Local authority conduct/baliffs

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5128 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all!

I rent a commercial unit from the local authority and funds were not received on the 1st of Nov, so as per tenancy agreement they passed on to Bailiff company. We had a verbal agreement that Nov payment would be deferred to dec but that was overridden by the finance team. Before this occurred i was not in any arrears.

I have read the section entitled bailiffs and their fees and it seems that an appropriate person to collect a commercial rent debt would need to be certificated.

The type of letter that was posted through my premises mentions a removals officer and states removals of goods notice but doesn't mention anything about certification or distress for rent.

The local authority have now received Nov and dec rent payment via chaps payment as they refused this via their cashiers office. But bailiff states he can keep calling until council call him off the job and he told me he would visit twice on Friday even though he knew i had paid via chaps (personally delivered copy to finance department on fri)

Nobody has gained access to my premises but yet they wanted £575 charges upon realising that the council had been paid they have reduced this to £200 via my one call i made to them and he claimed he would get the money from the council.

So where do i stand the rent has been paid to the council but the agent that was instructed by the council has done a job even if its posting one letter through my door and engaging in a brief telephone call.

I understand that commercial tennants are treated differently however local authority's surely still have codes of conducts to follow i.e employing agents who offer transparency ie itemised bills not ones made up on the back of a matchbox and who are fit and proper people who conduct themselves in a professional manner

Any views on the best course of action to take next.

Also one final thing is their a maximum amount of times a bailiff can claim he has visited the premises.

Thanks...

Any views before i get myself in too deep !!

Also do i have the right to see any information passed to the bailiff by the local authority, collecting the debt with my details on under the data protection act 1998 or any other legislation??