My overall Benefits journey from 2013 to date - and on going still!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 337 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Give them a phone call if you feel they might help you, but given reports of people waiting ages to speak to someone and then not being told much, you might find it was a waste of time.

Can't believe they close claims after a week, given that a Doctors appointment can be 3 weeks ahead in most places and most sick notes are never going to be received by DWP by any due date.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't close your claim,

you may receive a reminder letter and your payments could be suspended pending receipt of your fit note.

I never worked on ESA processing but I believe that you need to have at least 3 days in the benefit week to have any payment issued whilst waiting for a new fit note to be received so there is a possibility that you will not get that payment when you expect it.

However you can arrange to take the fit note into you local jobcentre and have it sent via scan and request that payment is issued ASAP.

Given that it can take 10 working days to be received at the Mail Opening Unit then uploaded and then wait for it to be made available to view I really do not recommend posting it that close if you need that payment on time.

Hi. A new sick note was due from 16th November, GP surgery said they couldn't/wouldn't issue one any earlier and to email them

requesting a new one. The email was sent on 14th to request note from the 16th. Yesterday we were told 'it was still with the

doctor for action' today we are now told the GP wants a telephone appointment before he can issue the sick note. The earliest

one available is Tuesday 22nd so now way are the dwp esa going to get the sick note in time. The next esa payment would be

due on 24th. Do we ring to ask them to keep claim open?...will they?.....any advice here welcome.

You should still be paid on the normal day 24/11/16 but i would think that you would need a new fit note covering you from when the last expired before they would issue further esa payments , If your worried then i would ring them once you have posted /had the fit note scanned over via e-mail to the BDO at your local JCP+ if sending by post use to sign for as you get POD that way ,

For fit notes I always hand them in to my local JCP (make sure to fill in the NINO, sign/date it and put your mobile number in the top left corner) as they scan it straight onto Digital Mail Service before sending off the original - in other words right into the queue so it'll get done by an advisor way quicker than waiting for the post then the terribly slow mail scanning people!

I wouldn't bother calling tbh it's just a waste of 30-60 minutes on hold for not much help in my experience - not necessarily the agent's fault but the way ESA "works" I don't think they can actually do anything to assist here.

You should get a reminder letter when it's almost due, then a second reminder afterwards which includes a kind of self-certificate, to explain why you cannot get a sick note and why you feel you are unfit for work. I don't know if local JCP can give these out as they seem to be automated but I'd take the completed one to your local branch to hand in as soon as you get it.

It is possible you won't get the due payment on the 24th but should be repaid everything if a new fit note is backdated to cover you from the last one ending.

Hi thanks....heard nothing from them, no reminder etc...having the telephone appointment tomro and will pick up sick note same day and go from there. Prepared for late payment so hopefully will pan out ok. Could be last one any how.

Thanks for all replies.

For fit notes I always hand them in to my local JCP (make sure to fill in the NINO, sign/date it and put your mobile number in the top left corner) as they scan it straight onto Digital Mail Service before sending off the original - in other words right into the queue so it'll get done by an advisor way quicker than waiting for the post then the terribly slow mail scanning people!

I wouldn't bother calling tbh it's just a waste of 30-60 minutes on hold for not much help in my experience - not necessarily the agent's fault but the way ESA "works" I don't think they can actually do anything to assist here.

You should get a reminder letter when it's almost due, then a second reminder afterwards which includes a kind of self-certificate, to explain why you cannot get a sick note and why you feel you are unfit for work. I don't know if local JCP can give these out as they seem to be automated but I'd take the completed one to your local branch to hand in as soon as you get it.

It is possible you won't get the due payment on the 24th but should be repaid everything if a new fit note is backdated to cover you from the last one ending.

