You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Small attachment to an iPhone that cost £288.00.   I know anything that relates to Apple can be very expensive, but what was the attachment ?   Did you return the attachment product in its original packaging ?   How often do you buy products from Amazon ?   How often do you return products to Amazon ?   Could Amazon believe you are buying products to simply try out for a period, with no intention of keeping the products ?
    • So I make a post and ask you some questions and you then go in and make a response which deals with something completely different and which ignores the questions which I have asked completely. I don't see how we can move forward on that basis
    • Thank you. First of all, this is not chronology so we don't have any sense of the timeline. It's still rather complicated – but maybe when you produce a chronology it will come more into focus. However, there are a few things that we can start to tease out. You say that you accepted £250 in an offer which was intended to reflect distress. Although you say that you accepted this offer mistakenly, it may well be that you have no further rights on this issue because of course it would have been up to you to understand the situation properly before accepting any kind of financial offer. However, it would be useful to understand the reach of this offer and so please could you post up the offer letter by uploading it in PDF format. You say that "high-volume messaging" is not explicitly covered in the terms and conditions – but there may be references to "fair use policy" and it may be an interpretive problem rather than looking for words which specifically match your situation. So it will be helpful to know what words Vodafone were relying upon and also what was the extent of your high-volume messaging. Did they give you any warnings. You say that they referred to terms and conditions which you did not sign. However, it isn't necessary to sign terms and conditions. We would have to understand more about the context – but generally speaking if there is an agreement which refers to terms and conditions from the outset and you then embark upon the agreement and use the services, then all the signs would be that you've accepted the conditions of use. Signed written terms and conditions are generally speaking only required in contracts for property or copyright or shares. You say that the contract was put in your sole name despite the fact that the company name was on the agreement. We don't have a chronology so we don't see how long this went on for and you don't explain why you didn't raise any objections to this – or maybe you did? You say that you have sent Vodafone and Lowell an SAR but "so far" you are waiting for a response. This suggests that you sent the SAR some time ago – but you haven't told us anything about when this might have happened. You are referring to obligations under the Consumer Rights Act but I'm afraid that these obligations refer to contracts between a trader and a consumer – and you are not trading as a consumer so these probably wouldn't apply to you. Finally, you are worried about expressing a claim in legal language. If you begin a small claim then you certainly don't need any legal language – and in fact that kind of approach simply gets in the way. Also, it seems to me that you are gearing up to bring a court claim – which is fine, in my book – but you haven't identified your cause or causes of action and you don't have a plan. I think we need to slow down and have a more careful and methodical look at the situation. Otherwise you're simply going to find yourself in trouble
    • Late to this, sorry - my wife claims contributory ESA and got her P60 about two weeks ago. Now I know she's overpaid on her tax and I'm just waiting for HMRC (the department I currently work for) to figure it out. They owe her about £150.
    • World Bank President David Malpass says billions of people will have their livelihoods affected. View the full article
  • Our picks

chewytoffee

Problem with Xercise4less/Harlands

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 905 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

As many people have had an issue with Xercise4Less I too am having a problem with them right now.

I saw a student advert on a free month from Xercise4Less and did not realise I was being sucked into a 12 month contract, and only realised after a month was paid for after my first free month.

once I saw a month being paid for I immediately cancelled the direct debit!

Now I have received a letter from a group of people called "Harlands", saying:

(Date of letter 17/10/2017, Date recieved: 21/10/2017)

"Your bank have recently advised us that your Direct Debit instruction has been cancelled.

The terms of your Membership Agreement mean that you have to repay all your installments by direct debit.

Therefore, you must call the HARLANDS HELPLINE immediately on 01444 449033 to reinstate your Direct Debit over the telephone. "

They also said: "If you do not call us by 7 NOV 2017 you will be charged an administration fee".

I really have no idea what to do!

The idea of it being free was really appealing to me.

I have already paid 1 installment (this installment got taken out on 09/10/2017), with 10 months left as I have already had a free month (my free month started on 09/09/17)!

I'm not really using the membership,

also I just can't afford to pay for a whole year, being an 18 year old student!

Any help, to what I should do next?

I've read on other threads that I should call up (I was about to until I read the other threads).

Is there anyway I can get them to cancel my whole 12 month membership?

Thank you very much!

Hi,

I'm in the same position as you, and received a letter saying:

(Date of letter 17/10/2017, Date recieved: 21/10/2017)

"Your bank have recently advised us that your Direct Debit instruction has been cancelled.

