First MCOL Claim: Can I include MCOL fees in my claim?

hedgert
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm making a (very!) small claim through MCOL on a point of principle - to recover just £5.

That amount is dwarfed by the £25 MCOL fee - I'll make the claim anyway as I want to hold the other party to account, but can I include the £25 MCOL fee in my claim - or is that disallowed? (I seem to remember than the previous Small Claims Court arrangement, part of the deal was each side paying their own fees - but I can't find any reference to this in MCOL documentation)

yes ofcourse and court costs

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm making a (very!) small claim through MCOL on a point of principle - to recover just £5.

That amount is dwarfed by the £25 MCOL fee - I'll make the claim anyway as I want to hold the other party to account, but can I include the £25 MCOL fee in my claim - or is that disallowed? (I seem to remember than the previous Small Claims Court arrangement, part of the deal was each side paying their own fees - but I can't find any reference to this in MCOL documentation)

There is a risk (albeit a very small one!) that the court will consider that you have 'behaved unreasonably' by issuing proceedings with a cost of £25 for a £5 claim.

Are there any associated issues that make it more reasonable for you to do so (such as where you are claiming nominal damages but also to seek an injunction?)

If not, you might "win the battle but lose the war" (or both, if you lose the case!), as if the court finds "unreasonable behaviour" they can make a costs award (which don't usually feature in small claims track cases)

To give you the experience you need, the £25 fee is automatically added during the latter steps of the claim form process online with MCOL. Just put in £5 as your claims (plus interest if you are claiming but that will be negligible).

There is no such thing as a small claims court - its only becomes a small claim once the claim is allocated to track and it could be well over a month from submitting your claim to that happening.

To echo other posters, watch what you are doing because England and Wales CPR give district judges (and nosey & spiteful court staff) a lot of power so make sure of your pre-action protocol.

In the meantime, an application to strike out your case could go in landing you with £thousands in costs.

Perhaps you should put in a FOI to find out many £5 claimants there are per month?

Good luck!

Edited by miteaide