• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case on this topic that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. Should this ever happen to me, I will make an appeal at the first stage to avoid any problems that may occur at a later stage. Although, any individual in a similar position should decide for themselves what they think is an appropriate course of action. Also, I continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tax Credits Overpayment - no income of my own

mrsd1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I received a letter yesterday from Rossendales saying I had to pay almost £3300

within 7 days due to HMRC saying I owe for overpaid Tax Credits from 2009-2010.

I disputed the overpayment at the time, as HMRC wanted proof of my childcare costs

and I was in dispute with my childminder at the time for an incident with my daughter

where I removed her from their care and they refused to give me receipts,

saying their paperwork was with their lawyer as they were going to do me 'for slander'....

I explained this to HMRC and said I couldn't provide the receipts.

Haven't heard anything for at least 4 years now,

and all of a sudden I have this letter from Rossendales saying they are collecting it.

My personal circumstance has changed massively since the dispute,

I am now married and a homeowner,

however I am currently on maternity leave which will become unpaid after the end of February,

where my only income will be my child benefit (my husband wants me to stay at home).

Question one - if I have no income myself, what can I say to Rossendales?

Question two - will they take my husband's wage into consideration? I wasn't living with him at the time of the supposed overpayment and the debt would not be his.

Thanks in advance

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I will try and find someone who can help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Can you post back to let us know whether the letter that you have recently received is called a Notice of Enforcement. It should have a date of issue and a date by when you must contact the company to either pay or to make a payment proposal. Can you let us know both dates.

It doesn't say Notice of Enforcement on it.

It just has details of the Client, amount, reference number, their reference and the date of 11th Jan.

Then the letter says i have 7 days to pay in full or to contact them to make a payment plan.

I suspect this is Rossendales working in their capacity as Debt Collection Agent rather than as Bailiffs.

If you are able to depersonalize the letter they have sent you and upload to your thread, we will be able to tell you for sure.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Righto they are acting in their capacity of Debt Collection Agents NOT Bailiffs

- whilst I would advise you wait for more knowledgeable people to respond

- I think you need to raise the issue of the dispute again

asking them to provide proof of the balance and how it has been calculated.

Do you now have access to the receipts that were being withheld by your childminder ?

You should be able to send a Subject Access Request to HMRC

(this is a request for data and might provide information regarding the balance).

IMHO, I think you should keep everything in writing when contacting Rossendales

- either receipted email or by snail mail with proof of posting.

BCOBS

It doesn't say Notice of Enforcement on it.

It just has details of the Client, amount, reference number, their reference and the date of 11th Jan.

Then the letter says i have 7 days to pay in full or to contact them to make a payment plan.

CitizenB is correct in that this debt is from the Debt Collection part of Rossendales (as opposed the the bailiff/enforcement agent side). Accordingly, they cannot seize goods of yours and neither can they charge enforcement fee. If the debt is dipsuted then I would do as CitizenB advises and dispute the debt in writing.

Thanks for the replies. I still wouldn't have receipts from the childminder, they have moved since.

What would the subject access request do if I'm still unable to prove my childcare fees? Do I raise the dispute with Rossendales and how do I go about that?

I feel that as I cannot prove my fees, this will never be written off, and then I am back to needing to pay it, at what point do I tell them I have no income of my own? Will they demand payment by my now husband?

If this "debt" is solely yours, then they shouldn't be able to make your new husband responsible for it.

BCOBS

several threads here on DCA's chasing Gov't benefits or whatever debts.

ignore the DCA totally

liaise with HMRC direct

if necessary send HMRC a Free SAR.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Subject Access Requests (SARlink3.gif) can be received by email, letter or fax, but the request must be in writing. The request will be to see copies of all customer records including telephone callslink3.gif

The customer can make a request for all records, telephone calls or computer records. This is known as a full SAR request. Any requests for correspondence, claim forms or award notices should be dealt with as ‘routine business’

A SAR request can also be for copies of

telephone calls only. This will be dealt with by the Call Retrieval Team situated at the Contact Centre head office in Manchester

telephone calls and correspondence. The Call Retrieval Team will deal with the telephone calls on this request and Tax Credits Office (TCO) will deal with the correspondence.

The SAR Team gather the information once they have established the type of SAR request

The information needed for the SAR must be sent to the SAR Team within 5 working days of any HMRC Office receiving the SAR request

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/tcmanual/tcm0138280.htm

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have been advised I owe HMRC Tax Credits overpayment dating back from 2009 of £3300.

I have been through disputes and SAR etc,

but as I am unable to provide childcare receipts from this time,

I cannot get out of having to repay. :(

My question though:

The debt is from when I was a single parent, living alone with my daughter.

I am now married, and I stay at home with my new son and my daughter.

I have no income other than child benefit.

My husband has nothing to do with this debt as it was from before we lived together.

We have not claimed any tax credits since moving in together in 2011.

Will HMRC demand payment from my husband for this debt?

Or can I call them and ask them to put any repayment plan on hold until a time when I am working again (likely to be from Sept 2018 when my son will be able to have funded childcare.)?

They cannot ask your husband to pay your debt, however if you call to discuss a repayment plan I don't know what they look at for incoming/outgoings assessment. Had a quick look and the form is not published so unless someone has seen it before, don't know if his income included in calculation.

