Who is responsible for the master socket?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an Openreach engineer booked for tomorrow and BT are adamant their tests show it's an internal problem so I will be charged.

The line is dead, no phone and no broadband.

At first I was told to go through the checks for faulty equipment - fair enough.

Currently there is one of their filters plugged into the test socket on an Openreach installed master socket and the only thing attached to that is a BT hub.

Now they're saying if it's the master socket

I'll have to pay because it's inside the house and I own it.

Is this right,

if so I'd rather pay the local ex BT guy £40 than BT £130.

Do I own it?

Am I responsible for it?

no the master socket is their responsibility.

take everything out of the socket.

plug in a std old style phone.

do you have a dial tone?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We've been through the whole testing setup and have nothing.

No phone, no broadband.

The latest explanation as to why I'm going to be charged is that

'they don't come and take it back when I change provider therefore it's mine'.

They then tried to liken it to my electricity meter

- which I'm not responsible for either as far as I know but they're convinced this strengthened their argument.

If I don't cancel the Openreach engineer I'm going to be charged even if he doesn't fix it.

There's no chance to see what he says - it's a call out fee.

no the master socket is their responsibility.

take everything out of the socket.

plug in a std old style phone.

do you have a dial tone?

dx

This is precisely what you need to do.

BT's own everything from street to main socket.

Your responsible from anything plugged into main socket.

Unplug everything.

Plug 1 phone into main socket without a filter.

Dialing tone on phone= problem with your equipment.

No dialing tone= BT problem

Thank you both - that's what I thought

but the tone from BT has definitely gone more towards an aggressive charging policy since I last had any problem though it's been a good while.

After the initial advice that it was our equipment we had unplugged everything and phoned from a mobile,

they claimed to test the line again and their test indicated faulty equipment within our house.

I said there was no equipment plugged in and that's when the attention shifted to the master socket being owned by me.

I'd left it with just the hub connected because it's BT equipment.

Am I better off doing that for when the engineer comes or should I plug the non BT phone in?

I don't want to give them any excuse to charge and I've been warned by a neighbour the engineer will put 'non BT equipment' on the form to raise a charge.

We don't have a BT branded phone.

try any phone to see if you hear a dialling tone then un plug it,

nothing to do with BT phone having to be used,

bt are the pits at the call centres and believe you me I have had so many experiances over 50 years thru them.

they even tried to state my line goes thru the far east exchanges to get to a solicitor 35 miles away, that is how these phone jockeys knowledge

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Whos the provider? I work as a telecoms engineer.

When i advise people about raising to OR - We state that if there is a fault found with internal wiring etc then its chargeable.

The socket is there as an interface to the BTO network and BT are responsible up until the connector you use to put your phone in.

IS it an NTE 4 / 5 (This is a filtered faceplate built into the socket?)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Well the engineer came, plugged something in and went to leave saying he'd be back soon.

I asked where he was going and he said 'to fix your phone line' as if I was stupid.

I said BT had told me the fault was showing as inside my property and he just rolled his eyes, shook his head and left.

About half an hour later he returned and all was fixed.

How can BT have been so sure this was a fault on my equipment within my property when it clearly wasn't.

Their texts made it quite clear their tests indicated it was, each one 'inviting' me to cancel the engineer so I wouldn't be charged.

When I phoned they claimed to be running a test on the line and then confirmed it was my faulty equipment as far as they were concerned.

I fully expect to be charged and have to fight to get it refunded.

Allow me to explain.

BT's Initial tests will show a fault at an area of the line.

From that point it then goes into further testing once a fault is submitted before being allocated into a workflow for a BT engineer to pickup.

The engineer will then get further notes on his PDA to advise of what the further testing results came to.

He will then proceed to investigate the particular area (Narrowed down from the original test) and check for variances as per below;

Once this is done he can see what the issue is.

The below is for an FTTC connection and is what we see when doing testing to an advanced level;

Anyway to answer your question,

It may come out as Customer Equipment, but the fault is in the lead up to the property etc...

Testing isnt 100% accurate.... and can lead to false positives.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.jpg

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Anyway to answer your question, It may come out as Customer Equipment, but the fault is in the lead up to the property etc...

Testing isnt 100% accurate.... and can lead to false positives.

OK, I get that and I've had a faulty line before when I wasn't with BT and although I was warned there would be a charge if it was my equipment it wasn't nearly so aggressively worded. What's more, there wasn't anywhere near the same determination to try and convince me that the main socket was my responsibility - when it isn't. I was first told it belongs to me because 'they don't take it away when I change provider'. When I said they don't take the line away either that's when it changed to likening it to my electricity meter - which I also don't own. They must be told to say these things to customers.

Most of the call centre people front line have moved back to the UK so there shouldn't be a language problem. They are not trained to be aggressive they knows its BT Openreach property they will advise of a possible charge if its your equipment thats faulty but that ok as you should check before they come out. All calls are recorded so i would ring up and make a complaint as the person who was aggressive and didn't know there job needs further training