• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Horrific Fire In London As Tower Block Erupts In flames

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Grenfell Tower fire: support for people affected

Information about the support available for people affected by the Grenfell Tower fire on 14 June 2017.

This page contains advice on where to seek urgent assistance and information, including the official helplines for this incident.

It also provides guidance on support services available for victims and all those affected by Grenfell Tower fire.

Urgent advice and support for victims, their friends and families

The Grenfell Fire Response team are currently responding to what the community are telling them they need. If you come to the Assistance Centre at Westway Sports Centre, Crowthorne Road, W10 6RP you will be able to access services and support provided by the team from 9am to 11pm.

There are a range of support services available in the Assistance Centre. This includes housing needs, emergency funds, health, social care services, experienced volunteers from the Red Cross and other organisations, food and above all, a kind and sympathetic team of people ready to provide advice on anything.

A Red Cross helpline is in action to help give practical or emotional support to anyone who needs it and capacity of this is being expanded to give people a central point of contact. The number is 0800 4589472 - available 24 hours.

Residents who are displaced due to the fire please call the Kensington and Chelsea Council housing line on 020 7361 3008.

Any family and friends concerned about their loved ones please contact the police investigation team on 0800 032 4539. If someone was reported as missing and has been found safe, please call the police investigation team with an update.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/grenfell-tower-fire-june-2017-support-for-people-affected

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure as yet, but it is looking like they bought American paneling because most UK manufacturers dont make this cladding anymore as they sell in the EU so make stuff that meets the more stringent EU fire regs.

Still trying to find out how many (possibly thousands) of buildings are encased in this fire and cyanide generating poison.

The UK still hasn't banned it and will only likely address high rise buildings entombed in it (at local council and local taxpayers expense)

and IGNORE any/all lower rise schools, hospitals etc encased in this hazardous stuff.

It generates cyanide gas when burning as well as being highly inflammable.

Who remembers when settees and chairs used to be made of this poisonous inflammable stuff way back in the last millennium?

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Apparently there is so much confusion within the building regulations - the cladding is ok as long as it is used with other fire retardent components !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Apparently there is so much confusion within the building regulations - the cladding is ok as long as it is used with other fire retardent components !

and Aluminium aint up to the task it would seem

Perhaps encasing it in a foot of concrete might suffice ?

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

I see that some residents in privately owned tower blocks are now also seeking assurances that their buildings are safe. I assume that would be down to the owners / landlords of those?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Crikey, just seen this article re corruption in the building industry in Egypt - a building that had permission only for 4 floors [but went up to 13] just collapsed !

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jun/26/alexandrias-leaning-tower-became-emblem-corruption

When the 13-storey tower block toppled it exposed problems at the heart of the construction industry in a country where 400 residential buildings collapse each year

Pensioner Madiha Abdel Alim was heading home to her flat in Alexandria when she looked up and noticed something strange: the 13-storey block in which she lived was suddenly tilting precariously over the narrow road.

Concerned, she immediately contacted the local authorities. “They did nothing,” says Alim. “They said, ‘oh, that’s normal. It’s a very tall building’.” Three days later, the tower toppled and crashed into the building across the road.

Soon, images of the “leaning tower of Alexandria” went viral across Egypt – seen as an emblem of Egypt’s compromised construction industry, its legal loopholes and frequent corruption. Miraculously no one was hurt in the collapse of the Azarita block, but its residents lost their homes and many were forced to take refuge at a local mosque.

BCOBS

Fire brigade raised fears about cladding with councils

London Fire Brigade warned all 33 councils about the potential risks of external cladding on tower blocks in May this year, the BBC has learned.

It followed tests on panels from a high rise that suffered a fire last August.

The insulation panels were made up of polystyrene and plywood, and tests concluded they were the likely cause of the fire spreading up the outside.

The fire brigade urged councils to review their use and "take appropriate action to mitigate the fire risk".

READ MORE HERE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40422922

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The whole system appears to have been a mess - now they are saying that experts had warned about exposed gas pipes in the hallways !

