Unirversal credit & apprenticeship - can son get it?

spitfire1964
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2387 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son turned 18 last weekend and has just completed two years at College for a Sports degree.

He has been offered an apprenticeship for 35 hours a week at the rate payable for appreniticeships which is around £5+ per hour.

Can he claim UC or any other benefits?

Hang on.....

He has done a degree in two years?

Sports science degrees are 3, unless he went to uni at 15

And he has been offered a apprenticeship?

How old is he.

What was his grade of degree?

He doesn't need an apprenticeship he needs a kick.in the pants from his parents if that's the case

You are wrong my friend, you can get a degree and within two years, and my lad achieved it, two years and with a Premiere League Club, Southampton FC., a lot has changed as to qualifications since you and me were at that age.

He can always go back into football and use his degrees but has decided to take a couple of years but wants to add another string to his bow by becoming a pharmacist, his best mate has just been giving a placement and working with the Academy at Porto in Portugal.

As for giving him a kick, lad is probably more advanced and talented than anyone you probably know, so I will pass on that one, but thanks for your advice, but and for the above I do not have such an old fashioned view on how to treat my kids, seems to be working fine, from where I am sat.

You cant do a degree in two years.

Why is he thinking of doing an apprenticeship AFTER a degree....

What was his grade of degree a 1:1, 2:1?????

You CAN get a foundation degree in two years..... but it does not confer Bachelor status unless you complete a third year....... and as such is not considered a full degree in the traditional sense unless you complete the extra year(s)...

Fwiw, SF, the youngsters I know have started their degrees after A level at around age 18 and then taken at least three years to complete them.

Is your son living with you in case it affects people's answers please?

You could try a benefits calculator like entitledto to see what your son might be able to claim.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Have a look at entitled to, SF for your son's possible benefits?

I don't want to take this thread of topic, but are you saying that your son started a university degree level course at age 15 and now has a sports science degree at age 18? As I said, some bright kids that I know have started their degrees at age 18 and graduated at age 21 or later.

I'm pleased that he might want to be a pharmacist, it's a good career but takes a long time to qualify. I didn't realise that football clubs employed them.

HB

No, I have never mentioned a University degree HB, and I am quite sure and giving all the money awash in PL football I would assume that a professional Club like Southampton have their own medical and means of medication without having to to put a prescription in at Boots.

And I never mentioned my lad being a pharmacist at Southampton FC, Lloyds Pharmacy have offered him a placement.

Does he want to be a pharmacist?

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/pharmacist

Or a "Healthcare Partner" in a pharmacy?

https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeship/-141330

The latter can sometimes help get access (& limited course credit) for the MPharm course needed for the former .....

You CAN get a foundation degree in two years..... but it does not confer Bachelor status unless you complete a third year....... and as such is not considered a full degree in the traditional sense unless you complete the extra year(s)...

You can do a fast track degree in 2 years which will give you a degree with honours.

Thank you BazzaS.

As I understand it, if the son wants to be a pharmacist he has to do an MPharm [apologies for any typos] degree first or become a pharmacy technician. I think that spitfire is wanting to claim benefits for the son while he serves his apprenticeship with Lloyds.

It's beyond my experience unfortunately.

HB