Horrific Fire In London As Tower Block Erupts In flames

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/21/kensington-and-chelsea-chief-steps-down-after-pressure-from-sajid-javid

The chief executive of Kensington and Chelsea council, Nicholas Holgate, has resigned after being asked to do so by the communities secretary, Sajid Javid. In a statement Holgate said that Javid “required the leader of the council to seek my resignation”.

His resignation comes after a tide of criticism of the council, not only for the way it responded to the Grenfell Tower tragedy but also for historical neglect of poorer residents of the borough and a neglect of social housing.

Holgate said: “Serving the families so desperately affected by the heart-breaking tragedy at Grenfell Tower remains the highest priority of the council. Despite my wish to have continued, in very challenging circumstances, to lead on the executive responsibilities of the council, I have decided that it is better to step down from my role, once an appropriate successor has been appointed.

This is unusual as well - they usually hang on to their jobs - although I guess if he resigns, his pension is safe and he will likely get a goodbye package !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

thanks CB but want to see my granddaughter grow up, losing one was heartbreaking enough and only me and my youngest daughter look after her grave.

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

BCOBS

thanks CB but want to see my granddaughter grow up, losing one was heartbreaking enough and only me and my youngest daughter look after her grave.

:kiss:

BCOBS

Wonder how they are sorting out subletters from actual folk living there?

Subletters would make an absolute bomb from those proposed new flats, while those who lost everything would be left with nothing.

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Wonder how they are sorting out subletters from actual folk living there?

Subletters would make an absolute bomb from those proposed new flats, while those who lost everything would be left with nothing.

I agree, I think the people who were genuinely living in the property at the time and paying the rent should be the ones rehoused - the original tenants who were profiteering from subletting should not be allowed to profit by being rehoused in a home they can then sublet for more !

BCOBS

I agree, I think the people who were genuinely living in the property at the time and paying the rent should be the ones rehoused - the original tenants who were profiteering from subletting should not be allowed to profit by being rehoused in a home they can then sublet for more !

Absolutely

Subletting of any form of supported or social accommodation should revoke the entitlement of the person subletting the accommodation at the very least.

Not sure that the entitlement should automatically go to the actual person or persons living there, but it should be considered.

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Absolutely

Subletting of any form of supported or social accommodation should revoke the entitlement of the person subletting the accommodation at the very least.

Not sure that the entitlement should automatically go to the actual person or persons living there, but it should be considered.

I thought that sub-letting was not permitted in Social housing ?

BCOBS

Perhaps so CB I wasn't sure,

but if so and the reports about it happening are correct, it would seem it isnt being enforced/managed.

The Tory Legacy

My tenancy says I can't sub let and I have to get permission to have someone move in with me.

There are reports down here (Plymouth) now that the cladding used in the flats in London, were used in some of the tower blocks. The new MP has said it will get removed.

My tenancy says I can't sub let and I have to get permission to have someone move in with me.

There are reports down here (Plymouth) now that the cladding used in the flats in London, were used in some of the tower blocks. The new MP has said it will get removed.

I think funds are being made available to remove the cladding and install sprinkler systems in any blocks affected. It is going to cost a fortune isnt it?

BCOBS

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

BCOBS

Apparently the decision to move them out wasn't taken until 8.30 pm in the evening despite fire safety experts having been at the block all day long.. and the residents reckon the LA was over reacting! The cynic in me says, well if anything does happen now - the decision maker has covered their backside !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40393541

Legally you would have no choice. If the councils legal officer was told that a block of flats had numerous fire safety issues, they would call for immediate evacuation.

Could you imagine if that block of flats caught fire after 8.30pm and a large number of people died. The council would be legally liable and possibly criminally liable.

Trouble with safety issues, is that it is very difficult to come to a sensible balanced position, because legally the sensible position is to ensure maximum level of risk minimisation. We live in a world that is far less relaxed with people seeking to accept risk on behalf of others. Take child protection for example. Most people would moan about social workers interfering with parents raising their children, but in cases where social workers fail to stop children being abused by parents, the same people would moan that not enough was done.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ministers in abrupt U-turn over fire safety in schools

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/24/government-u-turn-over-fire-safety-controls-for-new-schools

Last week, in the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire, the revised draft guidance had been removed from the DfE website. Amid signs of panic, officials tried to insist that there had never been any intention to change policy.

(Schools minister) Nick Gibb announced the consultation on changes in a parliamentary debate on fire safety the previous October. He said the number of fires in schools had declined and pointed out that “including sprinklers in new school buildings would add between 2% and 6% to the cost of works”.

Starter for 10 - spot where this is just wrong on all counts

Schools Minister Gibb added:

“The department’s assessment is that the additional spending would significantly outweigh any relatively modest saving from preventing some damage to school buildings.”

"In the same debate, the Tory MP and chair of the all-party parliamentary group on fire safety, David Amess, said it was “crazy” that under the Tory government the proportion of new schools and academies fitted with sprinkler systems had already fallen from 70% (between 2007 and 2010, under Labour) to 35%. “That is unacceptable,” he said."

