• Tweets

• Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/bailiff-reform/our-campaign.aspx

Back in May, National Debtline launched a campaign for a reform of enforcement practices.

Perhaps we should encourage people to take part in this excercise that ND are organising.

EC's do need to be properly regulated.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Wont happen. They were already reformed... to the favour of the bailiffs. Mainly because the government has a lot of donators that invest heavily in baliff companies. Capita for example.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Have to agree with renegadeimp, bailiffs and Enforcement should be abolished but Capita has too many fingers in public pies to the detriment of the common good. Capita should be dismantled or wound up.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Have to agree with renegadeimp, bailiffs and Enforcement should be abolished but Capita has too many fingers in public pies to the detriment of the common good. Capita should be dismantled or wound up.

It is the same with any other issue. If the public and media become interested enough, then politicians become interested.

As an example, due to the number of student votes Labour got at the last election, the Tory Government is looking at reducing student fees. People need to take part in campaigns, if they want to see change.

Some people of course might not want to see such changes to the enforcement industry. Could you imagine want would happen to fee based bailiff assistance type companies, if the enforcement industry were strictly regulated with a proper complaints process in place ? At the moment, the taking control of goods law creates enough work due to its lack of clarity and it is not subject to enough regulation so EA's perform their work in a creative way to obtain money.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/bailiff-reform/our-campaign.aspx

Back in May, National Debtline launched a campaign for a reform of enforcement practices.

Perhaps we should encourage people to take part in this excercise that ND are organising.

An excellent thread UB.

There have been a few meetings since this campaign was introduced and at the last one, I commented that I had thorughly read through each of the comments made by members of the public and that far from being 'complaints', the vast majority of comments had arisen because of misinformation being given to the public regarding the rights of bailiffs and the fee structure (and much more). One example being internet advice informing debtors to avoid paying bailiff fees by paying the local authority direct.

Will there be an independent regulator for the bailiff industry?

This is a subject that in fact led to Part 3 of the Tribunal Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 failing to be implemented until April 2014. The current position, is that a few weeks ago a formal letter was sent to the Minister requesting that he revisit this subject. That letter has been endorsed by enforcement companies and representatives of the 'advice sector'. I provided an endorsement on behalf of my business.

I hope to be in a position to provide an update on the regulations by the middle of the week.

However, to an extent the regulations are working, there is no doubt

You only have to look at the number of complaints we see on here and compare it to even last year to see this, it is the same across the advice sector. As for a regulator, the same questions always arise, firstly who is the right person for the job, and how would such a body be funded.

Many bailiffs would welcome a regulator as regulation can work both ways. A quick way to settle disputes would be in their interests also. Cutting out costly and ineffective legal actions would be a benefit to everyone except the legal and quasi-legal industries

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I think it's a tad unrealistic to suggest that it took seven years to determine whether an independent regulator should be engaged or not. It is also worth noting that the four relevant SIs were not introduced until 2013 and 2014 which suggests (to me anyway) that they were rushed through.

You need to pay attention to what is written as I had not suggested for one moment that it took 7 years to determine whether an independent regulator should be engaged or not.

As to your suggestion that the four supporting statutory instruments had been 'rushed thorough', you are wrong here as well. There had been many stakeholder meetings and discussions over a long period of time before the SI's were introduced. I will be the first to admit that there were some surprises that we had not known about until a very late stage (the removal of the '14 day' letter for council tax arrears being one).

Interesting comment about forced entry to a private residential address regarding a business debt. I did not think forced entry was possible to a private address regarding a business debt, unless EA's had reasonable evidence that business assets were held at the address. Simply having a correspondence address linked to a private address would not be enough.

John Kruse is also campaigning for amendments to be made to the regulations. A link to his paper is below:

https://www.bailiffreform.org/storage/app/media/Taking%20Control%20report%20March%202017.pdf

I will be meeting up with JK at the end of next week and I look forward to hearing his presentation.

There were a number of reasons why part three was not brought into force in 2007, discussion regarding a regulator and bailiffs rights of entry being the two major ones. Then there was the definition of costs, in fact, everything we see mentioned in the regulations.

There was also much discussion on who to appoint as a regulator, many wanted to be considered for the job I seem to remember even Civea threw their hats into the ring, BPA, the SIA, in fact, most of the alphabet.

The problem was that the ones who wanted the position were also the ones who should not have it, and the ones who should have it did not want it. I should imagine it is the same today.

UB you are correct and as you say, the exception is if goods have been removed to the address.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

In the absence of a structured complaints procedure, there certainly needs to be clearer information regarding complaints about a bailiffs fitness to hold a certificate.

Complainants need to be made aware that by going down this road, they are entering a legal process that could result in a costs order being made if the complaint fails. Many people are still starting this procedure, firstly not knowing that it is not a normal complaint procedure but a procedure for the 0.5% of the most serious cases and secondly that there is a great danger of costs being awarded against the complainant. It is very unclear.

