• Tweets

• Thanks DX,    I will update if they outsource to another company or issue any of proceedings (unlikely I know)    cheers, 
    • go up on your UC log-in it should tell you if you are entitled to free prescriptions. if you are, then yes  and yes go get all your moneyback.    
    • I would expect revenue officers are quite aware of the time of day they are manning barriers. i'd also go as far as to say they don't bother to do this in off peak times... as there would be little point, no loss of revenue to protect.   they man the barriers at peak times, when people have purchased their permit to travel at a peak time travelled at a peak time arrived at their destination at a peak time.   thus they prevent: [loss of revenue] the traveller simply paying for an off peak fare when they just travelled in peak time [and most probably are a worker] getting an off peak return when they are travelling back home in peak time [worker returning home]     in other words ..fare dodgers.   your intended return was off-peak, but you didn't tell them.. we'll never know when your permit to travel was purchased nor if you travelled in peak time....but as from about post 5 i'll hedge my bets..   yes you are entitled as others may well be, to a refund because you were returning off peak but if you don't tell 'em…….   as for our experts , its either they are on holiday, which is none of our business or they sussed you out a longtime ago and don't want an argument here that they have 1000's of times in their regular work....   anyway  I've said all this from the start this thread is getting boring and repetitive.   dx ...    
    • @BankFodder and @BazzaS Thank you for your responses ~ I take on board all that you've said, and can only apologise again for all the narrative.   My nephew who's been [supposedly] dealing with this for over 6 months, unfortunately didn't have the experience and was consequently taken in by them and the way they 'operate', and he consequently let me down massively including through the Ombudsman this 2nd time: * 2nd Complaint with Ombudsman initially registered 11/04/2019 but, not registered properly until 15/04/2019 through their helpline (by this time my nephew, who was down as my rep for the Ombudsman, too, and the preferred contact, was away and out of the country until 07/05/2019, which was the day before the ombudsman's system had given for all evidence to be in). * Eventually after asking for and being granted 2 or 3 extensions all evidence had to be submitted by the 28/05/2019, though I was still able to keep adding evidence which would supposedly be taken into consideration (it wasn't...don't think any of it was, and it didn't take me long to work that one out!) via the messaging system. * On the BH Saturday (25/05/2019) during a phone session with my nephew in a last ditch attempt to try to get the evidence on the site, he ended-up really pushing my boundaries over this (I've finally had EMDR last year for all the trauma I've been through and that had finally kicked in)...I ended-up calling my nephew a patronizing [and might have used the F word!] prick and turning the phone off. Haven't spoken to him since, or the rest of my family, am only communicating with them through emails, texts and messenger on Facebook, and am intending to keep it that way until I'm god and ready. * The Ombudsman eventually issued his decision on 05/07/2019 (N.B. During this time he'd contacted me twice on the phone, thus bypassing my nephew's status as npower have been doing for years, including in the run-up to my lodging the latest complaint with the Ombudsman). * Npower appealed the decision on the 11/07 (the arrogance of that will strike you once I get the chance to upload the evidence I've been accumulating over the time my nephew has been 'dealing' with them and subsequently), I appealed the decision on the 18/07, which was the day before the final 14 days to appeal were up (N.B. During our 2nd converation, the Ombudsman had told me, whilst prefacing this with "I probably shouldn't be telling you this..." 🤪, that if I left it until the day before, I'd then have another 14 days whilst he considered the 'appeal' and then, even after that, I'd have recourse to appeal to his manager if I felt he'd got something wrong!!..........Yeh right! 🤬). * In the end he rejected both of our appeals and this is the basis of his response on the 01/08/2019, which he'd taken to be a relatively simple billing issue, along with my not having understood my bills and never having paid enough all along (NOPE!):- "Some of the bills are shown differently on the spreadsheets, but the information is the same. For example, on the first spreadsheet there is a bill of £3,032.40 on 4 October 2018. On the second spreadsheet there are three bills issued on 4 October 2018 for £677.33, £678.30, and £1,676.77. These three bills add up to £3,032.40. I appreciate that this can be confusing for customer’s, but this is something I did cover in my original decision. Whilst I acknowledge npower’s point that a manual bill will essentially contain the same information as the bills previously issued, it is the way in which the information is presented that is crucial to assisting the customer to understand their account better. After considering the appeals from you and npower, I can see no justifiable reason to change the decision, which I maintain is fair and reasonable for both parties, based on the evidence I have reviewed. I confirm that Ombudsman Services: Energy’s full and final decision is that npower should: • Issue a letter of apology. • Apply a credit of £120.00 to account 142309111 for the two failed appointments in 2015 in line with the terms of the Guaranteed Standards of Service. • Apply a goodwill gesture credit of £200.00 to account 142309111 in recognition of the shortfalls in service. • Provide the customer with a manual bill to show a clear breakdown of charges, payments, and credits on account 142309111 for the period from 19 February 2013 to 19 February 2019. We have now reached the end of our investigation process and there is no further opportunity to appeal. You now must decide if you agree to accept our decision in full and final settlement of the complaint."   * I haven't accepted it (why would I, when it's based on lies; npower breaching every SLC and Customer Obligation going with me; the GDPR and former DPA; fraudulently altering my data to fit in with their narrative; obfuscating, kicking-up a dust-storm, using bullying and harrasment every time they're challenged, all with the intention of trying to put the onus of responsibility for .managing. my account back onto me and save themselves coming under further scrutiny with Ofgem...though they're so far behind what has gone-on with this company over the years and/or they just don't want to unsettle their "Dear Stakeholders", especially with one of the Big 6; and all whilst I've been finally able to get the very damning evidence together against them?!). I'm about integrity and having a moral compass ~ everything this company isn't and lacks ~ and I will no longer compromise that for anything or anyone, particularly not this shower of 💩s in npower.   So yes @BazzaS I " a) want to take action" and furthermore, I believe I've got a very good case against them with your help.   Again thank you both for your support and I'll start on the bullet list over the week-end and also start uploading evidence (I've got rhemes of it on a USB stick, which I'm currently redacting the important ones of).   GM  
    • Hello.   I have received one of these penalty notices  for a prescription from several months ago.  I usually have a prepayment card but they're saying it may have expired, which it could have done.  Unfortunately, I can't find the card itself so I can't confirm.  I was going to pay the penalty on the grounds I may have carelessly let it expire but on the website for paying it says I may be entitled to free NHS prescriptions as I'm claiming Universal Credit.  I can't recall which elements but I suspect it's child tax credits and possibly something due to not high salary.   I'd never considered that I may be eligible but if this is true, then I may have been buying the prepayment card unnecessarily.  Which makes me wonder if I can avoid paying this fine because even though I ticked the box to say I have a prepayment card, which was technically not the case if it's expired, I may be eligible for free prescriptions.  Assuming I am, which I will try to determine next week for sure, do you think I can appeal the penalty based on the wrong box being ticked but ultimately it not be a fraudulent claim because I am entitled to them free anyway.   Does that make sense?  Your thoughts on the matter are all appreciated.
  • Our picks

C3000

Another HARLANDS / CRS Thread After cancelling gym membership

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 591 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

after a little google and a browse around the forum I've seen alot of prople having the same issues with Harlands after trying to cancel gym membership!

My situation is as follows

I joined a gym (choices health club) september 2015

for a 12 month contract and

then it went on to a rolling contract.

I was working away monday to friday and the gym was near where i worked.

I started a new job in sept 2017 (75 miles away from the gym I'd joined)

I cancelled my DD on 13th september 2017,

i rang up the gym to cancel my membership,

I was told I'd have to call in to cancel,

I explained I now live over an hour away and they emailed me a cancellation form.

I got an email from Harlands 15th september regarding my cancellation of my DD and that if i didnt reinstate it by 25th september (my billing date) I would be charged a £25 administration fee.

I didn't send off the gym cancellation letter.

These are the t&cs on my cancellation letter,

as I've already cancelled my DD I didn't want to sign this agreeing that If i cancelled my DD I would accept the 'irreversible adminstration charges'

TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF CANCELLATION

• You must abide by the cancellation notice period applicable to your membership contract

• In the unlikely event of a dispute, it is the member’s responsibility to provide proof of cancellation

• You must keep your copy of this cancellation and be able to produce it if requested to confirm your cancellation, if you are not offered a copy please request one

• Do not cancel your direct debit until all payments have been made after the submission of this form, doing so could result in irreversible administration charges

• You may not downgrade your membership within the cancellation period

• You are able to withdraw your cancellation at any point during the cancellation period, we can accept this withdrawal verbally and once it has been accepted you must resubmit a cancellation form to cancel your membership

I then received another email from HARLANDS dated 26th september referring to their letter dated 15th september I have not contacted them.

