• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Hi,   I sent the email to both my local councillor and the leader of my local council yesterday evening. I didn't receive an acknowledgement email. Do you know if I should have, as I know that if you ever email an MP you always receive a acknowledgement email?   Walshy
    • Can I ask how your taking him to court with just his a trade name ?  Yes I notice hes still trading on ebay.   
    • Very good finds indeed which help to undermine their case.. And to strengthen your case take a look  look at a thread by Tom Price also at Southend airport which is several threads below yours and you will see that he won his case on the fact that he was stopped rather than parked. On top of that he had the Airports Act  1986 to quote. The relevant section is no 63 " Byelaws are covered at S.63  (2)Any such byelaws may, in particular, include byelaws— (d)for regulating vehicular traffic anywhere within the airport, except on roads within the airport to which the road traffic enactments apply, and in particular (with that exception) for imposing speed limits on vehicles within the airport and for restricting or regulating the parking of vehicles or their use for any purpose or in any manner specified in the byelaws;" That confirms that the roads at the airport are either covered by the Road Traffic Act or Byelaws neither of which is relevant land therefore  PoFA cannot apply. And  VCS should be aware of that. Another thing is that when you posted their WS you didn't include their contract which I missed at the time. However Tom Price included it in his. And guess what-the  alleged offence they are pursuing you for, No Stopping, is not included in their contract. If you look at the end of their Service Agreement [aka contract] you will a list of contravention on Scedule 1 [7] (46) PARKING/WAITING ON A ROADWAY WHERE STOPPING IS PROHIBITTED That is the nearest to what you did. But you were not parking nor waiting -you were stopped so there was no reason to issue you with a PCN as you never broke any of their contraventions. Looks like they breached your GDPR and you should include that as it carries a hefty charge £750 is not unheard of.   Have a read of his WS too which may give you further ideas even possibly to rebut some of the points VCS  make.
    • Lawrence Stroll, executive chairman of Aston Martin, told the BBC he wants to build a firm with a "luxury profile". View the full article
    • Tax rises and an extension of Covid support are both tipped to be announced in this week’s Budget. View the full article
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

DW Sport - Getting Proof of Cancellation

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1365 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Dear Forum,

Just looking for some advice in order not to fall into the well-reported problems with cancelling DW Sports contracts.

- Me and my wife each have a 6 month contract (which will run for 14 months if not cancelled)

- Our contracts started in Feb and March respectively.

- DW Sports terms and conditions allow for cancellation if you have a "change of circumstances" (Clause 12, Section 3) - We are moving abroad on the 15 June 2017

So, we did the following.

1. Went to the gym where the manager got us to fill in the online cancellation form - we did this and got a cancellation code which we wrote down.
  2. The local manager said she would call me back on Mon 5th (today) as she needed to call the head office.
  3. She called back on Monday the 5th and stated that:

• Head Office had agreed to a cancellation and had actioned cancellation of the contracts for after the next payment on July 1st (this is acceptable to us although I'd prefer immediate cancellation).

• She could not provide us with a written receipt of cancellation and that if I needed further proof I would have to use the cancellation code and contact the head office.

• We should not cancel the direct debit as DW Sport would do that.

Am I just being paranoid, or overthinking or should I really pursue them for written proof of this cancellation?

I don't want to have to deal with any BS from this company in the future.

Please advise on the best course of action.

Many thanks in advance for your help! :)

DW's Terms and Conditions under clause 13 (I mistakenly referred to clause 12 in my post above) allow for notice of cancellation at any time with a change of circumstances

(13) You may cancel your membership:

1. by giving us at least one full calendar month's notice to cancel your membership to take effect at the end of a calendar month. During the first 14 month membership period the cancellation of your membership cannot take effect earlier than the end of the 6th month for a 6 month contract or 12th month for a 12 month contract ; or the 12th month for Home Club Memberships or memberships that are discounted or for contacts specified for a 12 month period. For Membership Renewal Periods (which are not applicable to Home Club Memberships), cancellation can take effect at any time by providing at least one calendar month's notice as stated above, even during the first 6 months of that Membership Renewal Period;

2. by providing notice of cancellation at any time if one or more of the following applies (a "change in circumstance"):

1) - you are unable to use DW Sports Fitness clubs because of a genuine and serious injury or illness which results in you being unable to use DW Sports Fitness clubs for a period of 2 months or more, and this is evidenced by reasonable supporting evidence, such as a Doctor's note; or

2) - you are made redundant or otherwise lose your job and provide us with reasonable supporting evidence, such as a letter from your employer on company headed paper or proof of entitlement to Jobseeker's Allowance; or

3) - you move house or your principal place of employment is changed and your new home and new principal place of employment are located more than 10 miles from a DW Sports Fitness club which you are entitled to use. Proof of relocation must be provided in the form of a utility bill, bank statement or signed tenancy/mortgage agreement . Other forms of documentation may be considered at the discretion of DW Sports.

if none of the above circumstances in (2) apply and you are affected by other unforeseen extenuating circumstances, we may at our discretion (and on an individual basis) consider a request by you to cancel your membership. Any such request shall be made to the Membership Services Department on 0344 249 5300; or

you've cancelled

cancel your DD's NOW

and simply pay july's payment now.

tough luck on them if they either don't want it nor accept it as end of the matter

nothing they can do you

neither can any powerless DCA

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and as theres been no Court claims since 2012

credit file cant be hurt either

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

they are aware of your cancellation

end of!

what are you so scared about?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thankyou for your reply!

So, there's no need to try to get a cancellation receipt from the local gym staff? All I have is two cancellation codes I wrote down.

Thanks.

Good question!

I'm most likely mind-reading into the situation based on reading other's reports about cancellation issues...and expecting them to treat me the same!

I'm overthinking it all perhaps..

Thanks

Hi MM and welcome to CAG

If you gave the gym notice to cancel AFTER 1st June, you should pay the DD due on 1st July.

Once you've checked the payment has been taken by DD, the DD mandate should be cancelled by YOU - don't leave it to the gym.

No need for the gym's written agreement - you already have the cancellation code. Just pay the final DD and cancel the DD after.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)