My experience from handing the fit note in at local JCP to be scanned differs a lot to your experience took them 9 days to know that they had it, unless the person at the JCP didn't scan it straight away

we had decided to still post it and have a signed delivery, with the past experience of the staff at out jobcentre it would likely cause more anxiety and stress to just get a simple thing done. The sick note has now gone off that way in post. However

we had our dates mixed up, the initial claim was from the 16th but with the first 7 days unpaid its actually the 23rd that notes are due, we go the reminder saying if no note received by the 25th they may close or hold up payment until a note is

received. So whether the 24th will bring a payment or not is still unknown here, they may hold on to it, but we have a copy of it and proof of delivery so even if it a late payment it will come. Just about enough electric and food in to spread out any

extra days and feeling grateful of that. As the 24th is so near the cut off point I don't expect the payment tomorrow.

• 6 months later...

I have today received a certificate of pay and taxable benefit, dated year to april 2017. I really don't recall receiving this before, I am on esa support group benefit. Is this something I should expect to have now?

You should be getting one each year, but it is nothing to worry about unless your annual income is above your personal allowance.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone.

Amongst all the hoo hah re UC

I am wondering what the criteria is with the esa support group.

For some reason I thought I had read somewhere that it wasn't included in the UC ....

today I read a post (elsewhere) that the claimant in esa support group has been given a breakdown of their UC allowance and its less than the current esa support group payment they get.

I looked on the UC info and saw a "new esa"...whatever that is...I have been in esa support group since transferred from incapacity benefit. I have long term illness and condition.

Are we all thrown off our existing benefits and entered into the melee of this new benefit?

I am afraid I can make no sense of it.

Contributions based ESA isn't part of UC. It's only income based ESA that is.

As for whether we'll be worse off - you won't get the severe disability premium if you already get and apparently, there's transitional protection.

But I have no idea if UC will be more than ESA support group.

Thank you....

You will definitely be worse off on UC, everyone is, its designed to work that way.

Like it is designed to take 6 weeks for the first payment, meanwhile when all this is going on, your rent as normal is not being paid, you are therefore in debt, and not by choice but how perverse the system is now working, eviction is the next engineered process.

Edited by Mr.P
Xenophobic stuff removed.

I dont claim pip or severe disability etc. I truthfully couldn't put myself through that whole process, I am ill enough without making myself worse. My daughter is my unpaid carer and does most things for me now,

including typing this on here for me. She has read on the dwp website about the transition from esa support group to UC and that states payment will not be less. We are guessing this is why they want to assess people and throw them off their current benefit, meaning they then have to claim the "new esa" which under UC would be a lesser payment.

Am wondering how many of the long term, never going to get better claimants really will be left alone now, as also stated by dwp. I fall under that category so will just have to wait and see. Its all so distressing, I can see why some just can't cope with all the pressure and long waits, and choose suicide instead. For some that's the only way to really end all of it.

With regards to the design of UC - in principal the idea is right, in practice the whole systemis putting peoples wellbeing at risk.

I have just moved on to UC from ESA (assessment) and HB (via LA) after (not surprisingly) scoring ZERO at my WCA. My HB and ESA stopped and I claimed UC on line - I am STILL waiting for an appointment 5 days later - I do have legislation to hand though that I am exempt from the 7 day waiting period due to moving from ESA. This does not help my situation with waiting 6+ weeks for a payment which seems, after doing various calculations, to be around £140pm LESS than what I get now, this after working for 24 years and being 2 years unemployed/sick in that time.

So, what have I done to combat this? Well I have reduced all outgoings and spoken to people I have DDs with. My rent is being paid on credit card (I have a card with £1000 limit that I never use) - I will then probably not be able to pay that off so I will get that taken away (not bothered - not my fault, I will never have a good credit score or get a mortgage anyway)

On top of this I have had to go back to my GP as my anxiety and depression worsened due to this stress (likely now I won't get a payment until 2018!!!) and GP says in no way am I fit enough to work or look for work yet some herbert behind a desk who doesn't know a thing about me says I am fit for work. I actually broke down in GP surgery and had a full blown attack where I thought I was about to die. I have now not been out of the house for 8 days due to fear of people and I have never had agrophobia.

So all in all under UC I am worse off, having to borrow what I cannot afford, it has worsened my mental health and on top of it all my Father who is ill is having to see and put up with all of this on top of his own problems - he is currently at the hospital 3 times a week having treatment as well as biopsy, colonoscopy, endoscopy, CT scans and so on adding to my stress as well.

