• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NHS PPC Fraud!

ElectricW
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2457 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Everyone please be aware of a NHS FRAUD which they say is "legal" and there is no defence!

For many years I have had an NHS PPC (pre payment card) for my regular prescriptions.

I was not aware that on my 60th Birthday, I would no longer have to pay for prescriptions...

But the NHS did, and so in their kindness CANCELLED my PPC arrangement PRIOR to my Birthday (they say they will do this if your renewal is less than 9 months from your birthday).

They say they wrote to me in Feb - but I did not see any letter from them them until April / May!

They say they "wrote to me".

Now have to pay for the prescription I collected a few days between the expiry of my card and my 60th Birthday, plus £100.80 fine!

I accept paying the £16 or so for the prescription, however I feel that the £100.80 PENALTY payment required on top is out of all proportion to the event that they themselves engineered!

Even if they did write to me to inform me - they made no attempt to confirm that I had been notified - but they say there is no defence: I signed to say I had a valid PPC when I did not (because THEY cancelled it, NOT me!), therefore I commited Fraud!

Please be aware of this NHS fraud and do not get trapped!

I am still arguing with them - but they say there are no grounds and I must pay.

If I commited Fraud, it is because they created the situation!

Is this another way of raising money for the NHS?

Edited by ElectricW
punctuation & explanation

So, correct me if I'm wrong but they didn't cancel an existing card they just prevented it from being renewed as you were turning 60 within days of the expiry of the card?

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

I guess as an argument - you are correct - However, they they didn't actually "prevent" renewal - they merely failed to automatically renew - having supposedly told me (no traceability on the snail mail) that they were NOT going to renew. A message I did not see until at least 2 months after they sent it (for whatever reasons). So I saw this letter at least a month after I had signed that I had a PPC - which I believed to be true.

I am have elevated my responses to them to an "official complaint".

I have just received this reply to my latest questions from them:

>>

Thank you for your email regarding prescription exemption checks.

1. Your very first Pre Payment Certificate (PPC) was set up in 14/02/2011, and it was valid from 13/03/2011 up until 12/03/2012, you have had a PPC for every year since then.

2. Your last PPC expired on 12/03/2017.

3. You picked up your prescription on 15/03/2017. (this information was stamped on by the pharmacy when you picked up your prescription).

My birthday is on the 26th, so this is a very narrow window. In fact, I should have picked up my prescription earlier - in fact, I will try to find out when the prescription was raised. Perhaps I can argue that at the time the prescription was raised, I was under a PPC ? This may be useful in my court action. I intend taking this to small claims court as I am asserting that the fine is in total disproportion to the prescription or the value of the drugs. (I will ask my Pharmacy for the value of the drugs as part of my defence.)

On second thoughts, I will also ask this question of the NHS - Every question I ask them costs them money in Admin to respond!

Let me help you save a bit of tax payers money look at the tear off strip that you get when you get a prescription it clearly says the exemption must be valid on the day you are asked to pay this link will help http://psnc.org.uk/dispensing-supply/receiving-a-prescription/patient-charges/exemptions/ the relevant part is under questions.

The amount of the fine is part of the

The National Health Service (Penalty Charge) Regulations 1999 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2794/contents/made whether you think its too high is another matter but legally that's what they can charge so I don't think you will get much joy from the small claims court

So it boils down to who is responsible for ensuring that you have an up to date valid exemption and I am afraid the answer is you and that's made very clear on the prescriptions and on posters in the pharmacy

If you hadn't been coming up to 60 and therefore soon to be exempt (which you state you were not aware of anyway) when would you have expected the DD to come out of your account to cover your prescriptions after 12/03 when would you have expected to receive your new PPC exemption certificate with the new valid from and to date, and why if the DD did not come out of your account and a new certificate wasn't issued didn't you yourself query it before you got your next prescription

I don't wish to save the "penalty" tax that I am having to pay

- I am going to cost the NHS money in admin in return for the money they are stealing from me

- I am spending MY money, not the "Taxpayers".

They cancelled my payments, so they caused the problem.

Oh Yes, it's all very well saying "look at your bank statement"

- I have several bank accounts and several credit cards.

I check them all regularly for incorrect or suspicious payments

- but I don't go studying each one for a payment that has not been taken, or taken late unless it has come to my attention for some reason.

And as I was not aware the exemption at 60 years old,

I had no reason to scrutinise my regular PPC payment.

The tax payers money that I was talking about is the tax payers money that goes towards funding the NHS including the money they have to use for 'admin' to deal with people who dispute fines.

And as I stated,

if you were not aware that at 60 you would get free prescriptions then you would have expected to have a DD still set up and money taken out of your bank account the fact you didn't notice is not an excuse that the NHSBSA would really accept, what did you think when your new card didn't turn up in the post?

On what grounds have you already appealed

you could go down the 'can show that you did not act wrongfully, with any lack of care' route https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/penalty-charges/prescription-exemption-checking-service

but they could argue you did show lack of care by not checking your bank statements but it may be worth a second try

I don't wish to save the "penalty" tax that I am having to pay - I am going to cost the NHS money in admin in return for the money they are stealing from me - I am spending MY money, not the "Taxpayers". They cancelled my payments, so they caused the problem. Oh Yes, it's all very well saying "look at your bank statement" - I have several bank accounts and several credit cards. I check them all regularly for incorrect or suspicious payments - but I don't go studying each one for a payment that has not been taken, or taken late unless it has come to my attention for some reason. And as I was not aware the exemption at 60 years old, I had no reason to scrutinise my regular PPC payment.

So, to summarise:

You signed to say that you had something which you did not,

despite the fact that the very thing you signed explains that it is your responsibility to check and in an act of petulant revenge you're going to somehow 'punish' the NHS for following the terms you had explicitly signed your acceptance of in collecting your medication because your financial arrangements aren't sufficiently well organised?

How wonderfully public spirited of you...

• Haha 1

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

NO I am saying as I stated earlier that the NHS engineered this situation. I accept paying for the prescription, but I think the penalty is out of all proportion in the circumstance. So if I have to pay a "penalty" then I will derive satisfaction from the NHS suffering an "Admin Penalty" at my expense.

I have worked full time all my life (until being made redundant recently), they have had plenty of money out of me already. And they can forget any "goodwill" from me in the future regarding any fundraising to help the NHS. They have burnt their bridge.

The NHS did not, as you put it, 'engineer' anything. No one sat in an office with the sole intent of creating a gap of a few days in which you had been identified as being likely to collect your medication and thereby commit fraud. Instead, they operated within their publicly available terms and conditions. Your ignorance of these and any defence based on the same is meaningless the moment you signed the prescription to indicate your acceptance and understanding of those very conditions. If this were the consumer contract section of CAG the first question anyone would ask is 'what did you sign and what where the Ts and Cs. A lifetime of work and contributions is admirable, no doubt but it does not mean that your entitlement to prescription medication changes. The system, in its entirety can only work when rules / terms / conditions are fairly and consistently applied to all. Nevertheless, although your goodwill toward the NHS may have ended, you and your family can rest well knowing that NHS' goodwill and commitment to providing care has not.

So they wrote to you to tell you what they had done, But you say it took you 2 months to read it for "Whatever reasons"

Does that mean that you just didn't bother opening it and reading it until you received your fine ?