Plaster repair responsibility; Tenant or Housing Association?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have number of plastering defects around the flat that i rent from Radian housing association.

Im a complete failure when it comes to anything diy related so have asked if they would do it as i feel it falls under their responsibility as quoting from their online documents i would only be responsible for 'filling minor cracks in plaster'.

The defects are several 'plaster pops' where the head of a nail/screw protrudes out the wall with a head of plaster on it giving a kind of roundish raised head of cracked plaster which protrudes when any weight is put on the wall.

you cant just plaster over it it has to be excavated, re-screwed then plastered over.

Also lot of joins in the plaster where one or both edges move independently creating an unsealable crack unless the boards are fastened properly and then re plastered.

They have ofc said that this dosent fall under their responsibility which from experience they always say when they feel they will get away with it anyway :)

Should i chase them up on this?

Thanks.

I would say if it's something that you had no control over or input into then it's not your problem.

It sounds like the fixings were not set deep enough and the plaster has dried around them. If they want someone to pay for this, suggest they try whoever plastered the walls

I would not expect they would have a leg to stand on trying to charge you for poor quality in the building.

If you know anyone in the building trade get them to have a look and write you a letter stating that it is a defcet arising from the time of installation etc. The board edges and screw heads should have been taped over with a special tape before the wall was skimmed. You need to read the complaints procedure and satrt making a formal complain in witing following the steps in the procedure. Eventually they will have to take the matter seriously and if they have any sense get the contractors to come back and remediate the problem they caused by doing it badly in the beginning. Many local gov and HA's cant be bothered to keep an eye on thei contractors and dont force them to make good any bodged job, they jsut pay out more money rather than kicking someone's backside.

why wait? if they are in the wrong waiting a few weeks wont make them suddenly right.

star the complaints now and dont let up until you get what you want even if they admit they are wrong.

Thanks for the replies. I have a surveyor coming out in a few weeks. If they mess me about ill just do as recommended and pester them through official channels.

Who undertook initial repair - OP, HA or previous T?

Ive patched up one or two badly but most have never been touched and are basically just from crap workmanship when the place was built.

why wait? if they are in the wrong waiting a few weeks wont make them suddenly right.

star the complaints now and dont let up until you get what you want even if they admit they are wrong.

Your correct i thought the same thing earlier and emailed them along with a few sample pictures.