next day rather than put four then zero down and it seems to keep my lot happy'ish. My favourite is that after being declared fit for work and being told that "of course someone will employ you" I have made several applications for jobs with the DWP and Ministry of Justice. Three I didn't even pass the online test, didn't hear back from several others and had two interviews, both failed. The funny thing was is that Interview two had exactly the same interviewee as Interview one so same answers given to same questions!!! I do like mentioning my applications to the DWP when I am signing on!!!!

Happily or sadly, in my profession the jobsites are riddled with phony ads, agencies asking for 'updated cv's' so they can see whose been let go in the last week and phish that company for leads. I can easily apply for half a dozen fresh "vacancies" a day, yet not get interviews for weeks on end (a fundamental flaw in my situation, trust me I'm fixing that).

As far as I recall the standard at the DWP is to see a couple of applications a week PLUS some evidence of a search the other days. So as long as I apply daily I have about zero chance of a sanction.

Happily or sadly, in my profession the jobsites are riddled with phony ads

When I used to use the job point terminals at my local JCP office, I'd regularly print out dodgy "vacancies" and pyramid schemes and take an adviser to task over them. The "phony ad" is fairly common across the board and not limited to any one profession unfortunately.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The DWP and Ministry of Justice jobs are the worst for delays between application and any interview as I found there is around a 3/4 month gap between doing the online test and an interview,. They then plough you with emails saying you had ticked the box saying you have an illness or disability so will require assistance and someone will contact you prior to interview to discuss that assistance. They never do, not once has anyone called. I had one interview date given and it had been so long I had forgotten which job I had applied for!!! That's if you even get past the online test. Rather than get you to do the test THEN fill out the application, they ask you to fill out the application and then do the test which if you fail you may be informed immediately which means you have spent a couple of hours doing an application which is failed immediately. Even NASA would struggle with the test!!! Fortunately to be fair to them once you have passed the test you need not take another and your application is then on file.

UJM is the worst for phony ads and agencies. I have had teaching agencies call me offering me no work but asking me to pay out £44 for a DBS check, even though they can't guarantee me any work. Then you get driving agencies call offering nothing but zero hour contracts, and of course the fabulous "If you pay me £1000 I will send you a pamphlet telling you how you can make £5000 a week!!" Yeah right.

One thing the government needs to do is bring in a compulsory generic application form for every company. It's all the same information but I spend hours cutting and pasting into a word document that crashes if you put more than three sentences into a box or being unable to edit a PDFlink3.gif application because I can't afford to buy the full product that allows me to edit. So I end up sending an application with different font sizes into the boxes. Yep I know you can use online programmes to change from PDFlink3.gif to word but some of the PDF applications are so littered with info changing it to word is even worse.

The problem with the job centre computer system is ANYONE can put an advert for a job on there.

Its only when someone complains that a human looks at it.

Also what the advisor's say and what's written in legislation are 2 different things.

I went along to support my neighbour who is 25 with ADHD and learning difficulties. He lost his job thru redundancy. When he had the initial interview the advisor said you HAVE to apply for at least 5 jobs per week.

I challenged this and asked where in legislation does it say this?

It doesn't.

It says you have to search for jobs and keep evidence of your searches.

You cannot have a condition on your job seeker's that is completely out of your control.

You cannot control what jobs are available.

I did get sarcastic with The advisor and said so Luke, with no qualifications,ADHD nd learning disabilities should apply for all the doctors, NASA and rocket scientists jobs then just to satisfy a non existent clause your imposing?

They backed down and his agreement said to search for jobs three times a week, local papers and internet including the JSA system

sgtbush, You are so correct. I can look at pages and pages of jobs and with pretty much any job either my vertigo condition, hearing impairment or qualifications/experience will go against me not to mention being nearly 50!!. I will see a potentially great Admin position but in the small print you see it requires you take minutes at meetings or are first point of call on the phones, so not quite the position for someone with a 70% hearing loss. Labourer going up ladders, er not with the vertigo thanks, nurse or brain surgeon, not with my 5 CSE's and then if you are lucky enough as to get an interview it's THEM "what have you been doing for the last two years?" Me "Been quite ill with vertigo attacks", THEM "Oh have you recovered?" ME "Bit better but not 100%", THEM "Are you over the worst?" ME "Not sure, it has a tendency to come back" THEM (thinking why on earth has he applied) "Well we will let you know in a couple of days", ME er yeah righto!!!

A while later, JCP "So did you get feedback as to why you failed to beat 50 other applicants to the position?" ME (raising Roger Moore style eyebrow and resisting the temptation to throw a chair in their direction!!!

have you ben investigated for Meniere's disease. Similar in symptoms to vertigo but different part of the ear affected and a damned sight worse in the long run as you will have your driving licenc pulled.

Oh yeah had all sorts of tests without much luck. They don't think it is Meniere's which if it was as you say that's an extra difficulty leaving you with no licence!! They think it is MAV (Migraine Assisted Vertigo). Have an appt with one of the top consultants in London on its way but I was referred back in June and you know what the NHS waiting lists are like!! To be fair it has improved and my main problem isn't so much the spinning(at the moment) but a slight motion intolerance which I am hoping they may be able to do something about, if not I am lumbered with it. Lots of people worse off though with far worse conditions so that's life.

Funny thing is I had loads of tests from sleep apnoea as well which mainly came back negative so couldn't work out why I was so tired. GP did another blood test couple of weeks ago and my Vitamin D is well low. It should be between 50 and 120, and mine is 25 and low Vitamin D can cause major fatigue. You get it from sunlight generally amongst other things. My GP said "do you not go outside much?" my reply was something like "not really because I am chained to a computer all bloody day job searching just to keep others happy!!" So the delightful DWP don't just sanction you for your medical conditions they actually help cause them!!!!!!!!!!