John Lewis Macbook Screen Repair

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Just under 2 years ago I bought a 15" Macbook Pro.

I have had an iPhone die on me before so to negate what I consider slightly fragile products I bought the laptop through John Lewis as it came with a 3 year warranty (as well as having a positive public image towards repairs/replacements).

About 6 months ago the screen cracked, this was extremely annoying as I was sure that it wasn't my fault,

the laptop had flashed up warnings of overheating

I put it in a cool place,

let it recharge

when I came back the screen was cracked.

I expected it to be covered under the warranty

after having the laptop sent off I got sent a bill for £803 to have it mended.

This i thought was excessive and I refused to pay to have it repaired (it was sent back with the damaged screen)

after 2 months struggling without a laptop I decided to count it as a life lesson and take the hit.

It was sent off and repaired at a cost of £797.84.

I was annoyed I hadn't taken out insurance on the laptop at the start (when I first called John Lewis I thought it was included with the warranty) and considering how easily the screen had broken I was keen to have it insured from the start.

After checking it was fine I left it in the blow up package it was sent to me in, and went to look on my home computer for an insurance company that would insure a device over 6 months old.

The next day coming back to check that laptop was working I was dismayed to find a crack on the opposite side of the screen.

This was unacceptable,

the first time it was damaged I was treating the laptop properly but couldn't rule out damage happening that I didn't notice

(ie something falling on it, someone knocking it over), this time I was meticulous in making sure no damage whatsoever could effect the laptop yet once again the hairline crack reappeared.

I called up John Lewis technical support,

explained what had happened and was keen to get it sorted again as soon as possible.

Unfortunately I was going on holiday very soon and so it wasn't picked up for a good 2 weeks.

The laptop was recovered and John Lewis went dark.

A generic email I received when I organised the second repair mentioned it taking up to 28 days to repair

I waited 27 and sent an email asking what was happening,

I got a call the next day (a Sunday) saying the repair was on hold but the company doing the repair wasn't open till Monday so they couldn't ask why it was on hold. They were very polite and said someone would call me on Monday and relay their findings.

No call came till Wednesday (an answerphone message asking to call back and quote a reference number),

I didn't notice this voicemail till Friday,

I was too late to call back

the next day I called up and they explained that it was on hold as "it was accidental damage" and so once again I was to pay.

I was furious and even more angry when it transpired this time the bill was £1380 as for some reason includes a new top case and battery (I believe the top case is glued to the screen so not surprising but the battery is a completely different issue and I am not sure either how it is damaged-it was working fine- or why I would be charged if it was faulty-surely it would be covered under the warranty).

The laptop was £1600 to start with so these repairs will cost more than a new model.

I am gutted this is all happening,

I really like John Lewis and its ethos and have always heard they are very good with customer service and don't squabble about fine print etc.

Like I said before I do treat my devices well, and especially in the second case I know this isn't my fault.

Being left in the dark and constantly shuffled between departments is annoying but not my main concern,

I am anxious that this second repair is not charged to me.

I am considering making a small claims court case as a few similar stories (including one about a cracked screen) seem to have worked in the past against John Lewis but am unfamiliar with either the process, any documentation I will need or the chances of success.

Thank you everyone for reading this, any help would be very much appreciated

cheers,

Alex

Wish you had obtained advice the first time you had a problem, rather than end up in this position.

I have read of such problems with Macbook pros previously. Never wise to allow the retailers inspection company the first opportunity to examine a damaged item. Better to arrange for your own independent inspection report looking at the construction of the laptop and the specific issue you have had.

With the report in your hands, providing it states a manufacturing defect as the cause, you can then go to the retailer to use Sale of Goods act applying at the time, to ask them to cover the repair cost. It is then using consumer law, rather than warranty, to deal with the situation.

If you hand over your damaged property to the retailer, you lose control over the situation. This is fine, if the retailer is paying for a repair or organising a replacement. But if you have problems getting the retailer to take responsibility, you face a really tough challenge ever taking this to court. The retailer has gained an advantage with their service company reporting the damage as accidental. They rarely ever seem to report manufacturing faults, as that is more difficult for the retailer.

Suggest you search online forums for reports of this Macbook model having the same problem. Then write a complaint letter to John Lewis head office. Don't go down the court route unless you get the laptop inspected yourself and you have a report confirming the manufacturing defect.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread