daughters inheritence

hatsanman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone, my daughter is 18 years old on the 5th November this year 2017. my brother who recently passed away left my daughter aprox 19 thousand pounds in isa,s which she can cash in on her 18th birthday if she wishes to. my question is will my daughters inhereitence affect my benefits if she cashes her isa, s or if she leaves where they are. my daughter is at colledge for another 2 years then at uni for another 3 years. I receive esa, pip, and housing benefit and I retire next dec 1st. many thanks in advance.

I believe a similar question was asked quite recently. If my memory serves correctly, the answer was no. Any assets or savings in your daughter's name should not affect any benefits that you are in receipt of as long as you have no beneficial interest in them.

As the legacy came to her from the executors of your brother's estate, there is documentary evidence of where the money came from and who is to benefit from it.

However, if her name appeared on any claim forms (housing & council tax benefits perhaps ?), it would be advisable to notify the agencies concerned once the legacy has been transfered to her.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

a very big thank-you mr p that's very helpful. my daughter has lived with us since day one and ive always claimed for her on my benefits claim. we didn't know about my brothers kind gesture until we had a letter recently saying until mt daughter reaches 18 the isa,s are junior isa,s but whe she reaches 18 on the 5th November they will be transferred to adult isa,s and then transferred to her also and that's when also we found out about my late brothers kind gesture. this was basically for my own peace of mind but will call dwp in the morning so they cant come back at a later date. many thanks again mr p for all your help.

just an update folks for future ref. my daughters inheritance does NOT affect my esa or tax credits and as long as staying on in further education does not affect housing benefit or council tax benefit so happy days. now my daughter can use her inheritance for uni payments. just to say a very big thanks to mr p for your help.