I'm afraid that you are wrong here as well. Without exception, unless a debtor carries out an internet search they will not be aware that they can take a complaint (about a bailiff) to the County Court for consideration to be given to removing his certificate.

Just carry out a simple Google search (Complaining about a bailiff) and with only one exception, the advice that is given is that a complaint to the court should be a last resort and before even taking such a step, the complaint should go to the enforcement company. My own website makes very clear the risk of a cost order being imposed.

Returning now to the 'one exception'. That particular website states the following about making a complaint about a bailiff to the court:

There is no fee, it only takes a few minutes and you don't even have to go to Court!

Grounds for a complaint include;

Malicious behaviour, e.g. threatening to call 'social services' or a 'locksmith'

If the judge adjourns and tells you and the bailiff to leave the court and agree a conclusion to your complaint, then agree to take a sum between £750 and £10,000 off the bailiff in return for discontinuing your complaint.

Anyone taking the above advice is given the impression that if a bailiff states that he is going to call a locksmith, that they can make a complaint to the court, not expect to have to attend a hearing and could expect to receive 'compensation' of between £750 and £10,000. They are also not being told that a cost order could be imposed against them

Here's the important part. That website owner refers to you as his 'colleague' (Oxford English Dictionary definition: 'a person with whom one works in a profession or business'.) If you really had the debtors interest at heart, then surely you could suggest that the information provided above be immediately amended.

Not sure we want to get into a debate about bailiff advice type sites. I would regulate them as well, if they charge any fees.

Well said. It gets rather boring after the 555th time that BA refers to a"particular website "

She may wish to revisit her own site first. A complaint to court should never be "a last resort " that is lunacy.

If a complaint would is serious enough then it should be a first resort. In all other cases, it should not be a resort at all and most certainly shouldn't be a last resort. How reckless can you get?

Each case on its own merits. Makes my blood boil when i see programmes on CH5 showing bullying tactics of EA's. Should not be allowed. There should be a set way that EA's have to conduct themselves. Anybody subject to enforcement actions should be sent an official Government leaflet explaining in full everything they need to know. If the NOE is not sent recorded delivery, there should be someway of evidencing proof of postage, given the extra cost of an enforcement visit.

I think most judges would expect other remedies to be sought before court action, it is commonly held that going to law should always be the last resort.

If an ex-parte application is required then this does not apply, but this is not an applicable remedy in most cases and can have enormous costs implications if wrongly brought.

I doubt any serious advice service would say that going to court was an appropriate first action

I think the first resort would be to complain to the bailiff, wouldn't it?

CPR is only when an action is being considered as i am sure you know

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/action-your-creditor-can-take/bailiffs/complaining-about-bailiffs/how-to-complain-about-bailiffs/

Step one: complain to the bailiff firm

If you want to make a complaint about a bailiff's actions or behaviour, you should complain to the bailiff firm in the first instance. You should do this in writing

In all these situations, it's a good idea to complain to the bailiff's firm and your creditor directly before you decide to take court action. Complaining directly can often be a quicker, cheaper and easier way of solving a problem than going to court. If you complain to your creditor, they may agree to stop the bailiff action.

I think that most would consider the CAB to be"serious advisers."

I personally do not recommend a complaint to court in any circumstance, especially not as a last resort. The complainant has nothing to gain by doing so and a lot to lose.

There is mass confusion regarding complaining about bailiffs and even Citizens Advice have it wrong.

There is certainly confusion all right and I would say that your posts on this thread today are only adding to the confusion!!!

For example, you above post is seriously at odds with your earlier comment from this morning where you stated as follows:

A complaint to court should never be "a last resort " that is lunacy.

If a complaint would is serious enough then it should be a first resort.

In all other cases, it should not be a resort at all and most certainly shouldn't be a last resort.

The Citizens Advice information is misleading and I say that as someone who worked passionately as an adviser at Citizens Advice until fairly recently. It highlights my point and the concerns that I have raised.

People are confused into thinking that a complaint to court is the same as any other complaint (I used the example of a complaint to the IPCC yesterday)

A complaint to the court is a Complaint as to fitness to hold a certificate It is not a complaint that will end with the bailiff getting a slap on the wrist or being ordered to go and stand in the corner with a dunces cap on for an hour.

A complaint about fitness to hold a certificate is an entirely different kettle of fish to a complaint to his employer or the creditor about procedural errors. For example, if a bailiff were to divulge a debtors personal data and information about his/her case to a third party, then a complaint to the employer or creditor would be a suitable course of action. You certainly wouldn't then go to court "as a last resort" if your complaint got nowhere with the creditor or agency.

I have had the misfortune of seeing the aftermath of people who have failed in complaints to court. At no time did any of them realise that they were entering into a legal process and exposing themselves to a potential costs order. All said that they would not have gone down that road had they been fully aware of the consequences. Why anyone would want to risk this course of action when the reward is so minimal is beyond me. It should further be noted that to deprive a man or a woman of the ability to earn a living by taking his/her certificate away, is a very big step to make and it would not be made lightly. In my experience I am only aware of one case where a certificate was revoked and even then, it was only done so on a temporary basis.

