• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Analysis: Klarna breaks the billion dollar revenue barrier View the full article
    • No it's not on my credit file, never has been either 🤷‍♂️
    • Ok thank you. So, am I implying correctly that even though I am overseas, and able to have any correspondence to the UK address forwarded to me, there is still a chance that bankruptcy proceedings could be brought against me?   Selling the property isnt really an option.    Also I'm a bit confused. In reply ~12 the advice is to get the defaults and let them run their six year course, but if I make small payments wouldnt that keep the clock running?
    • Well, we have also been done by Yewtree Cars/James Harrison! We bought a Land Rover Discovery from him off a dealer site on 28th December 2020. He advertised it as 1 loving owner (true, I tracked him down on Facebook, really nice guy!) throughout the advert WOW full dealership service history, WOW new cambelt, WOW new MOT, WOW full valet including decontamination clean WOW, WOW, WOW!!! We paid £4500 for the car plus £280 for delivery from Solihull to Winchester. He sent 3 texts reminding us to ‘look after the delivery guy cuz he’s a top man’! Soon worked out that HE was the delivery guy! They dropped the car off and scarpered. It was dark when it arrived, initial thoughts were it was disgusting inside. I have never seen such a filthy interior. He even left his sweet wrapper inside. He drove the vehicle down to us (we thought that we were paying for a transporter). It was running on fumes, so we took it out to get fuel. Straight away noticed automatic gearbox slipping. Not a good start. Next day messaged dealer asking for the receipt, twice, he said that he was in Dubai (in his dreams!) for 2 weeks but would send it when he got back.  Before he delivered the car, he said that if we weren’t happy he would personally come and collect it. Sent him a message (I like to keep proof of conversations) to say that we certainly weren’t happy and wanted to return it. His reply was - SOLD AS SEEN, YOU GOT A CHEAP CAR! Thinking we would have to cut our loses, we had a new gearbox put in, only to find that the crankshaft had also gone and then the bottom part of the engine had to be replaced. Also the suspension at the front was leaking oil (mentioned as an advisory on the previous mot, which he said had been done). He forged an entry in the service book saying that it had just had a cambelt change (false Land Rover stamp), confirmed by previous owner and Land Rover. So, after 8 weeks of being at the garage and £7000 - YES £7000! later we certainly did get a cheap car from him. Are we going to let this go? NO! I have found out his real name and I am going to pursue him through the court until I get this money back. He is the worst kind of confidence trickster, a lier and a thief. We will have no hesitation in scouring Solihull for him, whatever it takes.
    • You want to avoid any CCJ's, by ensuring all UK creditors have your current address abroad.  Also as dx suggests, making small payments based on current affordability would be wise.   Keeping the accounts running with original creditors bu making minimal payments, will give you time to consider options.   If it were myself in this position, I would be thinking how quickly could I get the tenants to vacate the UK property and how quickly could it be sold.  This would enable me to at least retrieve some equity after repaying any secured loan and the equity would then enable me to plan the next steps in my life.  I am not advocating walking away from debts, but I would be thinking, that if I end up with CCJ's or worse Bankruptcy, then with additional costs being added, I would have no money left.  And worse, if I had  to sell the property quickly, it may sell at a reduced price and I could still owe a debt after it had been sold.   So may be you should be getting some formal financial/legal advice in the near future, to see what you can do, to protects your interests as much as possible.    
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Got Historic LIfe or PPI Insurance with Hamilton Life?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1339 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...