Carphone Warehouse / Faulty Samsung handset

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I paid for a Samsung Galaxy S8 on the 30th March for the early pre-order release date on the 20th April. I purchased online from Carphone Warehouse as they offered 'click and collect' which suited me better as I am unable to take deliveries during the day. The handset cost me £689 as I purchased 'handset only' without a contract.

On receipt of the handset, the seal was broken. I complained to CPW via Twitter who suggested that if I did not want to accept the handset, to return it to store. I explained to them that they would probably not have any replacements for me to exchange as I had preordered for early release so they would only have handsets available for each order, but they didn't suggest anything else or offer to check stock. They asked me if everything was in the box or if it was damaged, but I had noticed a few small scratches. I figured I could live with those rather than wait a number of weeks without a handset until I could have a new one.

On the 25th May I noticed that the camera was faulty under low light conditions showing a pink/red halo. I tested numerous times, I did a factory data reset and also updated to the latest software. I also did a hardware check using the code *#0*# but the fault remained, which showed that it was a hardware issue rather than software. I contacted Samsung who suggested to what I had already done, or advised me to go to a Samsung repair centre.

On the Saturday - 27th May, I decided I'd had enough and took my handset back to CPW for an exchange. They refused to exchange as 30 days had passed since i'd received the handset and just offered to send the handset off to Samsung, or said that I could take it directly to Samsung myself as it's under warranty. I explained that i'd already complained to CPW weeks before as the seal was broken on the handset when i'd received it and they'd told me if it was faulty to return it to a store but they told me that my complaint was not showing on their system. They again reiterated their policy that they would not exchange after 30 days and would only offer a repair thereafter.

I went to the Samsung repair centre immediately after to show them the handset and seek their advice. They said they couldn't figure out what was causing the fault so said that they might have to send it away to Samsung for further inspection. I didn't have a spare handset so told them I would go back a few days later. I ended up buying a second hand phone off eBay and went back to Samsung on Friday the 2nd June. A Samsung rep was actually in the store and managed to thoroughly comopare the device with his own handset and said that it was something they were not aware of. They booked the phone in to have the camera and the back glass replaced. In the meantime I made a complaint to CPW regarding their lack of aftersales support and aftercare and the fact that my initial complaint had not been documented and that I feel that considering the circumstances, I should have been offered an exchange. They just keep reiterating their 30 day return policy and repairs after 30 days.

I went back to Samsung on the 6th June to collect my handset having been informed that the camera and back glass had been replaced, however when I rebooted the handset, the fault remained. They have agreed to attempt to replace the 'main board' but if this doesn't work they will return the handset to me as I will have to take it up with the retailer.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do as I paid nearly £700 for a brand new handset which is clearly faulty. I have argued with CPW that under the Consumer Rights Act, regardless of their 30 day returns policy, they still have an obligation to replace the handset should it be unsatisfactory or not fit for purpose, but they are holding their stance that they will not exchange and will only offer a repair, even though I have told them that a repair under warranty has been unsuccessful.