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/27/grenfell-tower-gas-pipes-left-exposed-despite-fire-safety-experts-orders?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=232568&subid=22841961&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Grenfell Tower gas pipes left exposed, despite fire safety expert's orders

Council expert said pipes serving flats must be protected with fire-retardant boxing but, by time of fire, two-thirds were still bare

Dozens of exposed gas pipes in Grenfell Tower that caused residents to fear for their safety were left bare despite a council safety expert ordering them to be protected by fire-retardant boxing.

The National Grid agreed to protect the pipes serving individual flats, which had been installed over the winter, but had only added a third of the boxing by the time the deadly blaze killed at least 79 people.

In March, three months before the blaze, residents told the London fire brigade (LFB) that people living in the 24-storey tower were so scared by the pipes “that they are having a panic attack”.

Jevans said that the National Grid assured the council on 27 March that the pipes would be protected, but two-thirds of the lateral pipes were still exposed when the disaster happened on 14 June.

The works were originally undertaken by the National Grid’s gas distribution arm following a leak. In March, the firm was sold to investors, including the Qatari government, and renamed Cadent Gas.

Cadent said the “work was still ongoing to box in the lateral pipes [horizontal pipes to flats]” when the fire occurred.

BCOBS

BCOBS

UK Govt won't pay for fireproof cladding on risky towers

BRITISH councils face bills running to hundreds of millions of pounds to make tower blocks safe after the Government said it would not guarantee extra money to pay for vital work to prevent a repeat of the Grenfell disaster.

Ninety-five high-rise buildings in 32 local authority areas have failed safety tests, the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) said yesterday, with hundreds more blocks still to be tested.

The findings prompted Theresa May to announce a "major national investigation" into the use of cladding on high-rise blocks, with every sample so far tested in the wake of the Grenfell found to be unsafe.

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/uk-govt-wont-pay-fireproof-cladding-risky-towers/3194427/

But despite emergency fire safety checks being carried out nationwide under central government direction, councils will not be reimbursed for refurbishment work carried out.

A DCLG spokesperson said there was "no guarantee" of central government funding and that it would be up to local authorities and housing associations to cover the costs of ensuring residents' safety.

The spokesperson said financial support would be considered on a "case by case" basis for those that could not afford to carry out the necessary work, but did not clarify what the criteria for that consideration would be.

The announcement was met with severe criticism from some of the councils affected, with local authorities already having their budgets severely squeezed after years of austerity measures.

BCOBS

The Tory Legacy

Ahh never thought to look for some real news @ thedaily mail

but

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4646544/Cladding-fire-fears-38-hospitals-university-halls.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4613130/Schools-hospitals-leisure-centres-cladding-Grenfell-Tower.html

Australia in same boat

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/minister-says-all-hospitals-safe-as-flammable-cladding-inspection-continues-20170623-gwxgpg.html

Two types of cladding sold - one is fire resistant

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-test-hospitals-schools-flammable-cladding-48282217

http://www.kawneer.com/kawneer/india/en/product.asp?cat_id=1753&prod_id=3938

Reynobond® is a composite panel consisting of two coil coated aluminum sheets permanently bonded to an extruded thermoplastic PE or FR (Fire Retardant) core material. Reynobond® is suitable for architectural applications due to its flatness, its light weight (in comparison to steel and solid aluminium), and its ease of fabrication.

The Tory Legacy

:lol: I think you might find 'Real news' in all bar the sun and the mirror at the moment, TJ - because there is lots of real stories around.

BCOBS

:lol: I think you might find 'Real news' in all bar the sun and the mirror at the moment, TJ - because there is lots of real stories around.

LOL yes, but the mail has real 'real news' on this with some real depth and real questions. Not just headlines and spin on a 'real' story..

Quite impressed.

The Tory Legacy

Yes, as it was apparently perfectly OK within UK government driven regs to do so

but no longer after company suffers a share proice drop and threats of legal action both sides of the Atlantic.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-fire-arconic-reynobonpe-idUKKBN19H1Z3

Arconic ends sales of panels used at Grenfell Tower for high-rises

I'm going to call myself on my statement above

I'm no professional expert on this, but I now believe this sort of cladding DOES NOT meet fire regs.

It seems it was passed despite being in breach of fire regs via a loophole which just required an 'expert opinion' on its safety.

So it would fail fire regs, but met government test (or not) confirmation requirements.

The Tory Legacy

I think someone needs to look at the PFI builds PDQ

The Tory Legacy

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/world/europe/uk-grenfell-tower-london-fire.html?ribbon-ad-idx=15&rref=world/europe

"But experts on British fire safety rules say that the material, used as exterior cladding, in fact complied with regulations. Other countries, including the United States, have placed stricter restrictions on how such materials can be used, but Britain had not yet done so, they said."

"Critics of the material have warned for years that aluminum surface sheets can melt in a fire, after which flames could race through flammable insulation. If other protections fail and fire penetrates the cladding, “It is like you have got a high-rise building and you are encasing it in kerosene,” said Edwin Galea, director of the Fire Safety Engineering Group at the University of Greenwich. “It is insanity, pure and simple.”"

"Such a runaway blaze appears to have been precisely what happened at Grenfell Tower. The flames engulfed the building in a matter of minutes, moving from the outside inward and emitting a dark smoke characteristic of burning insulation."

Remember the flammable warships we sent to the Falklands ;)

huh?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Over a hundred high rises and counting

Still waiting for figures on Schools, Hospitals, Universities, Student accommodation, Leisure centers ........

So who initially authorised (or didnt BAN) the use of this material?

Particularly as even the manufacturer labels their own 'other option' in this area as FR (Fire Retardant - not French)

How can any bulk insulating material used in places where there are people, let alone people asleep, NOT be FR?

What is the stuff in MY attic? There when I bought the house???

Who remembers the adverts to check for the kite mark on sofas and chairs so you wouldn't burn to death or be poisoned by cyanide if you fell asleep with a lit fag?

How many decades ago was that?

You couldn't even give those sofas away, and charity shops quite rightly wouldn't touch them.

and here they are letting the same stuff be used to encase buildings decades after the problem was identified.

Lets take it out of the odd few rooms and encase entire buildings in it!!!

Need to rip up my attic floor boarding and replace whatever's there dont I?

Edited by Andyorch
edited

The Tory Legacy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/grenfell-tower-fire-man-arrested-false-claim-relatives-housing-money-metropolitan-police-residents-a7815186.html

Grenfell Tower fire: Man arrested for falsely claiming his relatives had died in fatal blaze to get housing and money

Police have arrested a man accused of falsely claiming his relatives had died in the Grenfell Tower fire to gain housing and money.

The 52-year-old man, who has not been named, came forward in the aftermath of the disaster posing as a victim.

“He was assigned family liaison officers after he claimed that he lost his wife and son in the fire,” a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said.

There had to be one, didn't there? Having spoken to neighbours, it was discovered the man didn't live in the Grenfell building.

BCOBS

Checked my loft insulation and it does appear to be flame retardant

:-)

The Tory Legacy

Now they are saying that the government testing was flawed ?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/30/tower-block-cladding-could-be-safe-despite-failed-tests-experts-say

Tower block cladding could be safe despite failed tests, experts say

Government advisers to consult on whether panels could be used in some cases while warning that removing them could increase fire risk

But there are growing concerns that the tests are too simplistic to determine whether towers are clad safely. Some critics, such as the chairman of the Local Government Association, Gary Porter, have called for the tests to be halted as a result.

Earlier on Friday, Lord Porter, the Conservative peer, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “The thing that is being tested at the request of the experts isn’t the right thing to test. We need to test the whole panel.”

On Monday, the Guardian revealed increasing concerns about the tests. “The government is fundamentally flawed in its use of the BRE [british Research Establishment] to conduct overly simplistic and limited fire test samples and not the complete cladding assembly,” said Stephen MacKenzie, a fire risk consultant. “The small-scale tests on external panels need to to be extended to a full disassembly.”

He said he had observed the removal of panels in three locations, including Camden, and said he was worried that “we could be pulling off cladding systems that are potentially OK”.

BCOBS

When you ask a charity organisation if they would like a settee or arm chairs they ask if it has the fire retardant label on or they can't take it.

Combustible material on a large scale should have been under that fundamental scrutiny.