I personally do not recommend a complaint to court in any circumstance, especially not as a last resort. The complainant has nothing to gain by doing so and a lot to lose.

There is mass confusion regarding complaining about bailiffs and even Citizens Advice have it wrong. I believe that the word "complaint" should be removed from the title and it should be renamed "Application to determine fitness to hold a certificate" or words to that effect. Using the word "complaint is misleading and is often wasting a lot of court time on top of the costs orders that people are being hit with.

Yes, but despite "war and peace" here, taking action in court should always be the last option As confirmed by all reputable advice agencies.

I really don't know who mentioned EAC2 claims, but those are for very sere breaches by a bailiff, most claims will be under section 66( breach of the act), or common law.

I think you are stretching now

Anyway, i think any consultation or examination is useful and worthwhile, the law is an evolving thing and should always have the needs of the public as its primary concern.

It is always useful for people to get involved and let the authorities know what they think.

Thank you for providing the link to John Kruse's ideas on Bailiff reform Bailiff Advice.

There isn't anything to disagree with unsurprisingly. The one thing that I would like to see is that the £235 is only chargeable when goods are taken under control in accordance with the regulations and not just for the delivery of a letter which I think is a grotesque overcharge. Especially as I understand it, some bailiffs are not above doing a recce first to ensure the alleged debtor is not in their property to avoid any risk of

a TOGC. It may be one of the things JK is alluding too when he said he wanted to restructure bailiff fees so as to incentivise good practice but I thought I would put it in for clarification.

As an aside, it would be interesting to know if the Capita infested Councils are sending in bailiffs more often than other Councils..................I don't suppose there is any way of checking?

Rather than have one general enforcement law setting out fees, i think they should have different fees depending on what the enforcement issue is. I would not have the same fees in regarding to council tax and say PCN's.

And there should be a better process followed before enforcement is started. Government should try to educate the public more and hopefully reduce the need for enforcement, restricting it to bl**dy minded people who won't pay or even enter into any communications/appeals. There is too much enforcement activity going on.

2. Taking legal action should be a last resort in most scenarios but in the case of an EAC2, court is the ONLY option.

/QUOTE]

Earlier you said

"A complaint to court should never be "a last resort " that is lunacy"

Thank you for providing the link to John Kruse's ideas on Bailiff reform Bailiff Advice.

There isn't anything to disagree with unsurprisingly. The one thing that I would like to see is that the £235 is only chargeable when goods are taken under control in accordance with the regulations and not just for the delivery of a letter which I think is a grotesque overcharge. Especially as I understand it, some bailiffs are not above doing a recce first to ensure the alleged debtor is not in their property to avoid any risk of a TOGC. It may be one of the things JK is alluding too when he said he wanted to restructure bailiff fees so as to incentivise good practice but I thought I would put it in for clarification.

If you look back at the Consultation paper from Feb 2012, it provided the in dept analysis that had been carried out by an economist in 2009 into the fee scale and the eventual figure in the 2014 fees regulations, is almost the same as recommended by him at that time. Given the huge amount of work that been given to setting the fee scale I cannot see that there is to be any change on this point (apart from a fee increase).

There has been a lot of pressure from enforcement companies for the fees to be increased and in fact, this was a government pledge in 2014 which has not happened yet. My personal opinion is that if fees are to rise, I would prefer that any rise is only given to the Compliance fee and not the enforcement fee. In that way, more investment could be given to telephone support and setting up payment arrangements and Welfare Departments and this may hopefully reduce the need for enforcement companies to push accounts towards an enforcement visit (and thereby benefit from the £235 enforcement fee). Unfortunately, as in all things, there are pro's and con's with my preffered suggestion wth many enforcement companies preferring any increase to be applied to the enforcement stage fee (and not the compliance fee).

The High Court enforcement industry is well aware that their fees scale needs to be seriously reviewed and it is hoped that steps are taken shortly in this respect.

The High Court enforcement industry is well aware that their fees scale needs to be seriously reviewed and it is hoped that steps are taken shortly in this respect.

The enforcement industry is very keen to get support from the government to allow them to enforce low value judgments (under £600) but it is well known that the advice sector will not support such a plan unless the fee scale for HCEO enforcement is reviewed. Having taken part in the entire consultation and fee charging regulations etc for over 10 years, I have learnt that it can take a very long time to get changes introduced. Patience is a requirement.

I am looking forward to hearing MOJ's presentation this week on the regulations, and next week; John Kruse's speech on his Bailiff Reform paper. Hopefully, I will have some good news to report.

As it stands HCEO enforcement of low value could turn a £100 debt into potentially £3,000 by the time the HCEO has finished.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!