Jacobs wants to "review arrangement" and increase payments. (CTAX)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a letter from Jacobs today regarding our current arrangement for council tax debt. I'm extremely frustrated, I have never missed a payment with them and even now our current arrangement is a bit of a squeeze, but I pay non the less.

We write regarding your current arrangement of £50 every 14 to clear your debt by installments.

As this arrangement has been in place for some time, and due to the length of time in which our clients allow us to collect their debts, we must now review this arrangement.

In view of this we need increase your payments, and we therefore ask that you contact our office within 7 days so that the matter can be discussed further.

Please note: if we do not hear from you, your current arrangement may be immediately cancelled. This could result in further action taking place which therefor means additional fees may also be incurred.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Letter dated Aug 2, 2017.

I really cannot afford to pay anymore than our current arrangement, I'm obviously going to call them but, I'm not sure what to say/do I can't deal with Bailiffs at my house again, I was a mess last time.

Did they enter your house and did you sign a controlled goods agreement ?

You are probably best to write out an income and expenses sheet, showing that you cannot afford to increase payments and to send this to Jacobs. Also send a copy to the council, with a copy of Jacobs letter.

Don't be bullied into increasing payments to an unaffordable amount. Stick to what you know you can pay.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I really cannot afford to pay anymore than our current arrangement, I'm obviously going to call them but, I'm not sure what to say/do I can't deal with Bailiffs at my house again, I was a mess last time.

Would you mind if I ask a few questions?

How much is the debt that Jacobs are enforcing?

What is the current payment arrangement?

Do you know what bailiff fees have been added to your account?

you have paid approx £1,200 with the balance left to pay of around £800. I am assuming that the figure of £2,000 excludes bailiff charges (which would be slightly more than £310.

It's unusual for an enforcement company to accept such a low figure of £50 per month against a debt of £2,000. Did Jacobs request an Income & Expenditure from you?

If Jacobs request an updated Income & Expenditure, will this show an improvement in your financial circumstances since last year.

I notice that an enforcement agent had not gained entry into your property. Do you have a vehicle parked outside of your home?

Would you mind letting us know a little background information.

There hasn't been any improvement in fact, there's been a decline in my financial situation since making the original Income & Expenditure (which I have proof of) hence why it's a squeeze at the moment, although I do continue to pay as I said.

Yes there is a vehicle but it's parked elsewhere, very much elsewhere.

back when this began a bailiff showed at my door while I was out and left a notice with all their threatening language and whatnot (never actually spoke to any bailiff directly).

Called up Jacobs and we made the payment arrangement after going through the whole Income & Expenditure forms and the amount I stated (£50 a fortnight) is what I've been paying for month and months now, had no bother at all, I just make a payment online and print off receipts as proof, just in case.

Then out of the blue, I receive this letter (quoted in my original post - verbatim) saying that they want more.

Their letter IMPLIES they want more, but are willing to discuss. I doubt they will accept less than £50/fortnight, as that is what you agreed to pay to clear the debt in approx. 20 months. Council's are under some pressure to collect outstanding C Tax.

Unless you were told at the time of setting up the payment arrangement that it would be reviewed after 12 months, then the agreement is a binding one on both sides.

I would suggest that on Monday you draft an up to date Income & Expenditure and contact Jacobs to explain that your current financial circumstances are slightly worse than a year ago and that as far as you are concerned, the payment arrangement set up 12 months ago is binding agreement on both sides and that as you have not defaulted on the terms agreed that you intent paying at the agreed rate until such time as the debt is paid in full.

PS: I know that it is difficult, but would you be able to increase your fortnightly payments very slightly (perhaps to £60 a fortnight?)

Unless you were told at the time of setting up the payment arrangement that it would be reviewed after 12 months, then the agreement is a binding one on both sides.

I would suggest that on Monday you draft an up to date Income & Expenditure and contact Jacobs to explain that your current financial circumstances are slightly worse than a year ago and that as far as you are concerned, the payment arrangement set up 12 months ago is binding agreement on both sides and that as you have not defaulted on the terms agreed that you intent paying at the agreed rate until such time as the debt is paid in full.

PS: I know that it is difficult, but would you be able to increase your fortnightly payments very slightly (perhaps to £60 a fortnight?)

I know - Maybe to £51 a fortnight ^__^

Id have to agree - A payment plan in place providing it is adhered to is binding for both sides. Where are you up to right now as far as amount outstanding?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Are you paying 2017/8 direct to the council as well?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just got off the phone with their office..

. Gave my details and whatnot,

explained the letter to the woman on the phone and apparently they "review" arrangements every 3 months (I don't recall anything like this before) to make sure my financial arrangements haven't changed.

She confirmed that I'll continue to pay the £50 on Wednesday (my usual payment day) and that was that... Weird. Fingers crossed that's the end of that then.