Help with Funeral Payment

rippedoff15
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently my father who i have not seen for over 40 years recently passed away, my brother has been in contact with our father over the years but nothing recent. My brother has confirmed he had a policy to cover his funeral but he amount is only £1,600.00

My brother who is on benefits has contacted the DWP with regard to the funeral payment but has been told as our father had other family member not on benefit he cannot claim the payment. According to the DWP he cannot apply or receive the funeral payment due to our late father having 2 other children, my brother explained that we had no contact for over 40 years but they said its totally irreverent and due to myself and my sister not being on benefits we are being told to pay the costs in full.

Are the DWP correct in the information they are stating ?????

Some background would be helpful

-- Has the funeral taken place?

-- Did your father leave a Will and if so who are the Executors? If no Will who (if anyone) has applied for/obtained Letters of Administration?

-- If the funeral has taken place who instructed the Funeral Directors?

-- Has the Funeral Director's Bill (if there is one) been paid in full or in part yet?

-- What assets are there in your father's Estate? If there is a funeral plan for £1,600 how much more is needed to pay for the funeral? Another £2,000 or so maybe. is there tah much money in your late father's Estate?

The last few posts on this thread may help, Ethel.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?480188-Probate-Legal-Issue

HB

Ah yes, I remember it.

Still like to hear from OP on the questions I asked though.

In particular I am unclear who is/has organised the funeral or whether family members are actually responsible for paying for it. In general family members have no legal obligation to organise or pay for a funeral (unless they are the Executor) but if they do decide to do so they will be liable to pay the funeral director's bills if they instructed the funeral director.