• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Has anyone obtained a refund from Cahoot

secrets
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have written ist letter to cahoot, to which they replied stating that no charges would be refunded. Am now in process of drafting 2nd letter, but was just wondering has anyone actually had a refund that amounts to more than a few charges refunded?

I have just received an offer for £475 of an £833 claim (see hanson v cahoot), so they will definitely pay half or more. They will always say they won't refund the charges initially in the vain hope that you will leave them alone... but don't believe them.

Hi secrets,

I've received £110 as full settlement for a few charges, for 'customer retention'. This was the result of just two DPA lettes (one with £10, which they disposed of and didn't cash) and two emails. See my thread DPA - Cahoot.

So I know you must be after a lot more, keep on at them, they will crack.

KELD

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. i am trying to get them to refund £350 in charges, have sent 2 letters to them and am now completing the small claims forms and have told them I would be doing so, they (Lee Loftus) e-mailed me to ask for them to be addressed to him........................

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this group and thoroughly fed up with Cahoot. I have just started a new business and asked if they would increase my over draft limit to cover me when my customer pay late (and they do!!) they refused. Hence they have just cheged me over £100 for returning three direct debits. This has goneon on over several years though and my charges must be well into the thousands. Has anyone actually got sa significant sum back from - and did they close your account??

I have just sent my Letter before action, they have until next Tuesday to respond, I received no response to my initial letter. I am trying to claim back nearly £800, I was shocked when I found out how much it was, amazing how they all add up.:eek:

Good luck with you claim, keep us posted!

Michelle

I know some people who work there.......I have it on excellent authority from staff either still there or in their redundancy period (Just been bought by Spanish Bank) they will eventually cough up. Are you writing to Coventry? Basically they have a budget every month that they have to stick to as much as poss. If they can avoid paying out charges they will, ie why they said no they wont be refunding anything in response to your first letters. The next step is to offer a portion of the amount owed in order to keep you sweet, avoid "unnecessary" cost, and keep them out of the press. If you send in your second letters they will have to refund your amounts, including the interest added etc. This is as per my friends in the COMPLAINTS dept at the Friars House building, many of the staff have had this procedure completed already, unfortunately the only people I know who bank with them are staff, so cant vouch for the rest of you but I know what it spells to me

• 3 weeks later...

If it was an offer in the first letter from the solicitors, I would reject the offer by either ignoring it or sending them a brief letter that you intend to proceed with the claim in court and want the full amount. They should offer more/full settlement in their next communications.

Hello I'm new here, and have just had second email replying to my preliminary letter. First was an acknowledgement, the second, a rather discouraging "no".

Here is the bulk of the text

I refer to your letter dated 2nd September 2006 regarding your cahoot Current account. I have taken ownership of your particular case in order to provide a response to the issues you have raised.

>

> We do not accept that the cases that you mention apply in this situation or that cahoot's charges are unfair under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. The object of these Regulations was not price control nor were they intended to interfere with people's freedom to agree the terms of their contracts.

>

> It is well known that banks make charges and cahoot's charges are in line with those of other banks. The terms and conditions of the account and the charges that apply are clear and fair and were provided to you at the time you opened it. You freely agreed to the terms and conditions and the charges when you opened the account. You were not under any obligation to do so and could have gone to another bank if you did not agree to the charges. Equally, you are free to move your account to another bank at any time if you do not agree with the charges.

>

> In any event, we do not agree that the charges are disproportionate. The charges are reasonable and proportionate to the administrative costs incurred by cahoot.

>

> I am therefore unable to refund the charges you've incurred fully appreciating the disappointment this may cause.

>

> If you need anything further please do not hesitate to contact me.

>

Kind regards

a man from cahoot.

Do I respond now?

• 2 weeks later...

hi - I received this response also - though the LBA just says they didn't respond which they did... is this still ok to send or I do I reword to say that you haven't responded to my request for proof of these costs?

Thanks

JKop Vs Barclays SETTLED

JKop Vs Cahoot SETTLED

Jkop V Capital One SETTLED

Jkop V Marbles SETTLED

Jkop V MBNA £422 MCOL

Jkop V Egg SETTLED

Jkop V Cahoot Credit Card SETTLED

Jkop V HSCB £1500 W.I.P!

i'm about to file that LBA but am inclined to write my own version. I think this might have more effect. I'd be interested to know how many people have just sent the library version and how many have written their own... and whether the effects have been any different.

I'm going to reword / compose my own letter along similar lines.

Good luck!

Well my friend who works there was visiting last night, she said cahoot are only paying out at the court application stage. Therefore if you are having problems getting your refunds keep going, they will eventually pay out, though you have to go the whole hog to get them to do so.

I have just had to send the forms to the court - it was 6 weeks ago that I first applied to the court - 2 weeks after that they asked for a 28 day extension, then offered me 50%, which I rejected.

No further offer has been recieved, so I'm continuing with the court action

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks