• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

cabot/nolans Ordinary Cause Claim - old sainsbury HBOS loan debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone

I started getting letters from Nolans probably around 2 months ago about a Personal Loan debt that was from years ago.

The debt is not on any of my credit files so it was a surprise to get a letter from a sols about it.

Its a Sainsbury's Bank Loan for £16k that i took out on 9/7/09,

very shortly after (around 6 months lost my job).

I had been making token payments of £20 per month to originally Blair Oliver & Scott who after around 1 year, passed the debt to Cabot around Nov 2011.

I continued the £20 per month till around Jan 2016

then I lost my job again, and couldn't pay at all.

If I am being honest,

i thought due to the time since i took it out (8years ago) and the fact that it was off all 3 credit files (equifax/Experian/Callcredit) It had been written off by the creditor.

Im always weary with debt letters as the terminology is always "we may" and very rarely "we are doing" but being so close to having a clean credit file the letter has came as a bit of a scare.

Any advice?

I can post a copy of the letter with personals omitted if it helps?

thanks PIXeL_92

I am just unsure whether to ignore the letter, as the wording says

"TAKE NOTICE that unless you make payment of this debt IMMEDIATELY application may be made to the courts to issue a SHERIFF COURT SUMMONS against you"

they say may.... i guess i will hold off and see what else gets dropped throught the door.

Cheers

not statute barred then

and a shame you got spoofed by Bl Ol Sc [bOS]

then latterly crapbot into paying

as this would have been statue barred by now

the debt is not on your credit file as it was most probably defaulted more then 6yrs ago and has been removed on the defaults 6th birthday.

if I were to be honest

this could get sticky

you've blindly paid till jan 2016.

get an sar running to HBOS get all the statements.

read the complete sar link thread too

if you've moved since taking it out.

for the minute

ignore cabot.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 months later...

Hi @dx100uk thanks for clarifying.

today I got court paperwork through via nolans/cabot with a form 07 and 03.

I don't want to challenge this as I'm in the process of buying a house and my entry date is may18 so don't want any mortgage acceptance issues.

I called nolans who raised the action on behalf of Cabot and they said I need to send the stuff back to the court with an offer to pay.

What I want is to make an offer each month of say £100 that doesn't give me a CCJ or damage my almost perfect credit file.

Will returning the form 03 asking for "time to pay direction" ensure that I don't get a CCj??

There is also an option to pay monthly via a "time order" from the CCA1974.

I just want to be able to offer a monthly that doesn't harm my file.

What is the best safest option.

Ps I don't have the money to pay In full.

did you get that SAR sent??

shouldnt be talking to anyone

never ever ring a DCA or their Dogs!! ever!!

they are not bailiffs

time order you be you best bet. £20PCM

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no it does not prevent the decree.

the debt itself is already defaulted

so no matter what happens, the account will vansh on the defaults 6th birthday

regardless.

now if you break the time order

then theres always the chance they go for enforcement.

but that's nothing to do with the debt entry

it would appear as does a CCJ in the public section for 6yrs.

so simply don't break the time order

and they

• 2 months later...

Hi again.

Following on from previous advice I applied for time to pay and suggested I think it was £30per month.

I think I applied for time under the CCA1974 and not a time order as such.

I have now received a court citation to attend regards my application.

Is my attendance normal?

I was expecting to be able to close of this matter via post.

When attending is there anything I should be prepared for,

or is my attendance just to confirm my income and expenditure and thrash out a monthly payment?

Thanks for any guidance.

was this an ordinary cause or a simple procedure claim

and what form did you fill out and send beck?

you keep disappearing for months on end

its hard to help when you do that

esp doing things we don't know about and p'haps advising differently or making sure you get things right before you responded

and they

Hi dx100uk sorry for disappearing.

I was sent a form from the courts giving 2 options either a time to pay direction (which I think u suggested i apply for) or a time order under CCA1974.

I was planning to follow your instructions and apply for a time to pay direction but it was also asking for copies of the agreement that I did not have.

Also 1 had 1 or 2 days before my time was up to respond and I was going abroad for xmas

I ended up using the time order application from the CCA1974 only because it did not request proof of agreement.

I hand delivered it to the court and like I say now have a citation to appear in person on 22nd jan.

Just wanted some guidance from here.

I apologies again for appearing casual on this it was more holidays and work getting in the way.

Thanks again

was this an ordinary cause or a simple procedure claim they filed?

and what form did you fill out and send back?

surely you kept a copy?

and they

I have to apologise.

I think I have been confusing you and me.

I have been mixing the 2 different routes up.

I have checked the paperwork and what I appear to have done is NOT apply for the time order as u suggested but in fact time to pay for debtors 1987.

I was filling the time order route out and it asked for a copy of the regulated agreement which I did not have.

So I filled out the other form which was applying for a time to pay direction debtors Scotland act 1987.

I have been confusing the 2 in my previous comments.

But this is the case.

It's an ordinary action.

didn't need the rest of it just the last line.:lol:

and they

so what form did you fill out and its number PLEASE!!

and where did you get it from.

I need to know.

and they

so this one?

and they

which sheriff court is this please

and they

go give them a ring [the sheriffs clerks office]

tell them you filled in the wrong part meaning to do a time to pay

and are puzzled why you now had an order to appear.

and they

I called the sheriff court.

The young lady I spoke with was very nice and said I have been asked to attend as Cabot financial has rejected my offer of £30pm, the judge will just want to see if im able to afford more.

The letter to attend is stating that I have made an "application for a time to pay direction" when i asked further the girl checked and said it is under the debtors scotland act 1987.

if I can attach a picture I will.

If attending court under my current application ensures I DONT get a CCJ,

even if I have to pay a little more say £50

then I will be ok to let things role as they are.

Of course any advice would be gratefully received.