All in all the DWP do not care and have no empathy that you cannot pay your rent or buy food - they let you rot but I am past caring now, I really have. If my UC calculations are right I should have about £42pm left after I pay my rent and food and out of that I need to pay my contribution to gas/electric etc so I should be about £50pm over what I need just to survive

Still, lucky those ill are being looked after and told they can work when evidently they cannot.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but wanted to get that off my chest. UC simply does not work, will never work and it is not intended to work - it is there to punish people.

Your fine, don't apologise for hijacking...its still info that people need to hear about this disgusting mess that treason mayhem is so proud of.

Hi everyone.

Amongst all the hoo hah re UC

I am wondering what the criteria is with the esa support group.

For some reason I thought I had read somewhere that it wasn't included in the UC ....

today I read a post (elsewhere) that the claimant in esa support group has been given a breakdown of their UC allowance and its less than the current esa support group payment they get.

I looked on the UC info and saw a "new esa"...whatever that is...I have been in esa support group since transferred from incapacity benefit. I have long term illness and condition.

Are we all thrown off our existing benefits and entered into the melee of this new benefit?

I am afraid I can make no sense of it.

I think you may well have to pass the WCA that UC have to be considered for the extra benefits that you would get being in the support group of claiming ESA.

So as well as having to wait five weeks for any benefit payment that it takes UC to make a simple claim add on to that about five months before they assess you for any medical benefits that you have been receiving whilst being on ESA.

Stay on ESA for as long as you possibly can because it all goes down hill when UC takes over.

You won't be worse off. JSA and basic UC is the same amount. Unless of course you're subject to the benefit cap due to your rent.

I am sure OP has indicated that they are currently on ESA and not JSA.

And the benefit cap for rent is compulsory regardless of what benefit is being claimed Nystagnite.

According to the dwp website my daughter has read that the transition from esa support group to UC will not involve any loss of money, and there is no mention of assessments. But obviously that little nugget can be fitted in any time. When the transition from incapacity benefit to esa support group happened it was just a letter explaining it all. We shall see what happens. Its a nightmare to be unwell and have this hanging like a dark cloud over us.

I am sure OP has indicated that they are currently on ESA and not JSA.

And the benefit cap for rent is compulsory regardless of what benefit is being claimed Nystagnite.

I was replying to essexmatt who claimed he'd be worse off. I've done some maths which would state he'd get the same amount. And there's the transitional protection when you migrate over, assuming you're not migrating due to a change.

I was replying to essexmatt who claimed he'd be worse off. I've done some maths which would state he'd get the same amount. And there's the transitional protection when you migrate over, assuming you're not migrating due to a change.

Essexmatt is worse off because he isn't getting the same amount of rent he was getting on esa because of his circumstances.

Essexmatt is worse off because he isn't getting the same amount of rent he was getting on esa because of his circumstances.

Quite right.

I AM worse off, considerably

At present:

ESA (Assessment) @ £73.10pw = £292.40pm (approx)

HB (via LA) @ £382.50pm

Total = £674.90pm (approx)

Under UC

JSA element @ £317.82pm (I think)

Housing element =

Not sure about this yet as my circumstances are living with parents under joint tenancy. Total rent is £765.00pm my element is £382.50pm (1 room) as I am claiming under ESA at present. Under UC it is shared rate as share bathroom, kitchen etc so whether that be full sharedrate for my area which is £281pm or shared by 3 so £255pm I do not know yet. MyFather gets his full £382.50 as he is exempt because of disability etc.

So, under current scheme = £674.90pm

Under UC could range from £572.82 to £598.82

So yes, even at very best I will be £76.08 WORSE OFF

I am still awaiting my WCA decision letter (well I know I have ZERO) so waiting to move forward. I am due an ESA payment Thursday and HB on 30th so hopefully I will still get those. It is almost a month since my WCA so I should expect to hear soon?

Re transitional protection - I cannot work this out - am I eligible moving from ESA as I cannot work that out under managed migrant etc? I do however knowif moving from another benefit like I am (ESA) the 7 day waiting rule doe not apply.

Any insights anyone?