DWP to shut 68 Jobcentres across Britain with 750 jobs at risk

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A total of 750 jobs are to be put on the line as part of a Jobcentre shake-up that will affect 68 branches over the next twelve months.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has confirmed plans to overhaul its high street network with 68 offices to be merged into larger ones nearby, and four to shut down permanently.

A further 40 to be moved into local government buildings under 'efficiency' savings.

The DWP explained the changes will save more than £140 million a year for the next 10 years and will offer better 'value for the tax payer' - it added that 80% of Jobseeker’s Allowance and 99% of Universal Credit applications are now made online.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/dwp-shut-68-jobcentres-across-10747868

There is a full list of the branches to be divested in the link above.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ha ha, ha ha ha ha, oh karma works in wonderful ways sometimes, you reap what you sow DWP, see you on the other end of your vile actions, now you'll get to see just how unfair your system is.

Edited by Andyorch
edited

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ha ha, ha ha ha ha, oh karma works in wonderful ways sometimes, you reap what you sow DWP, see you on the other end of your vile actions, now you'll get to see just how unfair your system is.

Nice isn't it :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

But it also affects the claimants, or do they not matter?

It never mattered before.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

fewer staff = claims and appeals go even slower

Fewer offices = people travel further at greater cost and time

Do think of that while you're dancing on graves

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

The people that sit behind the desks dont create the system. They just bumble on with doing as they are told.... Like the rest of us... Don't blame the people, blame the systems creators.

I feel sorry for anyone that's facing redundancy

I'm sure that the job is hell and half the people they meet are hellish as well but it doesnt stop them starting off by treating each person they meet as being a decent human being with a need or a problem to overcome.

My first encounters with their centre staff was due to receiving incapacity benefit as a right based on NI contributions and the to undergo their medical assessments when that wasnt necessary and contrary to the legislation covering it. They thought that they had some sort of power of life or death and threatened me with removal of the benefits I was receiving when they had no such powers, they were rude, didnt address anyone in a professional manner, unapologetic for their individual errors etc. The system may be rubbish but the individuals are not obliged by the system to threaten you and tell lies and when you point this out to them call the police to have you removed from their office because you insist they call you by your professional title rather than your first name or refuse to leave your wheelchair downstairs (Look up anything on Cherry Orchard Rd, Croydon). I wouldnt interview people in the way they do as it causes antagonism in the first place.

Myself was on crutches needing knee replacements after being ill health retired.

Knowing nothing about the dole i signed on with job seekers allowance. Not once did they tell me should have been on Employment and support allowance.

They said i had to attend Mandatory work activity for a month. That being a Roof Thatcher.

Stated look i am on crutchcs so they sanctioned my benefit for a month. Appealed and got it back at tribunal some eight months later.

So excuse me if i have no sympathy being without electric and gas for a month and being disabled. Call it Karma myself

Edited by obiter dictum

fewer staff = claims and appeals go even slower ''Couldn't go any slower if they tried''.

Fewer offices = people travel further at greater cost and time ''Home visits or paper assessments increase''.

Do think of that while you're dancing on graves

Look forward to it, perhaps they should have thought about it whilst they were bullying claimants to death, they deserve everything they get, join the back of the queue lets see you have some of your own medicine!

It is really disturbing that anyone celebrates the fact that another person loses their job through no fault of their own. But perhaps nobody here knows what working for the DWP is like. The majority are on annual contacts, and these are rarely renewed after two, so that people don't get any of their employment rights. They have targets and rules to follow, and if they don't, they are dismissed out of hand, and as a result of my first point, they rarely have sufficient service to challenge it as unfair. The wages are so low that there is an entire benefits building devoted to doing nothing except process the benefits claimed by low paid DWP staff. Sickness rates for stress and stress induced illness is through the roof - there are actually a wide number of examples of people ending up with abiding mental illness as a result of their experiences in these jobs. They are hated and abused by claimants, and they are hated and abused by targets and unforgiving senior managers, not one of which will lose their jobs here! And for all of them that end up used up and on the dole, as they usually do when their two years are up, nobody cares because there will be literally thousands of bright eyed and bushy tailed people applying for their jobs before they have even vacated them! Have you never wondered why they continue to recruit so many people on an ongoing basis when there is a jobs freeze on? And they'll get applicants, because the idiots think that they're applying for a civil service job and once they get in they'll be set on a career path - more fool them. They'll learn. The hard way.

If you want a better system, elect people who make the system better. Don't blame the people who end up having to apply the rules that others write. And if you voted for those who have written the rules - well you got what you asked for. I am plenty old enough to remember very different times, when people who worked with those signing on for benefits showed compassion and commitment. Because that was what the people writing the rules had. Blame the people responsible - not the workers. I dare say that of those who celebrate such things, if we knew what you do, we could probably find sufficient reason to celebrate cutting your jobs too. If we were that way inclined. I'll never celebrate a job lost and a person on the dole. It's not karma. It's tragedy. Every time.

It is really disturbing that anyone celebrates the fact that another person loses their job through no fault of their own.

Not quite everyone is celebrating the news. It is unfortunate that the front line staff have to suffer condemnation for policies imposed by the ruling bodies and the lack of resources to actually help the customers. One would hope that the axe falls falls on the chain of management, starting at the top and working its way down to the few advisers that truly do deserve to go. But as you point out, it will be the ones on fixed term contracts to go first and the managers will be scrabbling for redeployment elsewhere in the organisation.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.