As i have not reinstated my DD I know owe

£25 adminstration fee

£39.99 for bill dated 25th september

£39.99 cancellation fee

£104.98 Total owed

If i do not contact them by 16th October I will incur a further £25 adminstration fee.

Just looking for some advice on what to do next? As I haven't yet sent my cancellation form off i realise that my gym still recognises me as a member.

I called the gym again yesterday 26th september stating that I had received another email from HARLANDS and asked if they had processed my cancellation form (I haven't sent one)

I haven't used the gym since July 2017

My home address is still the same as when I joined the gym

I can provide the wording of HARLANDS emails however from what i have read from other people s posts it seems like a default reply.

Thanks in advance guys!

At most all you'll owe is ONE months fee, nothing more.

Jump onto the Gym's social media, and embarrass them on there, tell current and prospective customers just how they treat them should they dare leave.

Ignore Harlands, deal with the gym direct, and lodge a formal complaint.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for your reply,

The gyn won't accept my cancellation of my policy until i return my cancellation form,

by signing the form and returning it am I leaving myself liable to pay other fees?

I'm willing to pay £39.99

Thanks again.

Just send the slick132 letter

Offering one months fee and NO admin charges

If they refuse

Ignore them

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Download keeps failing on Slicks how to do it right pdf download (smartphone) any ideas why?

Hi C3 and welcome to CAG

See the post here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?476155-Help-with-harlands!&p=5012255&viewfull=1#post5012255

Adapt and use the letter to suit your own case. Get a free Cert of Posting at the PO.

Stay OFF the phone and don't use emails at all.

Keep us updated.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick, thanks for your message,

I tweaked the letter to my gym and monthly price and sent it off to harlands on 4th Oct.

I received the following reply from Harlands on 6th Oct:

Further to your recent letter to our offices,

We thank you for sending this information, however all cancellations go through choices health club customer service no xxxxxxxxx.

Harlands can only accept the clubs one months notice and payment. As you are in arrears this would need to be made.

We hope you find this to be in order.

Harlands.

Just wondering what to do now?

My gym haven't accepted my cancellation over the phone (as mentioned in my original post I haven't called since) so technically I'm still a member.

Should i send off the gym cancellation form mentioned in my original post? Or should i do nothing and continue to ignore harlands monthly demands.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

tough you now ignore them

dx

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

Ignore Harlands, and lodge formal complaint to the gym, hammer their customer diservice, and be mindful of reporting them to the FCA also, in fact, do that as a matter of course, but you need to have complained to the gym first, and allow them 8 weeks in which to rectify your complaint.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The bodies to complain to are The CMA and Trading Standards these days. The FCA is not involved with gym disputes.

Harlands reply is wrong ! If they handle the admin and DD collection, you can cancel via them and your offer letter was right to be addressed to Harlands.

Ignore further demands for now but keep us posted.

As BBoo says, use social media to embarrass the gym for using Harlands, who have such an awful reputation in the industry.

See this thread where X4Less Gym decided to tell Harlands to back off - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?482023-Xercise4Less-Harlands-Admin-Fee-for-cancelled-DD-**resolved**&p=5068447&viewfull=1#post5068447

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Been a massive help.

For now I think I'm gunna hold off slating the gym on social media.

Might look at it in the next month if Harlands keep harrassing.

Will keep you updated!

Thabks again.

Why are you endorsing their method of harassment?

You're in a position to complain and embarrass the gym who in turn may sack the useless outfit and stop the harassment others.

after over a month with no emails or calls from Harlands, I received a letter...

Harlands are 'disappointed' that i have not responded to their previous correspondence, after now missing my october instalment a further £25 adminstration fee has been added to my account.

If i do not call by 12th november 17, then the collection of my membership fees will cease to be administered by Harlands and will be passed to a debt recovery agency.

Is this where CRS will now start mithering me?

My account as it stands:

£79.98 outstanding subscription

£39.99 cancellation fee

£50.00 default fee

I will not be paying or responding.

Just thought I'd keep the thread updated :)

Hi C3000,

Absolutely right to ignore their demand for fictitious amounts.

Harlands will continue to pester you posing as CRS who they try to make out are a separate company. What a joke !!

You may also hear from the Zinc Group but only once or twice. When they realise their demands or threats aren't being taken seriously by you, they'll pass it back to Harlands/CRS.

Thanks again Slick!

