Jump to content


Contribution based ESA - change of address - help with form

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 918 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts


I've recently moved in with my partner. I am in receipt of contributions based ESA until end of Aug. My partner is self-employed.

I rang DWP to notify them of my change in circumstances and was told they would send me an ESA3 form as they just needed my partner's details on record. (I presumed name and date of birth etc.)


I've received the form and it's 49 pages long!!! I rang DWP to see which parts I needed to fill in as there was only a change of address. After waiting over half on hour I managed to speak to someone who said I had to complete the whole form. Surely this can't be right?


My change of address does not affect my income. I know it will change at the end of August when I'm moved to Income related ESA (as I'll have been on ESA 1 yr.) As my partner works more than 24 hrs a week I know I will not be entitled to ESA at that time, I'll then only have my NI contributions paid.

The form needs personal details of his savings, mortgage, etc. Information that would have no affect on my income at this present time.

Have DWP advised me correctly? I've been told to submit the form asap, but with my partner being self-employed he doesn't yet have his end of year accounts completed, and he works away ALOT so not always home to deal with paperwork.

All this extra pressure is making me very anxious. I can't believe that being honest and transparent with the DWP has caused this much stress.

Can anyone advise at all? Any help would be very much appreciated.

With many thanks in advance.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they just have to get all the details to make sure your claim is done correctly. It's the same with most benefits I'm afraid, if you move in with someone you really become joint claimants, as you are no longer "single". So it's not just a change of address, it's a change of the claim.


My advice is to take a deep breath, forget about how long it is etc and for now just fill in everything you can, even if it is just name, address etc. Then get your partner a cuppa and ask him to fill it everything he can. Then look and see what is missing, make a list and get your partner to find out.


Anything you can't answer (no accounts yet etc) just add an extra sheet of paper to say something like, we don't have this yet, we will have it on XX date, this is what we estimate the amount to be.

  • Haha 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyou GamerNic. I really appreciate your reply. Your advice is helpful and I will indeed take a deep breath and make a start. I could understand it if it was income related ESA because that indeed would make a difference. Bureaucracy eh? Better get the kettle on lol. Thanks again.

Edited by quickstepqueen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...