Just in case things change & you were to make a joint tax credit claim -they might claw back your overpayment from there.

Have HMRC actually proved the overpayment exists?

They like to assume things because the law allows them to do so and force you to prove a negative

They can only take it from any benefits that you may receive, either now or in the future and at a rate determined by your disposable income but that will include hubby's.

if you dont get any benefits, including state pension they cant collect it at present,

I wouldnt be in a hurry to be paying anything to them yet and see what happens when you return to work and would wish to claim for childcare costs then.

Limitations Act prevents them from taking any other action so dont be volunteering to pay them with real money

Thank you both for your replies.

The trouble with the whole thing, and why I had it in dispute previously, is that back when this all was being paid, I had a big falling out with the childminder I was using, for hitting my child.

I withdrew her immediately from their services and it all became rather nasty, with them making threats etc.

In all of this,

I had no receipts for the childcare I had paid for (stupidly had paid cash, first childminders I had ever used and hadn't asked for receipts as didn't expect things to go like they did)..

I had no proof that I had actually paid any childcare.

The childminders refused to give me receipts,

telling me that they were with their lawyers

(I'm guessing as I was paying cash, they never declared it themselves, but that's another matter).

So despite me disputing it, and being entitled to the payments in the first place, I haven't been able to prove anything, so I have to pay them back.

I've actually just rang them, the guy couldn't have been nicer.

My debt has been put on hold, in a few months I can expect another letter asking if circumstances have changed etc etc and I'm to contact them once I am working again, but until I am, I can't be expected to pay it off.

I feel like a huge weight has just been lifted off my shoulders,

I've had the letter a week now and have not been sleeping and too scared to mention to my husband in case they demanded the money from him.

I had a previous letter in January 2016 and had ignored it hoping it would go away and it always niggled at me that it would catch up.

If anyone else is in similar circumstances, they were really lovely and just call them and get it sorted. Don't bury your head in the sand like I have been for so long.

it is unreasonable for them to want you to produce receipts for something that happened over 6yrs ago.

and they

The disputes etc all happened a few years ago.

I have been stupidly ignoring it for a long time hoping it would just go away on it's own.

I'm sure that the timings were all ok back then with them asking for the proof,

I just haven't been able to sort it out and it's been a few years since they asked for the money back,

until Jan 2016 and again last week.

you still dont get it,

you dont have to pay them back and they cant force you to.

As said,

they can take it out of your pension or other benefit at some time in the future but only at a cartain level.

I would still be fighting this,

have you made a formal complaint about it?

If so did they respond and did you then dispute that response and ask your MP to take the matter up with the Governamnt Ombudsman? No?

well you know what to do next and it isnt sitting there bemoaning your accpeted fate.

Get after them and make them justify their actions and assumptions..

If someone else is a tax dodger then you say you are happy to make a statement to the effect of I paid £x per week for y weeks to whoever and they never gave me a receipt etc and if there is anyone who can help corroborate this name them as well.

It is not about getting someone else into trouble, it is about rubbishing HMRC's claim

Edited by dx100uk

• 3 months later...

Update to this thread -

I've just had a man pounding on my door (I was getting out of the shower, my toddler son is napping)..

. I go down and see who it is and he says he is from HMRC and wants to come in to go through my finances.

I was shocked and scared, I had been reassured on the phone in June that the debt was suspended and that all I would get is a letter and would just have to call them again to suspend further until I start working again and can start to repay them.

The guy is coming back on Friday morning (I was in a towel and in tears on the doorstep)...

I called HMRC and they've said it is genuine and that I should never have been told that I wouldn't have people knocking on my door again

(I was under the impression that I'd just need to call whenever they wrote to me and let them know when I work again, so would not have bailiffs etc or threatening letters anymore)

I'm still sat here in tears, I don't understand what he is going to look at or how I prove I have no income of my own other than child benefit.

I can't believe they can just turn up unannounced and pound on your front door

- I'm actually physically shaking and almost had a panic attack when he left.

I have nothing to hide but then I have never falsely claimed but could never prove otherwise and just feel this is all out of my control now.

I would imagine it's not HMRC direct, more than likely a powerless DCA pretending to have the powers of a Bailiff or the Police!

They are trying to make you feel like you are a criminal, which you are most certainly not!

You do not need to answer your door,

write a letter of complaint to HMRC that you had a threatening man knocking on your door,

while you were alone with your son and was terrified for both of your safety.

Personally if he comes around again, just call the police, without hesitation!

Next thing you need to do is start an appeal,

Google how to do this.

It involves to start sending off an

SAR

Filling in Tax credit form TC846

The repayments they are asking for are ridiculous, the reality is that HMRC will take your income into account and none of this will go on your credit file at all! I had a £12,000 'demand' and the figure of £50 per month was discussed, once I actually found someone sympathetic at the Tax Credit Office.

I managed to get the whole ridiculous overpayment overturned. anyway !

I also found that once I received the SAR (500 pages!!) I found holes wide enough to drive a bus through. Someone at the Tax Credit office had exaggerated my salary by £6000!

Also may I ask? Have you tried making another claim. If you are entitled to even a fiver per month, they will take it all as payment and get right off your back!!

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

powerless DCA

you fell for it.

and they