Council threat 1k fine for no information

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Got a letter today asking who is in my household they need the information.

It’s not a vote registration but so they “know” whom is eligible.

If I don’t provide it they say I’ll be fined 1k.

I don’t want to be part of the democratic process and this to me is part of it.

Is there a law that says I must provide this information?

As it only says it’s a legal not lawful requirement?

Thanks

Yes you do

The council have the legal powers to request details of the residents in the property so that they can make the determination regarding liability - Regs 3 & 4 of the council tax (administration & enforcement) regs 1992.

If you dont want to be a part of a democratic process, move.

Try north Korea and see how long It takes you to come back!!!! 😊

Hello

Got a letter today asking who is in my household they need the information. It’s not a vote registration but so they “know” whom is eligible. If I don’t provide it they say I’ll be fined 1k. I don’t want to be part of the democratic process and this to me is part of it. Is there a law that says I must provide this information? As it only says it’s a legal not lawful requirement?

Thanks

I think you will find that you can be fined for not completing the form confirming who is resident at the address.

It is the same with the census held every 10 years, where if you don't complete it you can be fined.

They even send someone around to your door, if you don't complete it, by the date given for responses.

It is so councils can plan services in their area and not to catch you out.

They can only use the information for certain purposes under the Data Protection Act.

On the original form sent to you, there was a full leaflet explaining how the data was going to be used.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes you do

The council have the legal powers to request details of the residents in the property so that they can make the determination regarding liability - Regs 3 & 4 of the council tax (administration & enforcement) regs 1992.

If you dont want to be a part of a democratic process, move.

Try north Korea and see how long It takes you to come back!!!! 😊

Thanks for that. Seeing as you seem so sure maybe you don’t mind linking me your source of information eg statute or law which basically says I have to give them the information they want? Genuinely want to see it in black and white.

Many thanks.

They make it as confusing as possible, so even official documents don't state the law that backs up the £1000 fine issue.

From what i understand they use this linked legislation to apply an £80 civil penalty first.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/6/schedule/3/enacted

If you then did not pay the civil penalty amount to Magistrates, you would be summoned to court and presumably under some Magistrates law ( statutory instrument passed by parliament) you could be fined up to £1000. If you totally refused to accept Magistrates decisions, then ultimately you could be sent to Prison, but that relates to contempt for the court and not the original issue.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

In respect of council tax ,

The council tax penalty under regs 3 & 4 of A&E regs isn't one that is dealt with by the courts - the appeal process for it is via the valuation tribunal once the council have issued the penalty. This penalty is £70 then £280. http://lgfa92.co.uk/penalty-for-not-providing-council-tax/

If the notice that was issued was under regulation 36 - that is post liability order - then the court will deal with any fine for not providing/providing false information. This is £500 / £1000.