The terms of your Membership Agreement mean that you have to repay all your installments by direct debit. Therefore, you must call the HARLANDS HELPLINE immediately on 01444 449033 to reinstate your Direct Debit over the telephone. "

They also said: "If you do not call us by 7 NOV 2017 you will be charged an administration fee".

so what

all and bugger they can do

they are not bailiffs.

did a payment come out after you cancelled?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Nope, the only thing I paid was 1 month.

After that I just cancelled, since I didn't want to pay the full 12 months.

should I just ignore the letter?

Or call them up?

What should I do?

xD

you never ever discuss debts over the phone

writing only put the phone down

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have

NO LEGAL POWERS whatsoever.

if anything you need to use the slick132 letter offer ONE months payment ONLY no bogus admin fees

if they refuse then tough luck for them.

WRITE DO NOT USE EMAIL

get free proof of posting from the PO counter

If it's alright could you give me a link to a template of that letter? Thank you!

Is there any guarantee this will work or..?

Has it worked a lot for other people?

Thanks so much regardless.

there is no template

you need to go READ other threads here

you'll ind loads just like your issue

infact probably every single thread.

scroll right up to the top here

click gyms and health clubs

So when should I send the letter, or should I just use the slick132 letter right away?

Hi CT and welcome to CAG

Lesson for the future - nothing in life is free !!

When you signed up for the Free Trial, you signed a DD mandate. There were clear Terms and Conditions stating your free trial would lead on to a year's m/ship unless you cancelled exactly as required by Harlands. The T&C's also told you how to cancel and avoid being tied into a year's m/ship.

The BAD news - You failed to cancel the DD as required and left a DD enabling Harlands to take the 12 months fees that you agreed to (whether you realised it or not).

The GOOD news - Harlands tend to threaten lots but don't take the action they threaten. Court action is very unlikely, especially with a student following a Free Trial.

In your case, you need a different letter to tell Harlands you made a mistake, you didn't realise you committed to a year's m/ship and you can't afford to pay for this over the year.

If you want, I can draft this for you on Sunday but, in the meantime, do not be tempted to call Harlands/CRS or the gym for any reason at all.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Me again,

Actually, you should do NOTHING at all until Harlands/CRS tell you they're charging a £25 admin fee for you cancelling the DD mandate.

That will be the reason you can cancel without notice - because they're trying to charge you an unlawful admin fee !

Just let us know when they write to you telling you they're adding their admin fees. Then I'll draft you a suitable letter.

Edited by slick132

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Ah I know, stupid mistake on my end.

As long as no money is gone from my pocket I'm happy.

I'll even pay 1 more month, and let it be (but under no circumstance am I paying the full 12 months).

If you could draft me a letter I would be so happy!!

Thank you!

You probably won't even need to offer to pay a final month's fee because of the way this has panned out.

Just let us know when they demand their silly admin fees on top of monthly gym fees.

Hi Slick132,

Your prophecy seems to have came true.

However they sent the letter 2 months later, funnily enough (got the letter around October and it's nearly Christmas!).

But yeah, I received a letter with them charging outrageous fees stating:

"We refer to our previous letter and note that you have not contacted us.

You have now incurred a further £25.00 charge and are £73.98 in arrears.

Under your membership agreement, you have promised to pay this debt.

If you continue to refuse to honour that commitment, we will have no option but to take further steps to collect the outstanding balance.

We want to help you but, ignoring this letter is only resulting in further charges.

If you do not contact us by 22nd December 2017 your balance of £169.90 will be passed to a debt recovery company who will add their fees to your account."

Reading that letter scared, me a bit. £169!! That's a lot of money, for a college student.

But if you could draft me a letter whenever you're free, and have spare time, then I would be ever so grateful! Thank you :)

all and bugger they can do to you.

Hi CT and please don't be at all worried by the demands from Harlands/CRS. They are so full of Hot Air !!

Letter to Harlands/CRS and get a free Cert of Posting at the PO when posting it.

Dear Harlands,

I refer to demands from Harlands/CRS for gym membership at Xercise4Less.

When I signed up for their free trial, I was not made aware that I was committing to a 12 month agreement. Had I known this I would never have done the trial as I could not afford the fees being a student on a tight budget.

Also, you are adding on admin fees that aren't lawful or enforceable.

For these reasons, I will not be paying you and may choose to ignore further demands. If future demands amount to harassment, I will take whatever action is necessary to stop you.

That will do for now and let us know how they reply.