La Mancha

Parking at Legoland - refused to pay, drove thru cones...

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 910 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I recently visited Legoland with members of my family-the first such visit in some years.

On driving up the approach road to the car park, notices informed me that there was now a £6 parking charge- formerly it was free.

I was not prepared to pay the charge and on leaving at the end of the day did not purchase a ticket.

The exit was controlled by barriers across two lanes and a third was closed off with cones.

I drove up to one of the barriers and told the member of staff that I was not prepared to pay the charge and could he please raise the barrier.

He summoned a manager who asked me why I would not pay.

I explained that no contract existed between us and that no service had been supplied.

I also said that if he wished, they could pursue the charge through the civlil courts,

but that in preventing me leaving, they were unlawfully detaining me, which was a criminal offence.

They refused to raise the barrier and I moved my car to the coned off lane.

I got out of the car to move the cones but staff replaced them before I could move off.

I was told that I would have to wait until the staff went off duty at an unspecified time.

At one point a staff member placed a hand on me as I attempted to move the cones but was dissuaded by my saying "DON'T touch me".

After playing cat and mouse for a while,

I pushed the cones forward with my car and managed to drive off.

Entire incident lasted about 15 mins.

Any comments; in particular, was my view of the law correct?

Wow. I have no idea what the legality of your actions is but I just wanted to say I admire your commitment to your principles.

Most of these venues are horrendously expensive and I completely understand why paying for parking seems a total rip off.

Best guess is that unless they have ANPR in place they will have no way of identifying your car and of course the driver who may not be the registered keeper.

I'd wait to see of you get anything in the post and if you do social media shaming and local newspapers is the way to go as well as the POPLA route.

you are on a sticky wicket for not leaving when you refused to accept their offer of a contract if the parking charge was made clear before/as you entered otherwise your argument is on the terms of the contract, not the offer per se. were you expected to pay on leaving or arrival? It appears on leaving so I would suggest that Legoland dont have much of a claim if you refuse to pay because the terms of their offer were unclear but your post isnt specific enough to say they were entirely in the wrong..

As for false imprisonment, that is an act against the person, not a vehicle so you could have got out of the car and walked out of the premises and that would have caused Legoland some problems as to what to do about your car as they cant legally remove it until notice has been served upon you about its unauthorised presence. Flattening their cones would be criminal damage

Now, moving cones- should have got a passenger to do that both for safety and logistical reasons, if the passenger took the cones a distace away it would take the employee a while to go and retrieve them whilst you performed your maneouvres.

It flabberghasts me to see the level these companies have sunk to when screwing every pound out of their customers. I have visited Legoland before and like other amusement parks you take your children (or grandchildren in my case) there and derive no benefit whatsoever from your £30 paid as an adult and they know it but wont cahnge their pricing structure becasue fairness would cost them too much lost revenue. Youa also get this with the National Trust with charges to enter their properties and now parking as well. There cannot be that many locations where peopel will drive say 5 miles from the nearest town with a bus stop and park up and NOT visit the plce they have just driven to. There may be the odd selfish walker but generally, if the NT is that desperate for the money they should just add 50p a head to the entrance fee. They argue that members then dont pay fo teh parking but there is nothing to stop the annual membership dues reflecting this. When you visit the cafe you dont pay separately for the tea, sugar, milk and teaspoon.

You were expected to buy a ticket from a machine in the Park and present it on leaving. The parking charge was advertised on the approach road to the park, but it isn't really an option to turn round and go home, or to park outside and catch a bus, having paid over £200 in admission charges.

The other passengers in my car were disabled and it wasn't practical to ask them to move the cones, or to walk out of the park. I could argue that I was effectively being detained because we did not have the option to walk out of the park.

Anyway, I don't expect any comeback; I was just interested in the legalities of what I did.

tickets for entrance bought beforehand? That changes the contract offered to you if they dont highlight the parking rip-off fees with the entry ticket purchases.

However, other aspects of your account give me cause for concern so I will make clear that I do not necessarily agree with your course of action but have offered an opinion on why I think that Legoland have got things wrong and ideally should revisit their charges and how they address problems when they arise..

When viewing legoland online, car parking fees are shown in both a ribbon at the top of the website and also offered as an extra during the purchase process...

Best 'I have disabled passengers in car so I'm not going to pay for parking' thread in ages.

There must be some admiration for doing it, but do you cause this much trouble everywhere you go?

H

40 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

Well, the rides at Legoland are a bit tame so I needed a bit of excitement.