Horrific Fire In London As Tower Block Erupts In flames

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Guardian online has a lot of comment about the building, its renovation and how residents' fears were ignored. The management of the building aren't coming out of it well, or the contractors, but nobody is going to want to admit they could be in the wrong, are they?

I noticed that no one from the Management were available for comment either. I see the not for profit company pays it's CEO £476,000 +

If you look at some of the articles - there are several layers of "responsibility shifting" - Contractors hired to do the refurbishments, then subcontracted to several others - so who is to blame for this disaster.

Apparently the installation of sprinklers in these buildings was considered and discounted - despite proof that buildings with sprinklers in are far safer from fire.

There is talk that high rise buildings/office blocks that are inhabited by the rich and powerful do not have any of the problems that Grenfell Tower and similar social housing buildings have. Social housing is not built to the same high specifications. Presumably this is on the basis of, if they were to be built so, then they would cost more to build and rents would have to be higher.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the press are also being criticised and so they should be - perhaps had there been some investigative journalism into the shoddily built rabbit hutches, then something might have been done about it sooner.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/15/london-fire-17-confirmed-dead-as-police-expect-more-fatalities-after-tower-block-blaze-latest

from 16.01

One volunteer, Sinead O’Hare, said the fire and loss of life had tapped into a deeper sense of resentment and alienation.

“People are angry about years of Tory policy of cutting corners and costs, and refusing to take responsibility. The interests of the Tory party are closely allied to the interests of business and private landlords,” she said.

People from other parts of London who are homeless and hungry had started turning up in the area hoping for food and other necessities, she said.

The media is one target for resentment. “You press people didn’t come here when people were blogging about the danger. You only come when people are dead,” said Calvin Benson, who was carrying a handmade sign saying: “I am not a photo opportunity.”

“You pick and choose your stories. The blogs have been active for years but no one was interested.”

Several photographers and camera operators have been pushed, jabbed and shouted at as anger and tension have overtaken initial shock at the fire.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

BCOBS

Johnson was warned from all sides. The Tories were warned from all sides. They now have the deaths and terrible injuries of innocent people on their hands.

And it seems they don’t care a toss.

Residential tower blocks are inherently dangerous for obvious reasons and successive Labour governments more than any other encouraged the building of this type of cheap social housing.

I would have thought it was Keith Joseph MP with the subsidy program that started things off.

Tenants would not want to live in these high rises by choice who would.They would rather have housing.

Joseph subsequently confessed that his policies had been modish and misguided.

The tower blocks were a planner's dream but a tenant's disaster.And still are.

I stayed in one for a month or so, top floor, lifts not working sometimes, fires in rubbish shoots.

Used to hear the rubbish making its ways down 20 odd floors or more.Into a skip.

People sometimes depressed and throwing themselves off.Horrific places to live.

I did not stay there long enough to find out if you get used to living in one.Maybe some do.

Many who sometimes read my threads must think you have moved about a bit,find it hard to believe some things i say.

Moved about 70-80 times roughly.Lived in many strange places.

Used to make me dizzy just looking out of the window.

Used to press my face against the window,or open and look straight down, such a strange feeling.

God knows what those people went through that terrible night.

Reading about the firefighter who used up 4 cylinders of oxygen trying to rescue people over twelve hours because of cuts when usually would be only doing a 4 hour shift before being replaced.

Saying by the time I get home it will be time to start my shift again.

Reading about the MPS who voted against improving tenants right to live in decent conditions.

72 LANDLORD MPS VOTED DOWN LAW TO ENSURE HOUSING IS ‘FIT FOR HUMANS’

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/01/housing-bill-73-mps-who-voted-down-fit-for-human-habitation-clause-are-landlords/

Whatever people's political persuasion we all surely agree it is time for change.

It is hard to believe what has happened and sooner the reason for this fire is found out the better.

And if blame is found, prosecutions will follow.But to late for many.

Many people in high rises across the country. are saying they cannot sleep since this tragedy has happened.

So sad.

• Haha 1

Residential tower blocks are inherently dangerous for obvious reasons and successive Labour governments more than any other encouraged the building of this type of cheap social housing.

Well only Labour build social housing dont they cjregg

But surely the issues arise because Torys take every opportunity to sell them of - usually to their speculator mates to make a profit on, or to 'management companies' who cut costs but pay their 'managers' vast sums to cut the costs..

Ongoing Redistribution of wealth ...

Wonder what will happen to the site..

Torys authorise New million pound+ luxury flats built on it perhaps when the media frenzy cools? Especially as it is surrounded by affluent neighborhoods ..

With of course the nominal few very small relatively 'affordable' flats (only about 350-450k) with the 'undesirable outlooks'.

Maybe not if the pressure is kept up.

Something else Boris Toerag treacherous de self-serving Johnson, Tory London Mayor 2008 - 2016, should be answering for.

Legged it just in time as usual.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

A few links from here and there.Some may need updating as things change rapidly.

Good morning tobyjugg2

In the early hours a catastrophic fire engulfed Grenfell Tower, a block of flats in London. 17 people have died and the death toll is expected to rise. [1] This shocking tragedy is made all the more heartbreaking because it was avoidable. [2]

The government were warned time and time again of the fire risks in blocks of flats like this. But these warnings were ignored. [3] Now, pressure is growing for the government to change the law to make buildings like Grenfell Tower safer when there's a fire. It could make sure a tragedy like this never happens again.

A huge petition, signed by thousands of us and delivered to the government in 48 hours, will prove the public won’t accept any more excuses.

Will you sign the emergency petition to make sure we never see a tragedy like the fire in Grenfell Tower again?

There'll be a government inquiry to investigate yesterday's tragedy. But the fire at Grenfell Tower isn’t the first of its kind. Experts have been warning that the government need to update old-fashioned fire regulations for years. After a tower block fire killed 6 people in 2009, the government failed to act on recommendations to make blocks safer. [4] Now, experts say there are thousands of other tower blocks like Grenfell at risk of fire. [5]

Firefighters from across London and further afield worked throughout the night to control the fire. And hundreds of ordinary people donated money, food and clothes to help families who’d seen everything they own destroyed. [6] Yet again, in a time of national tragedy we saw the absolute best in people coming out to help others.

But we also have the power to make sure these tragedies are never repeated. Will you sign the petition now, before it’s delivered to the government in 48 hours? (It takes less than 60 seconds to sign.)

SIGN THE PETITION

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/2277?utm_source=email&utm_medium=blast&utm_campaign=15_6_2017_grenfell&bucket=email-blast-15_6_2017_grenfell&utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast2017-06-15

Whether you live in a mansion or a high rise council block, it’s the government’s job to make sure the law of the land keeps you safe from harm. This is 21st century Britain, and deadly fires like this belong in centuries past. Let’s make sure this never happens again.

P.S.: The aftermath of the fire at Grenfell Tower is still unfolding. Some people are mourning the deaths of their loved ones, while others are trying to rebuild their lives after losing everything. If you’d like to donate to help those families directly, here’s a guide to what you can do:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/heres-how-to-help-people-who-have-lost-their-homes-in-the?utm_term=.rrap6kGNb#.bsME2JK37

NOTES:

[1] The Guardian: London fire: Met confirms 17 dead with further fatalities expected – latest updates:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

[2] The Guardian: 'Disaster waiting to happen': fire expert slams UK tower blocks:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/14/disaster-waiting-to-happen-fire-expert-slams-uk-tower-blocks

The Guardian: After Grenfell Tower, can we make our tower blocks safe?:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-fire-safety-tower-blocks

[3] The Independent: London fire: Theresa May's government accused of ignoring warnings over fire safety in tower block:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/london-fire-grenfell-theresa-may-tories-accusations-fire-safety-warnings-ignored-tower-block-a7790501.html

The Telegraph: Fire safety expert had warned Government advisors 'entirely avoidable' deaths would occur at structures like Grenfell Tower:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/said-would-lead-large-number-deaths-fire-safety-expert-warned/

[4] The Guardian: Review of fire safety rules pledged by minister last year yet to be published:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/14/review-of-fire-safety-rules-pledged-by-minister-last-year-yet-to-be-published

The Independent: Grenfell Tower: Tory minister declined to include sprinklers in fire safety rules as it could discourage house building:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/grenfell-tower-fire-safety-rules-sprinklers-brandon-lewis-warn-house-building-social-housing-tory-a7790921.html

[5] London Evening Standard: Revealed: 'Chimney' Grenfell Tower cladding is used on blocks across London:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/revealed-chimney-grenfell-tower-cladding-is-used-on-blocks-across-london-a3565786.html

The Telegraph: Grenfell Tower inferno a 'disaster waiting to happen' as concerns are raised for safety of other buildings:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/grenfell-tower-inferno-disaster-waiting-happen-concerns-raised

[6] The Sun: Londoners and celebs offer food, clothes and cash to Grenfell Tower survivors – as families bed down in emergency shelters after losing their home to the blaze:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3795816/london-fire-survivors-social-club-grenfell-tower-residents-homeless-justgiving/

The Daily Mail: £1m raised as offers of help pour in after Grenfell Tower fire:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-4605406/More-500-000-raised-offers-help-pour-Grenfell-Tower-fire.html

Now at least 30 dead and just been told yet another fire in London :/

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I really dont think that the violence that appears to have broken out is going to accomplish anything.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/we-want-justice-grenfell-tower-protest-spills-into-town-hall

BCOBS

It looks like a criminal investigation has been launched by the Police.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/16/manufacturer-of-cladding-on-grenfell-tower-identified-as-omnis-exteriors

In the UK there are no regulations requiring the use of fire-retardant material in cladding used on the exterior of tower blocks and schools. But the Fire Protection Association (FPA), an industry body, has been pushing for years for the government to make it a statutory requirement for local authorities and companies to use only fire-retardant material. Jim Glocking, technical director of the FPA, said it had “lobbied long and hard” for building regulations on the issue to be tightened, but nothing had happened.

It is beyond belief that there are no regulations regarding the use of flammable materials !

BCOBS

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/817723/london-fire-grenfell-tower-block-cladding-fire-resistant-theresa-may-crime-police-firemen

How £5,000 could have SAVED them! Fire-proof cladding cost just £2 more per unit

THE GRENFELL Tower atrocity may have been avoided if an extra £5,000 had been spent on fire resistant panels, an investigation has revealed.

Not forgetting of course the sprinklers which would have been used in a privately owned building housing the rich and powerful !

BCOBS

Hundreds march on Downing Street.Link.Many videos.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/875771969748082688

Now on their way to Trafalgar Square.Things moving so fast,hard to keep up.

Twitter link for latest news and video.Justice For Grenfell

https://twitter.com/hashtag/JusticeForGrenfell?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A875774740153094144

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/world/europe/uk-grenfell-tower-london-fire.html?ribbon-ad-idx=15&rref=world/europe

"But experts on British fire safety rules say that the material, used as exterior cladding, in fact complied with regulations. Other countries, including the United States, have placed stricter restrictions on how such materials can be used, but Britain had not yet done so, they said."

"Critics of the material have warned for years that aluminum surface sheets can melt in a fire, after which flames could race through flammable insulation. If other protections fail and fire penetrates the cladding, “It is like you have got a high-rise building and you are encasing it in kerosene,” said Edwin Galea, director of the Fire Safety Engineering Group at the University of Greenwich. “It is insanity, pure and simple.”"

"Such a runaway blaze appears to have been precisely what happened at Grenfell Tower. The flames engulfed the building in a matter of minutes, moving from the outside inward and emitting a dark smoke characteristic of burning insulation."

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/grenfell-tower-firefighters-put-out-fridge-blaze-and-were-just-leaving-when-flats-erupted-in-flames/ar-BBCWLIn?ocid=ientp

It is being reported that the fire service had been called out to the fridge which is said to have been the trigger - they believed they had put out the fire and were leaving the scene when they noticed the building itself on fire on the outside..

"Firefighters had put out the initial fridge fire at Grenfell Tower and were leaving the building when the blaze suddenly flared up, it has emerged.

Crews believed they had put out the fire at the London high-rise and were astonished to see flames rising up the side of the building, new reports have claimed."

BCOBS

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/21/grenfell-tower-families-to-be-given-68-flats-in-luxury-apartment-complex

Grenfell Tower families to be rehoused in flats at luxury complex

Families will be able to move into Kensington Row complex, where homes are on sale starting at £1.6m, from next month

Sixty-eight flats in a luxury apartment complex where prices start at £1.6m are being made available to families displaced by the Grenfell Tower fire.

Families who escaped the tower blaze will be able to take up permanent occupation in July and August in the apartments in the Kensington Row scheme about 1.5 miles south of Grenfell, where last Wednesday’s blaze left 79 people dead and missing and presumed dead.

The homes are within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea but in the more affluent south end of the borough. They have been purchased by the Corporation of London and will become part of its social housing stock.

I wonder what the rents and rates will be !!

BCOBS

some may not want to ever live in a flat again, know I would not , no matter how luxurious it was

I wouldn't want to live in a flat either SD. It is interesting that the 'Rich n Powerful' are quite happy to live this way.. where us lesser people prefer a house and garden or bungalow !

BCOBS

I used to live in a flat, yes was ground floor and the awful neighbour above us set fire to her flat and whole block had to be evacuated! I would so love a bungalow , live in a semi atm :)

Sandy xx

Very few houses in this village pretty much all bungalows , because of the RAF bases and the low flying aircraft :)

BCOBS

how nice Citizen, I am trying for a house exchange right now lol, not having much luck!

House have now is about 4/5 years old and been here 3 years, it is nice enough but would still like a bungalow if possible and my dream is to live in Cornwall! I doubt will though as where am now I can visit my granddaughters grave and also see my other granddaughter regular :)

Sandy xx

I hope your dream comes true, SD :)

BCOBS