"In a letter to schools minister Nick Gibb last August, London fire commissioner Ron Dobson said such changes could have “potentially devastating consequences”. "

The Tory Legacy

Legally you would have no choice. If the councils legal officer was told that a block of flats had numerous fire safety issues, they would call for immediate evacuation.

Could you imagine if that block of flats caught fire after 8.30pm and a large number of people died. The council would be legally liable and possibly criminally liable.

Trouble with safety issues, is that it is very difficult to come to a sensible balanced position, because legally the sensible position is to ensure maximum level of risk minimisation. We live in a world that is far less relaxed with people seeking to accept risk on behalf of others. Take child protection for example. Most people would moan about social workers interfering with parents raising their children, but in cases where social workers fail to stop children being abused by parents, the same people would moan that not enough was done.

I see they are already considering making a legal move to evacuate the residents. They reckon the safety work will take 4 weeks.. where do they intend to put people until then ?

http://news.sky.com/story/defiant-camden-tower-block-residents-may-be-forced-out-10926305

BCOBS

I see John McDonnell is politicising the tragedy..

Grenfell Tower victims 'murdered by political decisions' – John McDonnell

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/25/grenfell-victims-murdered-by-political-decisions-says-john-mcdonnell

He might want to rein in some of the rhetoric, he should remember that the time period he is mentioning takes in the 10 or more years that Labour under Blair/Brown were in charge and it would appear...

While Labour has promised that it would double the rate of housebuilding by 2020 (equivalent to some 240,000 homes per year), one of its London Assembly members has argued that the party should "apologise" for its record on affordable housing.

Tom Copley, Labour's housing spokesman in the capital, said that Margaret Thatcher's government had built more council flats and houses in a single year than New Labour's managed in its entire period in office.

https://fullfact.org/economy/who-built-more-council-houses-margaret-thatcher-or-new-labour/

And whilst Social housing overall did decline during the Thatcher years, a lot of that was due to people being given the opportunity to purchase old stock - which were then never replaced.

BCOBS

Ministers in abrupt U-turn over fire safety in schools

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/24/government-u-turn-over-fire-safety-controls-for-new-schools

Last week, in the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire, the revised draft guidance had been removed from the DfE website. Amid signs of panic, officials tried to insist that there had never been any intention to change policy.

(Schools minister) Nick Gibb announced the consultation on changes in a parliamentary debate on fire safety the previous October. He said the number of fires in schools had declined and pointed out that “including sprinklers in new school buildings would add between 2% and 6% to the cost of works”.

Starter for 10 - spot where this is just wrong on all counts

Schools Minister Gibb added:

“The department’s assessment is that the additional spending would significantly outweigh any relatively modest saving from preventing some damage to school buildings.”

"In the same debate, the Tory MP and chair of the all-party parliamentary group on fire safety, David Amess, said it was “crazy” that under the Tory government the proportion of new schools and academies fitted with sprinkler systems had already fallen from 70% (between 2007 and 2010, under Labour) to 35%. “That is unacceptable,” he said."

"In a letter to schools minister Nick Gibb last August, London fire commissioner Ron Dobson said such changes could have “potentially devastating consequences”. "

I was quite shocked to read that they were even considering relaxing the rules on fire safety in schools !

BCOBS

"Promising to cut “red tape,” business-friendly politicians evidently judged that cost concerns outweighed the risks of allowing flammable materials to be used in facades. Builders in Britain were allowed to wrap residential apartment towers — perhaps several hundred of them — from top to bottom in highly flammable materials, a practice forbidden in the United States and many European countries. And companies did not hesitate to supply the British market."

"For years, members of Parliament had written letters requesting new restrictions on cladding, especially as the same flammable facades were blamed for fires in Britain, France, the United Arab Emirates, Australia and elsewhere.

Yet British authorities resisted new rules."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/world/europe/grenfell-tower-london-fire.html

The Tory Legacy

Whilst forbidden in the States, it was apparently an American company that sold us the cladding ?

BCOBS

Whilst forbidden in the States, it was apparently an American company that sold us the cladding ?

Yes, as it was apparently perfectly OK within UK government driven regs to do so

but no longer after company suffers a share proice drop and threats of legal action both sides of the Atlantic.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-fire-arconic-reynobonpe-idUKKBN19H1Z3

Arconic ends sales of panels used at Grenfell Tower for high-rises

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/world/europe/uk-grenfell-tower-london-fire.html?ribbon-ad-idx=15&rref=world/europe

"But experts on British fire safety rules say that the material, used as exterior cladding, in fact complied with regulations. Other countries, including the United States, have placed stricter restrictions on how such materials can be used, but Britain had not yet done so, they said."

"Critics of the material have warned for years that aluminum surface sheets can melt in a fire, after which flames could race through flammable insulation. If other protections fail and fire penetrates the cladding, “It is like you have got a high-rise building and you are encasing it in kerosene,” said Edwin Galea, director of the Fire Safety Engineering Group at the University of Greenwich. “It is insanity, pure and simple.”"

The Tory Legacy

Wonder how many schools and hospitals are encased in this stuff?

The Tory Legacy