Historic Debt - Unlicensed Vehicle fine despite not owning a vehicle

mrdonj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Received a letter on the 20th July 2017 (Despite the fact it is dated 10th July 2017) stating an imposed amount of £250 from the HM Courts and Tribunals Service. Apparently the fine was imposed at a magistrates court in October 2009. The offence occurred in March 2009. The car was registered in my name at my old address (I moved houses in July 2009).

Those were the details given to me when I phoned the historic debt phone number (since the letter simply states the cost of the fine, not the reason why it was imposed etc). Was also given the name of the street the vehicle was spotted on.

They advised me to fill in a statutory declaration form? How do I obtain one? Does it cost anything?

I have also spoken to DVLA. The only information they could tell me was that their has been an update on the vehicle (I imagine it may have possibly been scrapped since the vehicle doesn't exist when trying to find if it is taxed or not) and that it was registered in my name at my old address.

What is the best way to proceed. I bought my first car last year so clearly someone has registered the car in my name unknowingly to me. At the time I was still in college and living off EMA (£30 a week lol) so buying a car was never on the horizon. I have specific dates for when the fine was imposed and when the offence occurred if need be.

You can do a statutory declaration at your nearest Magistrates at no cost. They will have a standard tick box type form for it. But you would need to furnish them with all of the details.

The declaration is that no Magistrates summons was received and that you could not defend on the basis ( explain in brief).

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

So I should go with the no summons received rather than exploring the fact that I did not own the vehicle in question?

From what i recall from the Magistrates forms i have seen posted, there are only a standard range of reasons for statutory declaration being completed.

How do you prove you never owned the car, if you used that ? Where did DVLA get your name from ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread