Jump to content

private landlord and proof of tenancy for housing benefit problem?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

HI I moved to a private flat-share around a few months ago. The agent at the time didn't want to give me a full tenancy agreement. I wasn't really fussed as i was working and paid my rent on time. Unfortunately I recently lost my job and have been forced to claim esa.


The landlord does not usually accept people in full time employment and i have no intention of risking my accommodation . I need proof of address as i am allowed by law to apply for housing benefit and i am under no obligation to tell him i am unemployed anyway, BUT i need proof of tenancy


What possible reason can i give him to ask for proof of tenancy?


I have also been told by housing benefit that i do not actually need a tenancy agreement just proof of residency etc. SO i assume for housing benefit just a letter stating when i moved in and how much rent i pay and what room i live in etc


Can someone offer me some advice? Im only staying here for four months and I'm recovering from an illness i have no option but to stay here at the moment. What reason can i say that i need proof of tenancy other than for housing benefit?



Link to post
Share on other sites

A letter to HB dept stating you have lived at since in a flat share and your rent contribution is £x, may suffice, since not all ASTs have to be in writing.

HB can then visit and ask your flatmates for confirmation.

Did you register on Electoral Roll at that address?

I assume you meant LL does not accept HB claimants?

Your LL will prob find out, but that restriction should not apply to existing Ts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think that will suffice? they asked for a letter and proof of rent?


so the question is what REASON could i ask my agent why i suddenly need proof or rent and when i moved in OTHER than for housing benefit?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your LL also your flatmate?


How do you know he will not accept HB


Maybe you could be a little creative by saying your hours are being cut for a short time and you will need to claim HB


My LL does not accept HB but when I lost my job he agreed to let me remain as long as my rent was uo to date

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Link to post
Share on other sites

once you are there the LL has no choice. What are they going to do? try and chuck you out and when it gets to court fall flat on their face if you can show the rent is being paid? If you pay rent by nay method there is normally a paper trail, even cash. For example if you can show you take out the rent money every friday from a hole in the wall machine then that is enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...