Roxburge chasing bogus debt in old Nationwide Bank Account years closed

robbie73w
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4502 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a Nationwide account 5 years ago.

I have never used it and there is no money in it.

I moved address several times without notifying the bank.

Now 5 years on I have received a letter from Roxburghe.

No idea how they got my new address but they claim that I owe money from my old Nationwide account.

I have no details of the account anymore

I contacted Nationwide who have told me that the account lay untouched for 4 years

suddenly last year an attempt was made to set up a direct debit for £1000 per month to an account with Cheltnam and Gloucester.

The direct debit bounced and as a result has incurred charges over the course of a year to the sum of £320.

I have told them that it couldnt have been me as I dont live at the address anymore and I have no account details.

What should I do???

Work with Nationwide to try and sort it out. Ignore the tw*ts at Roxburghe. They are terminally stupid.

You might ask Nationwide why they are dealing with a company whose licence the OFT is in the process of revoking because of their appalling business practices? Does not reflect well on Nationwide.

Nationwide have told me to write them a letter explaining whats happened but they say i have to take it into a branch to get my signature verified and my letter stamped before they will accept it and investigate

Nationwide have told me to write them a letter explaining whats happened but they say i have to take it into a branch to get my signature verified and my letter stamped before they will accept it and investigate

They are having a joke. Still if it gets things moving...

I was very tempted to put something like that in my letter. I will go in the morning with my letter and await their response. I think its disgusting that an account which has never been touched in the last 5 years can suddenly accumulate charges. They told me on the phone this morning that it could just be a case of Cheltnam and Gloucester making a typo and asking for money from the wrong account :shock:. WTF....... How on earth does that then evolve into me being dragged through the courts for £320???? It could also be whoever is living at my old address trying their luck to see if they could get money from my old account. Either way im gobsmacked. I was just starting to get into the xmas spirit but this has put a real downer on things

Don’t let it get you down. This really should be simple to resolve. The issues seem clear, and Nationwide have some explaining to do. Don’t let them think they are doing you a favour by looking into it.

Right found what I was looking for - under OFT guidelines the Creditor (Nationwide) are responsible for the actions of their appointed agents (RoxBerks). We have used this before when Rox were harassing someone on behalf of NatWest. Complaint to Nationwide and quote this at them.

Creditor responsibility for third parties

1.9 If consumer credit licence holders choose to do business or continue to do business with third parties engaged in questionable fitness behaviour, then their own fitness will be called into question. Our aim is to ensure that creditors do not ignore the unfair practices of debt collectors, whether in-house or external, acting on their behalf. It is not for the OFT to specify in this guidance how choices about third party selection are made nor to advise on desired conduct between third parties. However, during any investigation in this respect, we would expect to see

that care had been taken in the selection process, complaints had been investigated and that firm action had been taken as appropriate. It would be unlikely that we would take action against a creditor who could demonstrate such action had been taken.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ction-guidance

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

CD, it is called vicarious liability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicarious_liability

The OC is ultimately responsible for the actions of their chosen third party employee.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

UPDATE!!!

Received a letter from Roxburghe today demanding imediate payment of £268????? This figure is not even the amount shown on my CRF or the amount that Nationwide told me was owing. I informed the young man on the phone that I would not be dealing with Roxburghe in any way shape or form as I do not recognise them as anyone I have ever had any dealings with. I also told him that I had sent letters to Nationwide Debt Control to inform them of my beliefs regarding this Debt. I also told him that I was awaiting a reply from Nationwide to tell me how they intend to investigate this and also that Roxburghe should be getting correspondence from Nationwide telling them to halt there actions until an investigation has been carried out to see where this supposed debt has came from.

UPDATE!

I have recieved a letter from Nationwide Fraud Department. They have investigated the situation and can confirm that it was Cheltnham and Gloucesters mistake that has led to this fiasco. They have informed me that they have wiped all the charges and put the account to zero balance and have now closed the account. The fraud department have now passed it on to their lending control people to contact the credit reference companies and remove all entries they put on there. At no point have they apologised, absolutely shocking behaviour from a Building society. Does anyone have any idea how long I should give them to remove the entries on my expeian file. Its been about a week now and the entries are still on there. :mad2: