Additional Alloy and scratch protection policy

axil23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took out a policy on my car 2 years back for alloys and light scratches to the body work.

Last month I ended up scratching the alloys and scratching the rear bumper.

I reported this last week and was advised that they would not entertain the claim for the following reasons

1. The claim for the alloys needs to be reported within 14 days.

I missed this by 2-3 days.

I simply wasn't aware of this.

2. They claim the rear bumper is two panels where as its one rear bumper with a silver edging going across it.

They don't cover two panel claims. its not two panels.

A panel is a rear bumper as a whole.

I was not advised any of this when I took out the policy.

It was imply a we cover it all sales pitch.

Do I have any rights here?

Bump.... Anyone?

Would anyone know the answer to this please?

The 14 days has to be brought clearly to your attention at point of sale, check your documentation initially sent.

You could argue that 2-3 days would not prejudice the claim in any way as say 2-3 months later bringing a greater likely hood that the damage has been caused by another incident (these policies cover single incidents, not say a build up of damage).

Again with the bumper, it depends how the policy is defined and how it is brought to your attention, a standard consumer I would assume a bumper is one. So in that case, they have to highlight the fact this is per panel.

You always have the right to complain, follow the procedure, and if you remain unhappy follow it all the way to the FOS.

I have now been in touch with the main dealer and they have confirmed that the rear bumper is considered as one panel. Forwarded that to them a few days back and no reply.

Looks to me like they will try and deny all claims initially.

They have now advised me that they will take 8 weeks to get back to me. Which I think its quite ridiculous. Does anyone know if I get the work done myself and take them to small claims court for the £250 will I have a chance?

Also if you take someone to small claims court and loose are you liable for their Lawyers bills too?

For the last part- no unless your claim is vexatious or frivolous. It is clear that the policy is not fit for purpose and has been missold so instead of chasing for money for the scratches tell them that they have misrepresented their position as this is clearly a form of insurance and you want your money back or you go to the insurance ombudsman. When that has run its course you will be in a better position to knw whether a court claim is going to reap any reward.

For the last part- no unless your claim is vexatious or frivolous. It is clear that the policy is not fit for purpose and has been missold so instead of chasing for money for the scratches tell them that they have misrepresented their position as this is clearly a form of insurance and you want your money back or you go to the insurance ombudsman. When that has run its course you will be in a better position to knw whether a court claim is going to reap any reward.

Yeh, fully agree with this.

Another issue with the same company today.

The other half curbed a alloy few days back and I emailed them straightaway for the claim. They wrote back today to say that the alloys were diamond cut which are not covered under the policy. I knew this when I took out the policy but the alloys are not diamond cut. I spoke with Audi who happily provided me written confirmation that the alloys are solid silver and not diamond cut. I sent this onto the Insurance company who replied

We are standing by our decision to reject your claim as your alloy wheels are diamond cut on the rims.

Even though they are not and the main dealer has confirmed this in writing.

Really annoying. It seems they are just declining claims for no reason at all. They have also cancelled my policy.