Your help and info on the way they operate means I can ignore them without worry :)

Update:

Received a letter from CRS dated 17th November (pretty sure I only received it around late November early December)

My balance of £194.97 is to be paid in full by no later than 27th November 2017. Plus the usual boring stuff..

Received an email dated 11th December from CRS stating that they have been employed by choices health club as my membership remains in arrears.

They have added their fees of £70.90 my outstanding balance now stands and £265.

But they want to reach an 'amicable agreement' with me 😂

I also received a text message today saying "

Please call CRS on 01444 449165 between 9am and 6pm. We sent a letter a week ago and need to discuss this with you. Thank you."

It's starting to annoy me if I'm honest, what are my current options?

Isit worth writing a strong worded letter to my gym, over how I was a member for over 2 years never missed a payment etc etc still contiuned to pay through large periods on inactivity and had to cancel for a very genuine reason.

I'm not paying anything more than £39.99 1 months membership fee, which I have offered.

I also blocked the number that sent me the message today, although it may be wise to unblock it so I can log any further communications.

Thanks in advance guys :)

you ignore they will give up.

spreadsheets 

Hi C3000,

You offered to pay the 1 month's fee and Harlands failed to accept that offer, so it's now withdrawn. No need to still pay it, or any other fictitious amount cooked up by Harlands/CRS.

Writing a strong letter to the gym may help, but not necessarily.

Ignoring Harlands/CRS is the best policy but, if you really want rid of these fools, you could take court action against them. Pretty cheap and simple and it would stop them for good.

We've already advised that you use social media to embarrass the gym about how they're happy to throw their customers to the dogs, despite you having been a good loyal paying customer for over 2 years. Facebook and Twitter should be used to alert others to how gyms continue to allow Harlands/CRS to harass gym members.

Thanks for the replies!

I will continue to ignore them as it seems the best option, whilst keeping the thread updated.

Won't be writing to the gym as they may inform Harlands I've been in touch and they don't need any further encouragement!

Have a good Christmas guys! ☺

Noted but the best action you can take is to use social media to embarrass the gym.

You have a good one too !

Received another text from CRS today who 'urgently need to speak with me'

Will this effect my credit rating? As I may want a mortgage in the coming months.

Thanks

never

spreadsheets 

Received another text from CRS today who 'urgently need to speak with me'

Forward their childish text messages to 7726 (Spam on your keypad) keep a diary of events regarding their criminal offence of harassment also.

Had a voicemail on the 5th january from CRS automated message 'They need to speak with me about my accounts with them'

Followed by this email today:

Following our initial letter, we are disappointed that your account with Choices Health Club is still in arrears

and our fee has not been paid.

We would still like to reach an amicable resolution to this, however, if you fail to respond to this

letter, we will have no option but to commence further action to recover the monies owed. The

options available to us are:

1. LEGAL ACTION

We believe you are in breach of a legally binding contract with Choices Health Club because you have not

paid your membership and our fees. We may pursue a claim under this contract through the Courts. If we

do so the following process would apply:

1. We will write a formal letter explaining what we are demanding and give you a final

opportunity to pay/reply;

2. If this failed to settle the matter we would issue proceedings against you in the County Court;

3. You could then either:

a. make payment, ending the legal process, or

b. dispute some, or all, of the amount was owed.

4. If you dispute the amount was owed the Court process would continue, at the end of which

the Court would make a decision on our claim.

5. A strict Court imposed timescale will apply in relation to the Court process.

Were we to be successful in our claim, or if you ignore the claim, a County Court Judgment (CCJ) may be

registered against you requiring you to make payment. You may also be liable for our costs of pursuing

legal action and interest on the amount owed.

If you then fail to pay the amount covered by the CCJ we would take the next steps required to enforce the

judgment. To do this we would have to make an application to Court.

2. OUTSOURCE TO EXTERNAL AGENTS

Your account would be passed to another Collection Agency who will take further action to recover the

monies owed.

YOU CAN AVOID THIS HAPPENING IF WITHIN THE NEXT 10 DAYS YOU CONTACT US ON

01444 449165 TO ARRANGE PAYMENT WITH US.

Yours sincerely

Amount owed they total at £265.16

Which is ridiculous really when I tried to cancel my membership in September when my payments were up to date.

Absolute **** Harlands can't believe so many gym groups use them.

............. which is why we've suggested you use Social Media to expose the gym and Harlands for their ongoing harassment.

In the meantime of course, ignore this empty threat.

Edited by slick132